How long until she sleeps all night??

Our other dog is 12 and I don't remember much of the puppy stage. Sadie was born 12-17-10 and we have had her for 3 weeks. She sleeps next to our bed in a crate but she still wakes up 3 times a night to go to the bathroom plus she is up for good at 5:30 a.m. I feel like I have a newborn baby again! So how long until she can sleep all night? I pull her food at 6:00 p.m. and her water at 7:00 p.m. We usually go to bed around 9:30-10 p.m. Help! How long will this last???

My two girls..

Maxy24

I would stop taking her out three times a night. Cut back to once for now. We got our dog at ten weeks old and he went out once a night until he was maybe 4 months old, then he'd go from 10 pm to 6 am without going out at all. He never asked to go out at night, we set an alarm for a specific time and took him out then (we'd wake him up to do this usually). I didn't want him learning to whine in order to wake us, so that's why we woke up first via the alarm.
Make sure she goes potty right before bed, then take her out once in the middle of the night. After you take her out that once, put her back in her crate. I suggest giving her a stuffed kong (maybe with frozen plain yogurt) so that she'll settle back down even if she's not all that tired. Tucker also slept with bully stick every night so if he woke up he'd have something to do. Only do this if you know

I mean if you really think she HAS to go potty and is going to struggle to make it with just one potty break, then you can continue with three until she's older, but it sounds more like she's waking up bored and knows if she whines she'll get out, see mommy, and stretch her legs.

C

clintcora

For an eight hour overnight, they should be 7 months old before being able to hold things in that long. Otherwise, yes, you will have to get up in the middle of the night. Also suggested is to withhold water after a certain time during the evening.

Another option is to put the crate in a puppy room where there are newspapers and/or a litterbox. That's what I did with my two lhasa apsos. They slept in their puppy room all night withour incident until they were old enough to be crated all night in my bedroom.

MolliePR

I've only had Mollie for going on 3 nights now but the first night she did not wake up to go out and last night she was up only once. I am guilty of letting her sleep with me though, so sometimes she will shift closer to me and go right back to sleep. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I hope so, I can't imagine having her up 3 times a night!

Cat Condos

Cat Condos
I would say your probly getting her in the habbit of going three times a night by taking her. Trying cutting back to 1 time a night. I could be wrong though. Good luck! :)

GoingNowhere

For an eight hour overnight, they should be 7 months old before being able to hold things in that long. Otherwise, yes, you will have to get up in the middle of the night.
Wow, I'm not sure I buy this. I've been fostering Kobe since he was 12 weeks (if not a bit younger) and he has slept through the night every night with no accidents in his crate. He usually goes to bed at 10 and is up between 6 and 7:30. Obviously, not all puppies are going to be able to do this that young, but 7 months is pushing it. During the day, I do go by the "don't crate for more hours than the puppy is months old" (ie 4 months = 4 hr max), but I don't do that with overnights. To be completely honest, I don't wake up in the middle of the night to let my foster pups out. Their new owners can do that if they'd like, but in the meantime, I provide a space big enough that they can potty in one corner and sleep in another if necessary. I know it's not ideal, but I figure that at least the pup is alive and out of the shelter where they would've been euth'd.

If I recall correctly, all of the other foster pups have also gotten to the point where they'd sleep through the night with no potty accidents either (none was older than 18 weeks before adoption.)

With regard to your question: Does the puppy avoid pottying in the crate? If so, I'd start by only letting him out twice a night for a little while, then bumping it back to once and then after a week or so of that, bumping it back to not at all during a very short night (say bed at 12 and up at 5 or 6). Eventually he should sleep through a regular length night. I imagine that he'll cry at first, but if my suspicions are correct, some of his crying is likely due to the fact that he has woken up in his crate alone and wants the comfort of a person. You let him out and likely give him a scratch or two before he goes potty. Thus, even if he doesn't actually need to potty, he might cry just out of a bit of separation anxiety.

I can't give any professional advice because I am not a professional, but if I were in your shoes here is what I would do. I would provide the pup with a crate just big enough for him and get him accustomed to it during the day. All meals in the crate and lots and lots of little snacks throughout the day in the crate as well. Anytime he goes in on his own, lots of snacks and praise. Make it a nice place. At night, I'd put him to bed with little fuss. Since he isn't used to sleeping very long without using the bathroom, I'd refrain from giving him snacks or drinks at bedtime except for maybe a bit of peanut butter smeared all over a bone or kong toy to keep him occupied. I'd make my schedule for how many times I'm going to take him out and stick to it. When he goes out, he gets no interaction whatsoever. I'd put a breakaway collar (or harness on him) overnight and simply snap the leash on and take him out on leash with no talking, no petting, nothing. Once he's done his business, he would go right back into the crate. I'd unclip his leash and go back to bed without making a big deal. If I was really intent on rewarding all outside pottying, I'd bring a few small treats to feed as he was pottying outside, but still refrain from much excess praise and excitement. After that, I'd ignore the crying until the next trip outside.

It might even be possible to sensitize him to your alarm by setting your alarm for a little before he normally cries to go out. Then let him out and eventually he'll learn that alarm = go outside. Then you could move the alarm sound a little bit and a little bit later until he is sleeping for longer durations. Just an idea.

You know your puppy better than I do, but I definitely think that with some hard work (and possibly a little bit of heartbreak as you have to listen to him cry without being able to comfort him), you'll be able to have him sleeping through a short night in no time. If he does have an accident after he cries, you'll know that his crying really is due to having to potty and you'll be able to take even smaller baby steps towards the goal.

MolliePR

New update: Mollie is nearly 10 weeks and sleeps most nights from 9:30 to about 6, 6:30. Its a very rare thing that she gets up at 2-3am.

Members online

No members online now.