Pooping problem

SZCarson

Hello!

So, I am probably over reacting but...

I was watching my dog [1.5 year old, female rottweiler, not spayed] in my backyard today and she took a poop, as she normally does, just fine.

But then, she goes to try to take another poop (which is common, she can't poop in one place, it has to be at least two different places) and despite obvious efforts, she could not and ended up yelping. And then she tried again and yelped yet again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-SZCarson

ACooper

It could be just simple constipation. It happens in dogs as well as people sometimes.

Is/was she acting normal otherwise? Eating fine? Feeling fine? Not lethargic or mopey?

Excessive licking can cause constipation if they lick themselves enough to get a good hairball going, LOL. Eating a large amount of bones without drinking enough can also cause this. Lack of exercise, diet, not drinking enough and other things can cause this too. (think of what causes constipation in people and dogs are pretty much the same)

If she is fine in every other way, I wouldn't rush to the vet at first sign of constipation..........there are a few things you can do at home first. You can give her a dose or two of psyllium (metemucil is one brand type) a teaspoon or so twice a day is a good starting place. You could try a couple teaspoons of bran meal in her food instead........whatever is easiest for you to find.

Make sure she has PLENTY of water, especially if you are going to try the Metemucil or bran meal, either one of those will absorb water and create more moisture in the colon......thus helping to alleviate constipation.

If after a couple days, you still notice her having trouble pooping, or if she develops other symptoms like lack of appetite, acting mopey or unlike herself you should definitely take her to the vet..........he can check her out for blockages, and can prescribe her a stronger stool softener if she needs one :)

MyDogSkip

It could be just simple constipation. It happens in dogs as well as people sometimes.

Is/was she acting normal otherwise? Eating fine? Feeling fine? Not lethargic or mopey?

Excessive licking can cause constipation if they lick themselves enough to get a good hairball going, LOL. Eating a large amount of bones without drinking enough can also cause this. Lack of exercise, diet, not drinking enough and other things can cause this too. (think of what causes constipation in people and dogs are pretty much the same)

If she is fine in every other way, I wouldn't rush to the vet at first sign of constipation..........there are a few things you can do at home first. You can give her a dose or two of psyllium (metemucil is one brand type) a teaspoon or so twice a day is a good starting place. You could try a couple teaspoons of bran meal in her food instead........whatever is easiest for you to find.

Make sure she has PLENTY of water, especially if you are going to try the Metemucil or bran meal, either one of those will absorb water and create more moisture in the colon......thus helping to alleviate constipation.

If after a couple days, you still notice her having trouble pooping, or if she develops other symptoms like lack of appetite, acting mopey or unlike herself you should definitely take her to the vet..........he can check her out for blockages, and can prescribe her a stronger stool softener if she needs one :)
That is good advice. It does just sound like constipation. Plenty of water should take care of it in a couple of days.

Does mineral oil work for dogs? Just wondering.

Members online

No members online now.