Sebaceous Cyst

Our Minature Schnauzer, Grace had a knot on her hip bone. Several days ago it started bleeding a little. I took her to the Vet and was told it is a sebaceous cyst. They shaved the hair around it and emptied it out (yech! Think big pimple). They then gave me an antibiotic, Cephalexin, to give her- 250 mgs, twice a day for 10 days. I am very leery of antibiotics after our 13 yr old Westie cut her paw pad, was put on the same antibiotic and then a month later was diagnoised with cyrossis of the liver. The Vet said there was no way the antibiotic was responsible. Anyway, what precautions or advice do you have for me while she is on the meds. The bottle states to give it with food to avoid upset stomach. Any other thoughts or advice? Thanks!

I've had 2 different dogs with very large cysts that were "emptied" and neither time was I given any other instructions than to maybe dab a cotton ball with peroxide twice a day from 2 different vets.

See that is my thinking- why treat her entire body with an antibiotic when it is just a small area on her hip? I just think antibiotics are way over prescribed. But then I am afraid if I dont follow the Vet's instructions and something bad happens I will feel horrible. Arrrgh!

For what it's worth, I never had any problems with either dog and I didn't sue the peroxide past the 1st day and the fact that 2 different vets in 2 different states never mentioned using antibiotics in the treatment kind of says something to me.

Thanks. I think I am just going to use the peroxide and watch it. Right now it looks great. If it starts getting red etc. then I may start the antibiotics. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.