I need some kind of help!

Debi

Iky, you've been in my thoughts..........how is our buddy these days???? Are things any better??

iky

Buddy seems to be OK this morning, he is just crying a lot,which is very hard on the ears, but we try and sooth him and talk to him just to calm him down. But he is ok today, I just hope there is not another siezure building up.

Poor baby. Has he got a favorite toy or something that he likes to chew on? Sometimes that will soothe them. Possibly give him a Kong stuffed with peanut butter to distract him and calm him down to make him feel more settled. It might even help to use the old trick of putting an old soft shirt that you've been wearing in his bed so the smell will reassure him.

Another thing to keep in mind is the quicker things return to normal, the better Buddy will feel. He's going to pick up on your emotional turmoil and that in itself is frightening for a dog or puppy. If you can make him feel that every day is just another normal (?) day, the trauma will subside quickly. And don't forget that Codi will be picking up on all the emotions and fears as well.

And don't forget that the little darlings are perfectly capable of figuring out how much attention they can get by sounding miserable. Once he figures out that you'll come to him whenever he cries he'll make the best of it. (lol)

How is Codi doing in the midst of all the turmoil?

iky

Hey everyone! I am happy to report that Buddy is doing great, he has not has any siezure in more than 4 days, and his mediaction is doing him wonders. He s almost back to his old self, I was taking photos of him the other day, he hates photos, but he seems to be doing great. His brother still pushes him around but he is getting a little more clever and seems to give his brother a run for his money.

I am happy to say that he is not depressed anymore and is doing rather well!

more help for Buddy

Iky, i've just been reading along this thread and all of Buddy's history. You've certainly been through a lot. Good to hear that he's been siezure free the last few days. I hope his progress continues.
I would like to tell you about a product called Nzymes. It comes in a treat form, and provides the body with live food enzymes that are completely missing from all processed food. These enzymes are anti-oxidant in nature, and are vital to the healing/repair process. With every siezure comes collateral damage to the system. Nzymes will help to undo that damage as well as supporting all the other vital functions of the body. There are 3 or 4 epilepsy dogs on their testimonials pages; some ceased having seizures altogether, others had less frequent, less severe episodes. In any case, it's worth giving a look at. Hope this may be of help.

(Moderator Note: Please place the link to your site in your signature)

You know, Iky, I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of this sooner! Why don't you look into learning some pet massage techniques? The calming and healing capabilities could go a long way to helping Buddy's poor little abused muscles relax and heal and contribute to his emotional well-being, and it certainly can't do any harm. It wouldn't hurt Codi either, since it's probably upsetting to him when there's something wrong with his brother. And it will help you, too, knowing that you're able to do something proactive to help your Buddy.

I've fretted so much about the little guy that I almost feel like he's one of my babies, too! His photos are so beautiful; those huge, soft eyes and his "spectacles" markings are irresistable. And Codi looks like he's just full of himself. He's handsome and he knows it! Does he make it his mission in life to keep you busy and amused?

iky

Buddy had 7 siezures yesterday, and 3 so far this morning. He is finally sleeping, which is good. 2 weeks ago, the vet made an appointment to have blood tests yesterday afternoon, we got there and we were told that he is unavailable, and that blood tests can only be done in the morning. I find this vet a total waste and refuse to take Codi there, but he has Buddy's history, so it is important that we are with someone who knows his history. We are looking for a new vet for Buddy, someone who will be more caring and someone who wont just cancle appointments, its not like we were there to just waste his time. This has happened before, when Buddy first had his siezures, and we were told "he is in the bath and dont know how long he will be". I find this highly unacceptable, as this vet is a family friend, and thats why we always used him with out cats. Buddy is now on his way back to this vet, hopefully for the last time, because as of Monday, we are finding him a new vet.

When is the pups "teen years"? Codi does make his life mission to keep me busy and amused, its very cold here by us now, and we had some rain, Codi made it is life mission to get as dirty as possible, and then make a run through the house, carpets, furniture, curtains, clothes, you name it and it has Codi's muddy paw prints on.

He is very caring about his brother though, this morning after Buddy's last siezure, he came over to his brother and licked Buddy's mouth where there was a little bit of foam. He then sat with me while I gently stroked Buddy until he slept.

You're so right about that kind of callous disregard being unacceptable. Not only would I consider that conduct unprofessional, that's not how friends treat friends.

I hope you can find a veterinary practice that has access to good lab technology. I know you're not going to give up on Buddy. I'll see what I can find as far as books/video regarding some alternative treatments like accupressure, massage and healing touch that can be used as complementary therapy. I've heard of some amazing results with this kind of thing.

It sounds like Codi's a teenager, all right! Kharma's at that stage too; she just turned 6 months old the 19th. She's even got a rebellious streak going. When we call her sometimes she'll act like she doesn't hear until I ask her if I have to cut a switch or I just slam the door, shutting her outside. Buffy went through this stage and so did Shiva. We all survived, but oh, the frustration!

iky

Buddy went for blood tests yesterday, he has a very low blood count, we have been told to up his medication, after waking up yesterday from his sedation, the poor pup could hardly walk. The vet apologised so much about missing the appointment, he even did the blood tests within 2 hours of us being there, phone us with results. His wife runs the reception area, and she is not the worlds most nicest person, and she was informed that she is to never deny us an appointment again.

Buddy had 7 siezures last night, one right after the other, it was heartbreaking, but he seems to be ok now, we have spoken to the vet about the option of putting him down as we are scared that he is suffereing, and the vet is adiment that Buddy will come right with the right dose of medication. And thats the one reason why we liked him so much, he would be straight with us, and not let the dog suffer. His other option is to put Buddy in the hospital, until they can figure the right dosage for his medication, but sadly Buddy is my brothers pup, and as much as I love him and only want what is best, it is not my decission. He has been sleeping all morning and seems to be a lot calmer. I know when my cat got so sick, this vet put him in hospital for almost 2 months, but he came right. He lives right by his surgery so he is there personally to take care of the animals. But we will see how it goes.

The reason for his sudden siezures, is tha fact that is is growing, and that the dosage of the medication was to little, so he has to go back every 2 weeks for blood tests to get the dosage right. The vet said once the dosage is right, he is will his normal puppy self.

That's all better news, Iky. I was so worried when I saw the time of your post; I knew you must've been up all night either with Buddy or worrying about him.

I'm so glad the vet has straightened out the problem of seeing him when it's needed.

It makes sense that Buddy's growth is what is keeping the medication from being as effective as it should. And as far as his being in the hospital, I've always felt that our animals heal better at home when it's at all possible. They're so much happier in familiar surroundings with their own families.

I've been associated with people with epilepsy, and the seizures can be exhausting, but they've been able to tell me that they are completely unaware of anything during a seizure - even a petit mal. I hope that's some reassurance to you since Buddy can't tell you the same thing himself.

iky

Guys, what a week! On Saturday night Buddy had about 20 siezures, but he came out of it alright, he was just very tired. On Tuesday night Buddy had so many siezures, we lost count at 45 and rushed him to the vet. On Wednesday morning he has about 11 siezures before we left for work, and we were told that he started siezuring at 12:30 and only came right by about 2:30, just before I got home. I thought he had died, he was breathing, only slightly, but he wasnt moving or responding to anything at all, it was as if he was in a coma. It was heart breaking to see him like that, I took him and put him in his basket and just sat with him, giving him his drops, hoping he would somehow get it into his system and he was not swallowing. He only started to respond at about 5pm, but only little twitches.

Buddy is now sedated most of the time, until the dosage of his medication can kick in and the vet is starting to get worried about the multiple siezures he is having. He said that if he goes on like this, anything more than 10 - 15 siezures at a time, either we should have him put down or his little brain could pop. He has had no siezures since Wednesday, and our vet informed us that he went to a convention on dogs and epilepsy, so he has come back knowing a whole lot more than before. Buddy is going to the vet on Thursday / Friday again for more blood tests.

He spends most of his time sleeping, but this morning he was almost his old self, he ran through the house and jumped on the bed, and licked and played, but sadly it only lasted a few mins, he got very tired and went back to sleeping. Codi tries to get Buddy to play with him and chases him a little, I don think he really knows what is happening to his brother, but he is understanding when we stop him from playing to much with Buddy.

Poor Buddy. I sure hope he gets better soon. Maybe the vet will bring back some good news for treatment. Let's hope so.

Chazhound

scout1

has he ever been checked for a brain tumor? usually you wouldn't see them unless it is an older dog but it is possible. your vet could also give you valium in syringes which you can administer rectally when he is having these cluster seizures. the longer he remains in a seizure the higher his body temperature goes. that can fry his organs including his brain. i hope your vet can get this under control soon.

Iky, what can I say. My heart just breaks for Buddy, Codi and all of you. I'm very encouraged that your vet is so determined and even took the time and expense to attend the seminar. My hopes are high that he has learned something that will turn the corner for Buddy.

Until your vet gets things figured out, sleeping is a good thing for Buddy. Sleep puts the body and spirit into a healing cycle.

iky

Scout1, the vet has given us valuim, we have been pushing it through his system to keep him sedated. We stopped with it on Friday, last night he was running around and barking like he normally does, its like the old Buddy is back, he still bumps into things, but he is walking strong now. Our vet is very loving, he often phones us and asks us how Buddy is going. So so far so good, he has not had any siezures, but I dont want to talk to soon. We are just monitoring him and seeing how it goes, Codi even tries now and then to get Buddy to play along, which is sweet, but as Renee said, he needs his rest.

Members online

No members online now.