"Stop the Shots!" ???

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
Earlier this year, Foley Square Books published a book by John Clifton called "Stop the Shots!: Are Vaccinations Killing Our Pets?" (ISBN: 0976084627)

The Amazon reviews are generally positive, but I'm always a little wary about books like this.

Has anyone here read it? Is it reputable, or just more sensationalism to make a buck?

LuvsDogs

No, I haven't heard of or read the book. But there is a lot of cotroversy surrounding over vaccination. A holistic/naturapathic vet in Sydney 1st told our dog club of the unnecessary over use of vaccinations. She suggested that they were only needed ever 4 - possibly 7 yrs. There needs to be more research on the matter. I stopped vaccinating my 14 y/o border collie 5 yrs ago when I 1st heard of this & 2 friends lost their old dogs following vaccination. My vet told me that except for kennel cough which needs doing every 6 mths the other every 4 yrs. We don't have rabies in Aust.
There are titres for testing whether a dog has immunity.

If it's knowledgably written (IE - by a animal health professional) then I say "Bout **** time".

We ARE overvaccinating our pets.

I do the core vaccines as per Dr. Dodd's vaccine schedule for pups, and titer annually after that.

No unneccesary vaccines for my pets, no sirreee. Why should I pay a vet to poison my dog?

I'm going to look into this book. It sounds promising....I hope it will be.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
If it's knowledgably written (IE - by a animal health professional) then I say "Bout **** time".

We ARE overvaccinating our pets.

I do the core vaccines as per Dr. Dodd's vaccine schedule for pups, and titer annually after that.

No unneccesary vaccines for my pets, no sirreee. Why should I pay a vet to poison my dog?

I'm going to look into this book. It sounds promising....I hope it will be.
Me too and when I do have to get them I only use the fresh ones. Not ones with preservatives. I pay in advance and have them ordered. Whiskey is deathly allergic to them and each time I gave them in the past he darn near died. He has to be hooked to an IV drip with benadryl first so why do it ? I have also opted out on giving the shots for corona,bordetella, Gihardia and lyme as these are treatable with antibiotics. This is a decision I and his vet made together for his health

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
One thing that concerns me is what problems one might encounter with an unvaccinated dog. For example, all the groomers we've used require a particular set of vaccinations. I've not taken Manni to a kennel, but I assume kennels have similar rules.

Also, what about taking an unvaccinated dog across state lines? We also take Manni to Canada with us rather frequently. I wonder how border patrol would react if they found out we were transporting an unvaccinated dog across the border.

We're not talking UNvaccinated dogs...or at least I'm not. I'm talking about overvaccinating.

Groomers and kennels require what the vets told them they should require once upon a time. Times have changed. Not all vets have. Hence why Dr. Joe Schmoe DVM still pushes yearly vaccines even though research and evidence has proven this is not only unneccesary, but harmful.

As far as border requirements, I have no idea there. But I would assume titering your dog and providing the paperwork along with a letter of explanation from your vet would suffice...though I can't say for certain.

Hannah has not had a parvo vaccine since she was 5 months old. Her latest titer showed she is still perfectly immune, yet a vet might have given her another at one year of age, and then again at two years of age. Why? It wouldn't have helped her immunity any, but it could've possibly caused detrimental side effects. That's my point. Don't fix what ain't broke, ya know?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
There are a number of threads on this here at Chaz and a LOT of information on this on the internet.

I do not overvaccinate my pets. That includes cats, who it is finally admitted, can acquire Vaccine Associated Sarcoma from shot sites.

You can titer your pets if you want, or you can realize that you are overkilling some of these shots in your pets who are already immunized.

My schedule for Tosca was
All shots as puppy
Boosters at year one with THREE year rabies shot.

She will have a checkup next year and every year, but she will not get another shot until three years from now.

I have grown to believe that kennel cough shots are easily useless as well, since i know a number of people whose dogs got it while protected. Presumably, it 'lessens' the effects. Would love to see some actuals on that though or hear from some of the people on this board who are more savvy than I am (plenty of you!).

Question: How many measles shots did you get as a kid? Are you still getting them?

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
We're not talking UNvaccinated dogs...or at least I'm not. I'm talking about overvaccinating.

Groomers and kennels require what the vets told them they should require once upon a time. Times have changed. Not all vets have. Hence why Dr. Joe Schmoe DVM still pushes yearly vaccines even though research and evidence has proven this is not only unneccesary, but harmful.

As far as border requirements, I have no idea there. But I would assume titering your dog and providing the paperwork along with a letter of explanation from your vet would suffice...though I can't say for certain.

Hannah has not had a parvo vaccine since she was 5 months old. Her latest titer showed she is still perfectly immune, yet a vet might have given her another at one year of age, and then again at two years of age. Why? It wouldn't have helped her immunity any, but it could've possibly caused detrimental side effects. That's my point. Don't fix what ain't broke, ya know?

What references did you find most useful when you were researching this topic?

BostonBanker

I believe the only vaccine required to cross the border into Canada is rabies, which I do keep current to comply with my state's laws.

I titer for the recommended vaccines, and that is accepted at both dog schools I use, and by the person I board with (home boarding, not kennels). I do not vaccinate for the same things Aussie listed - Lyme, bordetella, etc. They are quite treatable with antibiotics. Animals have an immune system for a reason! I worry about the long term affects (in humans as well) of vaccinating for every conceivable disease. We need to let our bodies do the job they are designed for.

TM, the Bordetella (IMO) is practically useless. I don't give it any more. The only dogs I've ever had that have developed kennel cough were the dogs I had vaccinated against it. Go figure.

What references did you find most useful when you were researching this topic?
Vet experience, my own vets, Dr. Jean Dodds (Google her, or heck call her, I can give you her phone number), books, vet journals, and personal experience.

I have many links as well that I've posted before if you want to spend several hours reading up on the topic.

I also have an online great dane community. Most of my members feel the way I feel about vaccines because the dane, as a breed, is very succeptible to adverse vaccine reactions....We have shared titer results and conversations with our vets... Titer results are proof in the pudding.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Irotas my own vet confirmed that not all these yearly shots are necessary. He happily recommended a three year schedule. I respect and admire him for that. Perhaps if a particular illness becomes rampant in my area next year, we might adjust. But we will titer. We had a nice discussion about this. So ask your vet. I can't imagine a reputable vet not being willing to have this discussion. If you never ask, I am sure there are vets out there who would be more than happy to continue giving yearly shots. After all, they have a business to support too.

Here is a google on the subject and I tell you that you can spend days reading about it. This book is not new news. But if enough people read it, maybe they will understand what overvaccinating does and doesn't do.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=vaccinations+dogs&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=vaccines+dogs&btnG=Google+Search

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
TM, the Bordetella (IMO) is practically useless. I don't give it any more. The only dogs I've ever had that have developed kennel cough were the dogs I had vaccinated against it. Go figure.
That is so interesting, because my friend's dog got it this year and was vaccinated against it. At my trainer's facility during one set of Tosca's classes, a dog didn't show up and the trainer was a bit upset because it turned out that the dog had it. This dog was also vaccinated as we all were. It was a requirement before class, with proof.

If I may ask, why do you in particular trust Dr. Dodd's recommendation? I'm not saying there's any problem with that, just that I've never heard of her.

Thanks!
She pioneered for years to have the vaccination protocol for dogs changed....She led the way to finally convince all 27 vet schools in the US to change their vaccine schedules.

Here is a little Bio on Dr Dodds. She's no run of the mill person, that's for sure.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-RESUME.HTM

Seriously, if this is a topic that interests you, CALL HER. She is a very kind person who is geniunely concerned with the health of our animals. She will talk with you as if you had known her for years. You will come away from it thinking "WHOA, why didn't I realize this years ago?"

goldiefur

What shots SHOULD a dog have? Mine went in for puppy shots and also for shots before he got fixed. The vet has never recommended any more shots to me so I figured he is okay. He is NEVER boarded and does not go around strange dogs except when he goes to the vet every three months for his thyroid test.

I have never read any pros and cons on vaccinations but I always have this feeling that I just don't want to give him ANYTHING that he does not absolutely need. He is four now. Is there anything that any you feel he should get? He has not had rabies since he was about one BUT he is NEVER outside alone.

I know something freaky could happen like a rabid squirrel:yikes: could come in the yard and attack him with me there (I started thinking about this after I saw the scary rabid skunk video:lol-sign: ) but I'm still not sure he should go get a rabies shot.

We do have squirrels that come eat food out of our bird feeder.:yikes: What are your thoughts on this? Is he okay not getting anymore shots?

elegy

overdogged
rabies is mandated by law either every year or every three depending on where you live (assuming you're in the US). if he were ever to bite somebody, if he is not up to date on his rabies vaccine, you could end up in a lot of trouble, and it's possible that he would be required to be euthanized to be tested for rabies.

Members online