The Venting Thread

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I have to go through at least two more days of worrying, feeling sick, and not being able to keep food down.

I work full days the next two days, Sunday is our huge event day, and Sunday night, crap hits the fan and I have no idea how I will be after that.

$deity, give me strength.

FG167

Don't feel guilty! You do SO MUCH with your dogs and it's not like you don't have plans to do IPO - sometimes things just don't work out in the time frame you want. And really if you end up resenting the amount of time it's taking to do something you could end up resenting the activity too - and that would suck.
I feel SO GUILTY like Kastle's going to be disappointed he isn't able to do what he was bred, born, and purchased to do. I KNOW that's dumb and I can't stop feeling SO CONFLICTED. I seriously and losing sleep and stressing out and all sad. I miss my training friends (which I think is adding to my sad)...my best friend that got me into IPO that I used to carpool with is also considering quitting IPO for the same reasons. Super sad. :(:(

The other thing is, if I quit IPO we can get some more agility equipment and train more often at home...and Jason would enjoy doing that with me too. :(

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah I am not really a fan of Friday right now. Having a bad day. I don't drink but I feel like I need something right about now. 5 more hours....

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
There's nothing like taking a crap and then realizing you are completely out of toilet paper. Sorry for the tmi, but that is my vent for the day.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
FG, what about training/trialling for the BH, then taking a break? That way he's ready to go further whenever you are, he'll have something accomplished, which will make you feel a bit better, and you can take a break with a bit less pressure. IPO-VO is also an option if you want a "real" title instead of "just" the BH.

Also, there's tons you can do at home for IPO, so you might even be able to go to your club once or twice a month for a while, saving gas and drive time, but still progressing in protection, albeit slower. I'm kinda stuck doing that with my two in IPO because the last 6 weeks has been crazy schedule and illness wise.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Looks like the snow is going to completely miss us and we will just get stuck with more rain. I HATE RAIN. I DON"T WANT RAIN. I WANT SNOW

lol

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
There's nothing like taking a crap and then realizing you are completely out of toilet paper. Sorry for the tmi, but that is my vent for the day.
That has Happened to me a few times, the apartments have common bathrooms like collage dorms, & a few times I have had an eh ... Emergency & didn't lol before I ... Started & after I was done, I turned around & reached for the TP (the holder is like one of those big double ones that a lot of restaurants & supermarkets use) ... & was like ... ****!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
WARNING: foot picture ahead lol

I let the dogs out at 4 am (Belle can't hold it through the night anymore) and Beezer decided to use my foot as his starting block and then took off like a bat out of hell

My poor beat up foot

FG167

FG, what about training/trialling for the BH, then taking a break? That way he's ready to go further whenever you are, he'll have something accomplished, which will make you feel a bit better, and you can take a break with a bit less pressure. IPO-VO is also an option if you want a "real" title instead of "just" the BH.

Also, there's tons you can do at home for IPO, so you might even be able to go to your club once or twice a month for a while, saving gas and drive time, but still progressing in protection, albeit slower. I'm kinda stuck doing that with my two in IPO because the last 6 weeks has been crazy schedule and illness wise.
I think this is my tentative plan - thanks for "chatting" with me through this. I am seriously struggling, even though I know it's dumb! I figure this way he'll have at least some more "real" trial/ring experience before we get to the IPO I.

That's the other thing - Jason is a helper, a really good helper, for young dogs just learning the routine. He has said he is willing to teach it to Kastle but I can tell he doesn't really want to so I don't want to make him :( Bummer engaged to someone that's got skills that doesn't want to use them.

Plus, I need to keep reminding myself, he's not even 2 yet and he already has a slew of titles. I need to settle down. But...he's so fun to train/trial! LOL

*deep breath*

Thanks, I really needed this :)

Equinox

That's what I am thinking about doing. I just feel so guilty! My breeder gave me pick IPO prospect so I feel I should make use of it. Plus I know my training director has high hopes for us and I don't want to let him down either. And I really do enjoy it but it's so far!

If I'm honest, part is that Jason is totally pushing agility (because he more or less hates SchH now) and that makes me want to stubbornly stick with IPO. This sport brought us together and he may hate it, but I don't. I don't know how objective his viewpoint is either with that in mind. But, it shouldn't matter I am just using excuses so I don't have to choose!

A big thing with IPO with GSDs is waiting for their aggression to kick in, which Kastle's hasn't yet so I can teach him the protection basics but they won't have power for awhile yet. His tracking and obedience foundation is SOLID and I could probably go out and do most of a BH routine now...I just feel like such a slacker for not doing everything.
I think a break would be a good thing for both you and Kastle. If his drives and thresholds are closer to the extremes right now, waiting for him to mature might actually have its benefits. Assuming he is more prey/instinct than aggression/srsdog brains, any struggles the two of you have during training may repeat itself and eventually become residual problem behavior developed out of habit, even following maturity. Especially given your budding frustration and the little bit of possible resentment that could build up.

I feel SO GUILTY like Kastle's going to be disappointed he isn't able to do what he was bred, born, and purchased to do. I KNOW that's dumb and I can't stop feeling SO CONFLICTED. I seriously and losing sleep and stressing out and all sad. I miss my training friends (which I think is adding to my sad)...my best friend that got me into IPO that I used to carpool with is also considering quitting IPO for the same reasons. Super sad. :(:(

The other thing is, if I quit IPO we can get some more agility equipment and train more often at home...and Jason would enjoy doing that with me too. :(
You don't have to do everything. Like already said, you do so much with your dogs and they're clearly happy with their lives. I doubt they'll be any less happy switching sports or even taking a break.

I wouldn't feel guilty, and you shouldn't, either. Just because Kastle's good at what he does and has the instincts and drive for it, doesn't mean he has to be doing it. He loves IPO training because it provides an outlet for him, but agility would also be an outlet for his drive and energy and it's also just plain fun. He's not going to think "man, I wish I had a sleeve in my mouth right now!" because he's having fun with agility (or obedience or tracking). And he's not going to think it after training, either, because he's busy napping or snuggling or gnawing on a toy. He won't be disappointed :)

Trent's never been trained in any sport but his aggression has developed. And I promise you he's not happier when those drives kick in and he's warning someone for real. The trait is there, and he knows what to do with it... but if he never perceived a threat for a single moment in his life, he'd still be a happy dog.

Instincts and drives don't tumble inside a dog clamoring to be used, they kick in when they're triggered. I know you know this already, so stop beating yourself up about it!

And as far as Kastle's breeder goes, don't worry about that either. He sounds like a great guy and he'd understand. Plans change. You paid the money, Kastle is 100% your dog, and you are providing an excellent home for him. In my opinion, that's the very, very best thing a breeder could ask for. Who cares if it's a working home, a sport home, or a pet home? As long as it is an awesome home, the breeder should be more than happy.

Members online

No members online now.