2013 Official Chaz Weight Loss Challenge

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Don't stretch before. C25K has a built-in warmup walk. Do that and it's all you should need. If you feel like you NEED to stretch (something feels tight) then warm up, stretch, then get back to it. But don't stretch cold muscles.

As to stretching after, it depends. There are studies out there showing even stretching afterward when you're all warmed up can cause or aid in injury. Sometimes because people stretch too deeply. From what I've found, it's about 50-50 split on "yeah stretch after!" or "no, it really doesn't matter."
Really, I know plenty of runners who don't do much stretching at all. A quad stretch, hamstring and/or calf stretch maybe, just quick little routine and then on with the rest of their day. The biggest thing is to not finish your run and then just stop and sit down or something, haha. You have to cool down with a walk too (which is also built in to C25K.)

I wouldn't worry too much about stretching after a run unless you're experiencing some tightness, and then look into stretches specifically for those areas. Quad stretches are nice and feel good! I do some hip flexor stretches because I still experience some hip flexor tightness every now and then, and it feels good - and I might do a wall stretch if my calves are feeling tight, but I don't always. Listen to your body and do what it needs, because everybody is going to need different things.

I would however look in to adding stretching as part of your regular fitness routine, via yoga or pilates. Here's some yoga stretches, I like most of these:
http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine

This is the DVD I like to do, I try to do it every evening after a run, but sometimes I don't have time for the full DVD and just do some of my fave poses:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Fl...TF8&qid=1375801754&sr=1-9&keywords=Rodney+Yee

I've also heard good things about this one, but I don't own it:
http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-...F8&qid=1375801784&sr=1-15&keywords=Rodney+Yee

Taqroy

Um...I guess I belong in here? My goal is to work out at least three times a week for 10 minutes or more (10 is my magic number - I can almost always convince myself to work out for just ten minutes). And so far it's been awesome and I'm actually 3 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, which motivates me to do more.

The main reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has recommendations for cardio workouts I can do at home. I work out early in the mornings and I have no equipment. Help?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Don't stretch before. C25K has a built-in warmup walk. Do that and it's all you should need. If you feel like you NEED to stretch (something feels tight) then warm up, stretch, then get back to it. But don't stretch cold muscles.

As to stretching after, it depends. There are studies out there showing even stretching afterward when you're all warmed up can cause or aid in injury. Sometimes because people stretch too deeply. From what I've found, it's about 50-50 split on "yeah stretch after!" or "no, it really doesn't matter."
Really, I know plenty of runners who don't do much stretching at all. A quad stretch, hamstring and/or calf stretch maybe, just quick little routine and then on with the rest of their day. The biggest thing is to not finish your run and then just stop and sit down or something, haha. You have to cool down with a walk too (which is also built in to C25K.)

I wouldn't worry too much about stretching after a run unless you're experiencing some tightness, and then look into stretches specifically for those areas. Quad stretches are nice and feel good! I do some hip flexor stretches because I still experience some hip flexor tightness every now and then, and it feels good - and I might do a wall stretch if my calves are feeling tight, but I don't always. Listen to your body and do what it needs, because everybody is going to need different things.

I would however look in to adding stretching as part of your regular fitness routine, via yoga or pilates. Here's some yoga stretches, I like most of these:
http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine

This is the DVD I like to do, I try to do it every evening after a run, but sometimes I don't have time for the full DVD and just do some of my fave poses:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Fl...TF8&qid=1375801754&sr=1-9&keywords=Rodney+Yee

I've also heard good things about this one, but I don't own it:
http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-...F8&qid=1375801784&sr=1-15&keywords=Rodney+Yee
Excellent info, Beanie! I love doing yoga and find myself reverting to the good old "Sun Salutation" when I just want to get an overall "cat stretch" feeling.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The main reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has recommendations for cardio workouts I can do at home. I work out early in the mornings and I have no equipment. Help?
What do you like to do? Walking with the baby? Running? I think you're good to go because the kiddo is old enough by now, but check with your doctor first to make sure you're cleared to start working out again!! Seriously, they always say to check with a doctor first and I know rarely do people actually do it, but I would really really recommend it in your case.

Most of the things I'm coming up with are more strength training, but when you do them with intensity and quickly, your heart-rate elevates, so it's both strength and cardio.

How about CrossFit at home?
http://laxcrossfit.com/home-wods/

One of my faves, I know I've linked this here before:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This one is 20 minutes, not 10, but might work with some modifications:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

Here's a ton of home workout ideas! Fair warning, the videos get a fair bit of criticism (and IMO not entirely undeserved) for being over-sexed. But the info is good.
http://www.bodyrock.tv/

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Um...I guess I belong in here? My goal is to work out at least three times a week for 10 minutes or more (10 is my magic number - I can almost always convince myself to work out for just ten minutes). And so far it's been awesome and I'm actually 3 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, which motivates me to do more.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/10_minute_trainer.do

I did this exclusively for the first 6 months of my life change this year. Lost over 70 pounds doing this and eating better. Down 90 total now and using the TMT program for the "muscle" workouts and my running for the cardio.

Taqroy

What do you like to do? Walking with the baby? Running? I think you're good to go because the kiddo is old enough by now, but check with your doctor first to make sure you're cleared to start working out again!! Seriously, they always say to check with a doctor first and I know rarely do people actually do it, but I would really really recommend it in your case.
I love hiking with the baby (it's an extra workout because I usually wear her, nothing like hiking up a hill with 15 pounds of deadweight lol) but I don't have a hiking buddy right now so I haven't been doing it much. Off topic, but that's one thing I really miss about being baby free - I'm okay stranding myself in the wilderness, I'm not okay stranding myself and Falon. :( I...sort of loathe running if it's not on an elliptical. I did specifically ask the doctor at my six week check up if it was okay to do more intensive stuff and she cleared me! I've been keeping tabs on everything and I started out really slow because I was SO out of shape.

Thank you so much for the links! I've been doing pilates and a balance pod workout but I need to switch it up before I get bored. That nerdfitness site looks AWESOME.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/10_minute_trainer.do

I did this exclusively for the first 6 months of my life change this year. Lost over 70 pounds doing this and eating better. Down 90 total now and using the TMT program for the "muscle" workouts and my running for the cardio.
That looks really interesting! I need to make sure I can stick with a workout routine before I invest that much money though. Maybe this will be my 12 week reward. :p I'm almost to six weeks now.

SoCrafty

I have to say, I really liked the Zumba DVDs. I liked them so much, that I am doing Zumba classes at the gym twice a week.

Jillian Michaels has a Yoga shred (will double check the name later) that got my heart pumping. It's not cardio, but it got my heart going. The Tae Bo videos were good too. The only thing I had a hard time with was that the instructors face the camera. I tend to get mixed up with my moves that way LOL.

Last edited:

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Oh my Lord. Started working out with a friend of a friend who is a personal trainer today. It kicked my butt. HARD. Like...sweat was dripping off of my face, and I don't ever sweat from my face, I'm an armpit sweat-er LOL! It was crazy. But I'm excited. It feels good. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I haven't lost any weight at all. :(. I've been busting my ass with my personal trainer, gave up cokes, strayed cooking my own meals and... Nothing. It's really disappointing and frustrating. I know I need to get back on medicine for my Pcos but I was hoping for SOME improvement on my own.

Feeling really down about it all. Why do I bust my ass for no results.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
NO results? Do you feel any different or do you clothes fit any differently? Sometimes, weight really just is a number. Your body takes time to make changes. Don't get fed up because you don't get the result you were expecting. You can and will accomplish anything you set out to do!

Believe in yourself and what you are trying to accomplish. The rest is window dressing.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I haven't lost any weight at all. :(. I've been busting my ass with my personal trainer, gave up cokes, strayed cooking my own meals and... Nothing. It's really disappointing and frustrating. I know I need to get back on medicine for my Pcos but I was hoping for SOME improvement on my own.

((((HUGS))))
Are you measuring yourself? But I know how you feel... I have been on a weight loss plateau all year long. I bust my butt and the scale doesn't budge. I started measuring and that helps a bit.... But it takes a long time to see results there (for me at least). And then there's my mind that thinks that I look exactly the same than I did 60 lbs ago. It's such a mindf****.

Pcos sucks. It just seems that it puts a barrier in your body. "Here stupid, you can't loose more weight than up to here."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No weight loss. I keep fluctuatin the same 10 lbs over and over. The only change I've noticed is that the workouts aren't *quite* as killer. But that's it. :(

I'm going to call my doctor this week I think.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
No weight loss. I keep fluctuatin the same 10 lbs over and over. The only change I've noticed is that the workouts aren't *quite* as killer. But that's it. :(

I'm going to call my doctor this week I think.
A call to the doctor certainly wouldn't hurt. But you note that the workouts aren't "quite as killer". If the workouts are getting easier by any measure (even the slightest) then there are your results - cardiovascular efficiency, muscle tone, etc. You may have built some muscle and purged some fat.

Call your doctor, make sure what you're doing is correct for you, but above all, please DON'T give up!

I spent the last 20+ years on the weight yoyo and many times simply gave up because I didn't get the results I wanted when I wanted them and got fed up. Now in my 40s I'm running again and feel great. The regrets I have from being unable to do some things I could have been doing for 20 years are all I have to show for that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

You definitely need to check in with a doctor because PCOS really complicates the whole thing.
That is not to say you can't do anything and that it's impossible without a doctor. We can take a look and troubleshoot in the meantime.

Can you post a typical day's meal - what you eat, calorie content, carb content, fat and protein levels?
Are you tracking your food? And religiously tracking it - sometimes people have bad habits and underestimate portion sizes and weights. Personally I know I overestimate, which isn't any better. Religiously tracking is my goal right now, because I have an amount I naturally tend to eat and it's not enough, and if I don't track my food and see the numbers in front of me (like hey, stupid, you only ate 1300 calories. You better shovel about 500 more calories into your face.) I don't eat more. If you are what did last week look like?
I know we talked before about your TDEE - where are you at with these numbers compared to how much you're actually eating? Use this calculator if you want to calculate it out again:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Jules is right about taking measurements as well, but I would expect if you were having success with that you wouldn't feel like you were busting your ass for nothing.

Let's start with these questions and see if anything immediate starts popping out...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am not tracking my food right now. I should, I know, but haven't found recipes that have nutritional data attached. I have been cooking foods from either gluten free or paleo recipes for meals and trying to eat the amount they say is one serving. So my roast was four servings and I ate it over four meals. I know for sure I am eating less than I was because Monday I tried eating a meal I used to and did not come close to finishing it.

Yesterday's food: no breakfast which is bad. :/
Lunch: BBQ turkey, peas, carrots
Dinner: roast with redskin potatoes and carrots.

I had one glass of lemonade too. So looking at that I need more green veggies and less starchy ones? I need breakfast too.

It's jut frustrating because before I was eating burgers and fries and pizza and whatnot and nothing has changed. My clothes still fit the same. I haven't checked measurements yet but my trainer is going to run a full scan in a month wih fat and muscle percentages.

He recommended a dietician but I tried that for a year and had no results. My TDEE according to hat site says 1900 Cals and when I did the test at the dietician last year I believe it put me around 2000 or so.

Other symptoms and side effects of Pcos have gotten worse over the last year to two as well. I always assume that is tied to the weight gain but I'm not sure whih caused which. This may be tmi but I am actually having occasional periods while not on hormones/birth control right now maybe every three months. That is better than usual.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think you might be eating way too little. That really looks like not much food, especially without breakfast. It seems stupid that not eating enough can be a "thing" when everybody talks like just eating less is the magic bullet, so obviously eating WAY less should help - but it's bad for a variety of reasons. Especially when you add intense workouts into the mix, because you're not feeding your body in a way that will help you be successful.
That's my problem right now too and why it's my goal for this challenge to track my food and make sure I'm eating what I'm supposed to be eating. Especially when you switch to eating in a more paleo-type style, it happens a LOT. On the Nerd Fitness forums, at least once a week somebody posts about how they're not eating very much. Protein makes you feel not very hungry and paleo puts protein at the center of your meals.

I would say pick up a cheap food scale and start measuring/weighing everything when you cook, and track it in something like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople. See where your numbers are falling. Eating good food is one thing, but another part of the primal/paleo diet is balancing macros (fat, protein, carbs), especially if you're doing it for weight loss or to fuel workout requirements. I'd just start by tracking and making sure you're eating enough, then after that start adjusting macros.

Breakfasts can be fast and easy, I make microwave scrambled eggs if I'm in a hurry and failed to prep anything else. Eggs are a good source of protein and cheap so good to have. Also goes good with any other protein source. Sausage and egg, bacon and egg, steak and egg, chicken and egg, it's all good. You can make a batch of "egg muffins" and keep them in the freezer, then just pop a couple in the microwave in the morning to reheat.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Again I couldn't finish my lunch. I went to the cafeteria which is not great but is better than fast food. I had pork loin and peas and corn (no non grain options looked decent).

My problem with food tracking is tying to find all the necessary nutritional information on recipes I cook.

I had a sprite for breakfast because I was feeling nauseas and that helps some. I know... Bad.

Dinner will be the rest of the disgusting gluten free pasta I have left (not doing that again) with roasted tomatoes.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If you use something like Sparkpeople, it finds the nutritional information for you. You just tell it stuff like "4 ounces of Pepperjack Cheese" and it does everything for you. The only thing you have to worry about is the weights or how many cups, stuff like that.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Yeah, I use sparkpeople all the time. Just measure what you are having and often the stuff is in the database. You can even build your own recipe by knowing what quantities and all go into the recipe.

As far as cheap scales go, you can spend a ton or not very much. I have one I got at walmart that has served me well, but it only weighs in 2 gram increments. I just picked up one for 15 bucks at bed bath and beyond that weighs in 1 gram increments. It's "biggest loser" branded and fairly compact.

The best advice I can give about cooking and measuring is to be deliberate. Don't guestimate the quantities. Know what you are having and in what amounts. It's eye opening once you really discipline yourself to do that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I haven't really eaten anything today... I ate two raspberries and felt like throwing up. I ate a single strawberry then put the rest away. I ate the rest of some paleo cookies I made a few nights ago... amounts to about three tablespoons of peanut butter.

But I guess it's okay because yesterday after leaving the hospital I went to Sonic and got a peanut butter banana milkshake and drank half it.

It will probably even out.

Members online

No members online now.