Got my crates, now to crate train...

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
So, I just want to say that Craigslist is THE awesome. I got 1 XL airline crate for $50 and traded for another XL for some camera equipment (35mm Canon camera and 3 lenses, plus carry case and film + detachable flash) I wasn't using. Both crates are almost new, maybe used twice. That was a fairly even trade, the lenses are worth more than the camera was, but I prefer my 12 MP digital touch screen, lol. I've had that camera and stuff for 5 years and used it twice.

My new crates:
The $50 one.

and the one I traded for:

Now it's on to crate training so it's not a horribly stressful trip for them. Lestat appears to know the crate routine already, as when I opened the door when I got the first one, he hopped right in. Lacey will sleep in the crate as long as the door is open, but barks uncontrollably if left in there alone with the door closed.

So, suggestions? For now I'm feeding them in their crates and periodically through the day I'm going to crate them for up to an hour with their kongs, to make it a happy place. I am also leaving the doors open on them during the day if they want to go in. I would like to get it where at least Lestat can stay in his over night so maybe he'll gain some weight instead of racing around all night in the yard.

Any other ideas?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I would recommend replacing the clasps on the top one with screws - I don't trust the plastic clasps to hold up during transport.

For crate training I like to start small and work up - slow is fast in these situations. You might get some good results by periodically dropping treats in the crates when they aren't looking so that there are surprise cookies every once in a while. :)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I would recommend replacing the clasps on the top one with screws - I don't trust the plastic clasps to hold up during transport.

For crate training I like to start small and work up - slow is fast in these situations. You might get some good results by periodically dropping treats in the crates when they aren't looking so that there are surprise cookies every once in a while. :)
I have to anyway, they have to have hardware for international travel according to Delta anyway.

Members online