The dog musing/vent thread

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ugh Blossom gets so many good dog points for being chill while I'm basically off my feet until this **** toe heals. She was really squirrely the first few days, and then she figured out something was up and has been SO good since. She and Keeva play in the yard; Keeva does zoomies and Blossom chases her around with the jolly ball in her mouth and that's their exercise. lol. Good dogs, your crippled owner thanks you.

That said, if she steps on my toe one more time, she will lose all good dog points and even dip into the negatives. Ow.

I essentially got a dog-related job today! :D Interview was this afternoon and went very well. The position isn't until January so I'm to keep in touch until then, but they told me I have it. It's dog walking, but they also have a trainer they like to recommend that I looked up and seems right up my alley, and they said they could set up shadowing for me.

So basically, I'd get to shadow a trainer, do dog walking during the day, come home and take Astro to nosework, agility, and CGC lessons....basically, just become the biggest dog nerd that ever walked the earth.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Without being too graphic, I have had tummy problems all weekend so I had to run to the bathroom. Came back and Mia was eating my dinner. :mad::mad::mad:

SaraB

I start assisting in another class on Wed! And they are already talking about future disc classes after this one ends. They also want me to come in soon to learn the doggie daycare side of the place AND they want me to start brainstorming more class ideas other than disc! Sooo happy!

I seriously love teaching and am so tickled that this place that told me a few months ago that they just didn't have any openings at all is making a place for me.
That's because you are awesome! They would be stupid to let you pass them by!

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I did a bad, bad thing.

Quinn and Ned are getting new collars for Christmas (I feel bad that Dally isn't getting a matching one, but she got a Hurtta not too long ago - still, I think I'll get her one after Christmas).

Ned is actually getting 2.

I am a mixture of excited and "DON'T YOU HAVE ANY SELF CONTROL?!"

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I start assisting in another class on Wed! And they are already talking about future disc classes after this one ends. They also want me to come in soon to learn the doggie daycare side of the place AND they want me to start brainstorming more class ideas other than disc! Sooo happy!

I seriously love teaching and am so tickled that this place that told me a few months ago that they just didn't have any openings at all is making a place for me.

That's awesome Linds!

Totally not surprised though :p

You deserve it <3

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I essentially got a dog-related job today! :D Interview was this afternoon and went very well. The position isn't until January so I'm to keep in touch until then, but they told me I have it. It's dog walking, but they also have a trainer they like to recommend that I looked up and seems right up my alley, and they said they could set up shadowing for me.

So basically, I'd get to shadow a trainer, do dog walking during the day, come home and take Astro to nosework, agility, and CGC lessons....basically, just become the biggest dog nerd that ever walked the earth.
That's awesome, Congrats!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
David had an interview in the city so we took Art and Talon so we could go to the dog park after all the running around. Well, we didn't go to the dog park because we were all tired as it was a long day.

His interview was in the same parking area as Petsmart so I took Talon in for a bit while I was waiting for David. OMG what a stressful visit! I didn't realize it was the friends and family discount days, so the store was just packed. Not to mention a big adoption event so there was a ton of cats and dogs. I walked around for a while and Talon was losing his mind a bit. He was so overwhelmed at first, but I don't blame him there was soo much going on. I tried finding a quiet spot but it took a while. When I finally found a nice little spot we started doing some sits, downs, nose touchs, back ups, etc to try and destress. Worked so good! I'm so proud of him, after that he was soooo focused and good!

Also, he met a few younger kids, who he was previously scared up, but he ran right up to them and sat down ^_^ He even went straight up to Santa! We took a quick pic of him and Santa.

Than David came in with Art and Talon lost his mind with worry because he saw Art than Art was gone. :rolleyes: lol Poor baby whined like a banshee.

He also got a terrible present, a gentle leader. :yikes: He let's us put it on with absolutely NO struggle at all! yay Talon.

Overall, it was stressful and not the right time to be there, but he did pretty OK anyways.

*Edit*

Also, any tips for gentle leader desensitization?

It's been a little while since I had to desensitize a dog to a head halter. Talon will let us put it on no problem. So right now we are putting it on him twice a day, for about 20minutes a day maybe. We put it on in the morning, then give him a kong filled with frozen stuff. Than when he is done with the frozen kong we take off his GL and do it again that night. He doesn't seem to care at all about the GL when he has his kong, there is n pawing/scratching at all.

SO I think the next step we are going to put it on him to do training, something he isn't 100% involved in during the whole time like he is with the kong. Probably up it to 3 times a day for short sessions. Than maybe for short potty breaks with lots of treats, than longer walks.

That's just what I'm thinking of doing, any suggestions? Does that seem like an ok plan?

Saeleofu

I convinced my brother to talk his girlfriend out of getiing a byb doberman...at 5 weeks old, no less, AFTER she paid a nonrefundable deposit. And now she may be considering a Moxie collie instead! She has a love affair with Logan, and she requests his presence when she has a panic attack. And Logan loves her just as much as she loves him lol. If she does go for it, she also wants me to help train and possibly show him :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have joint supplements to give Mia and every day it goes the same way. We fight over if she is going to eat it or not. Even with food, she hates it (and this is the flavored one!). So the first try or two she spits it out, then I look at her and tell her to eat it and she gives me this nasty look and eats it on her own. It cracks me up how she resigns herself.

Ok ok FINE.... Just don't try to shove it in my mouth again.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I have joint supplements to give Mia and every day it goes the same way. We fight over if she is going to eat it or not. Even with food, she hates it (and this is the flavored one!). So the first try or two she spits it out, then I look at her and tell her to eat it and she gives me this nasty look and eats it on her own. It cracks me up how she resigns herself.

Ok ok FINE.... Just don't try to shove it in my mouth again.
Lol bear won't take his comfortis Flea pill ... From me only because apparently he has decided that I am the bad evil medicine person :/. He will tsar it from my mother with no problem! Jerk. >_<

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yesterday Payton and I ran a 5K together. Before the 5K we were in a building keeping warm and other people and their dogs were milling around. I was keeping Payton off to the side since I never know how other dogs will react to him. A girl came over with her lab mix dog and asked "Can she say hello to him? She loves smaller dogs." I said sure but said he's intact and usually bitches are fine but sometimes dogs don't know what to do with him.
She asked if I was going to breed him. I said we hope to but he still has some health testing to be completed first.

She nodded like she knew what I was talking about but I could tell by the look on her face that she was confused and trying to figure out what I meant.

Is it really that strange? People really don't know??

Airn

Yesterday Payton and I ran a 5K together. Before the 5K we were in a building keeping warm and other people and their dogs were milling around. I was keeping Payton off to the side since I never know how other dogs will react to him. A girl came over with her lab mix dog and asked "Can she say hello to him? She loves smaller dogs." I said sure but said he's intact and usually bitches are fine but sometimes dogs don't know what to do with him.
She asked if I was going to breed him. I said we hope to but he still has some health testing to be completed first.

She nodded like she knew what I was talking about but I could tell by the look on her face that she was confused and trying to figure out what I meant.

Maybe it depends on the area but around here, from what I've seen, no one health tests. I had NO idea about it before Chaz. Local breeders I've talked to also seemed a bit baffled by it. "No, their hips are fine. We haven't had any problems with their parents." (And these were not working dogs.)

I think it's a pretty strange thing to consider if you're not really into dogs.

I did a bad, bad thing.

Quinn and Ned are getting new collars for Christmas (I feel bad that Dally isn't getting a matching one, but she got a Hurtta not too long ago - still, I think I'll get her one after Christmas).

Ned is actually getting 2.

I am a mixture of excited and "DON'T YOU HAVE ANY SELF CONTROL?!"
I want to see them! What collars did they get? And if you say Ned got yellow I will cry though.

That's because you are awesome! They would be stupid to let you pass them by!
That's awesome Linds!

Totally not surprised though :p

You deserve it <3
Thanks so much! Sara, seriously you've been so incredibly helpful and supportive during all this, just thank you so much.

So now I need to brainstorm ideas for classes to pitch!

StillandSilent

Shamans previous owner has a new puppy. She didn't even ask about her old one until a tech said something to her. Poor Shaman, even though I know he's better off.

So, who wants a tricolor corgi puppy in 2 months when the new wears off of this one?

Torch

They don't, not at all. I sadly work closely with the general public, and very few of the people I get a chance to talk to about dogs know anything about proper care, nutrition, etc.

Even my coworkers, who know something of my obsession with dogs, cannot fathom why I'm keeping Rhys intact if I'm not going to breed him.

Shamans previous owner has a new puppy. She didn't even ask about her old one until a tech said something to her. Poor Shaman, even though I know he's better off.

So, who wants a tricolor corgi puppy in 2 months when the new wears off of this one?
People are incredible.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lol I feel weird that Cajun isn't being spayed like....today. I always used to think it was weird when people waited till after 6 months. Now I'm weird.

Members online

No members online now.