Backup can play too now

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Short sequences that is.

We're still ironing out those contacts but he's coming along. On the Aframe I yell wait too early but even with knowing 2o2o he was launching from the top when too fast so I had to start stopping him and we're starting to catch on I think. His dogwalk and teeter it's obvious he's still not totally convinced where I want his front feet but slowing him is like super awesome right now. And of course I dropped food and pulled him off the dogwalk.

Some progress with the goober
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gAsGrOo7744" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starting to actually trust the weaves again. For those who don't know my special kid developed an irrational fear of PVC poles a while ago. We have no idea why or where it came from but although he'll plow through them in a jump stantion (that was a battle on it's own) he loathes them touching his feet or face or sides, basically anywhere but his chest which as you can imagine made weaving a special challenge.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bftC7-NPyo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
And... one of Sloan for kicks. :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YrkYua_CpjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Panzerotti

He's coming along great! I loved his wait at the top of the frame....very literal, lol.

Didn't you have a bar knocking problem with him before? Did you do anything specific to work on it?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
He's coming along great! I loved his wait at the top of the frame....very literal, lol.

Didn't you have a bar knocking problem with him before? Did you do anything specific to work on it?
A big one! We spent two sessions with 20in panel jumps and he hit so many times the floor was covered in splinters and I was worried about his body. We started lowering them even more (12/16in) thinking that he wasn't ready to really jump but Shai rec'd I put them extra high actually 24/26in and go figure he started to take them seriously and no more than the regular bar knocking.

He's... a character. LOL

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I haven't been able to truly measure him yet because of his touch issues. I'm not sure how we'll overcome that tbh. He avoids so much that the last time I tried he shrunk to 16 in. He's slightly shorter than Sloan and she's about 23 in but he's definitely not 16 in. Lol

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I haven't been able to truly measure him yet because of his touch issues. I'm not sure how we'll overcome that tbh. He avoids so much that the last time I tried he shrunk to 16 in. He's slightly shorter than Sloan and she's about 23 in but he's definitely not 16 in. Lol
I don't know what his issue is, per say, but Psyche was really weird about people touching her to measure her, so I worked on shaping her to go under the wicket they measure with at agility herself. So I just held it up on a table top (actually, had someone else hold it) and then shaped her through the steps of going under it herself. That way the judge/helper doesn't have to touch her, and she's comfortable under the wicket, so there's no question about her cowering.

Can't watch the videos cause I'm at school, but will as soon as I get a chance. I'm sure he's awesome.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
He's looking great!!! Good job working on his weave-touching and bar-knocking issues! And I always enjoy watching Sloan :)

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Love the videos, and I'm jealous you have dogs that seem to WANT to work... Liz does agility to humor me, but hers is just a slow-paced waggy-waggy "I get a treat now? Here I'll do this tunnel, too - now treat?" lol

Teal

...ice road...
<3 <3 <3 So much awesome! I love how forward-moving they both are! That's wonderful that Backup is making progress on the weaves again!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Woot!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jCeKE9lFfYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's still popping on the 4th occasionally with excitement but look at the impossible. He's running 6 straight almost like a pro. LOL He's very, very good if we rerun repeatedly in one spot but every slight movement poses a challenge. The good thing is the challenge is proving less and less each time, he's really starting to grasp what his job is and I think he's actually having some fun, go figure!

I found a toy over stimulates (which I've said before) and normal treats don't drive him enough but left over pork fat smooshed into my treat bag with kibbles and other normal treats works well. Of course my hands stink, he's got slightly loose stool, and my treatbag is too greasy to sit on my hip anymore, but whatever works right?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I don't know what his issue is, per say, but Psyche was really weird about people touching her to measure her, so I worked on shaping her to go under the wicket they measure with at agility herself. So I just held it up on a table top (actually, had someone else hold it) and then shaped her through the steps of going under it herself. That way the judge/helper doesn't have to touch her, and she's comfortable under the wicket, so there's no question about her cowering.
Thank you for this tip, I'll have to try and see what I can do about shaping it. I'm going to try and have him measured by one of the other trainers today and see how he tolerates it, maybe he's changed his mind? If that doesn't work then we'll work on a stand stay and shaping it until the wicket.

I am entering him in a trial, just a run or two, with Sloan at the end of this month. I think even if we don't complete anything he needs to get out there in a crowd, around other dogs, other people, and in a new environment. Fingers crossed.

Members online