Met My First Real Live Doodle

If you purchase a pure breed from an "acceptable" breeder, then for some reason no shelter dogs die. Maybe the governor calls up or something and and says, "wait, the animal comes from champion bloodlines, spare the shelter dog."
And I've peed my pants.:lol-sign:

Why is it some people cannot fathom that a Doodle is bred from Doodles, and not from a Lab or Golden and a Poodle? Is there that much ignorance out there that a Doodle is a Doodle bred from Doodle parent and not mixed breeds?

Why is it some people cannot fathom that a Doodle is bred from Doodles, and not from a Lab or Golden and a Poodle? Is there that much ignorance out there that a Doodle is a Doodle bred from Doodle parent and not mixed breeds?
Don't you know that once its mixed it can never be anything but mixed? We'd have to start a new kennel club in about 200 years to call them "breeds!"

So a 5th gen Doodle bred to a 7th gen Doodle is still a mixed breed? How many generations does it take for it not to be a mixed breed? The 200 years you stated? How many generations of Dobes where bred before it became a breed, and how many more generations after the standard was set before it became registered?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd say it takes at least three generations to solidfy breed traits, so yes, before that, it's still a mixed dog. 90% of the doodles, at least around here, are nothing more than F1 mixes...maybe F2 and are coming with a $2500 price tag. For something that cannot be papered or shown or even guaranteed on specific traits, that's a giant ripoff.

Jest!

I was implying that they would only call it a breed if it existed before the kennel club existed.

Honestly, how long would it take to get them to breed true? I guess that depends on what the standards of breeding true are, especially considering the coat variability of the doodles. The silken windhound has shown it can be done pretty quickly, under 20 years I believe. (it would help if they made up a new name rather than implying it IS a mix)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Jest!

I was implying that they would only call it a breed if it existed before the kennel club existed.

Honestly, how long would it take to get them to breed true? I guess that depends on what the standards of breeding true are, especially considering the coat variability of the doodles. The silken windhound has shown it can be done pretty quickly, under 20 years I believe. (it would help if they made up a new name rather than implying it IS a mix)
Then a group of people would have to sit down and hash out everything that goes into a breed standard and come up with a new name. After that, a very carefully structured program with a clear result in mind.

Then a group of people would have to sit down and hash out everything that goes into a breed standard and come up with a new name. After that, a very carefully structured program with a clear result in mind.
You just made the main problem very clear. To create a breed there needs to be some form of cooperation between breeders (or someone with a LOT of space and time) or else they will never standardize the appearance or temperament.

You just made the main problem very clear. To create a breed there needs to be some form of cooperation between breeders (or someone with a LOT of space and time) or else they will never standardize the appearance or temperament.
Exactly as it's been done with the Labradoodle....and then some.:)

How we EVER got on the subject of the irresponsible breeding of Labradoodles in this thread is beyond me. I've yet to see any other new breed (and Labradoodles were being bred in the 70's), constantly referred to as BYbred.

One small quote from the ALA -
WORLD FIRST COMPULSARY
DNA TESTING prcd-PRA
The Australian Labradoodle Assoc. is the first dog breed association worldwide to require compulsory DNA testing for ‘prcd-PRA. Prcd-PRA is a generic eye disease that Labradors, poodles and at least 28 other dog breeds carry. The disorder causes cells in the retina at the back of the eye to degenerate and die. There is no treatment or cure for PRA.
Read more about this on the Optigen website.

Show me a purebred dog and I'll show you where they are being bred poorly and without any concern for the breed and many rescues dedicated solely to that breed. Funny how I the mention of a purebred on here never elicites the same negative response...even though the shelters are FULL of purebreds.

Last edited:

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Hmmm...should I or shouldn't I

I think I will...

I think its absolutely pathetic that someone couldnt make a **** thread about the first "doodle" they have ever met without someone bitching or whining about it...

I bet if someone had made a thread about meeting their first pig, goat, zebra, horse, cow, or any other <insert breed> there wouldn't as much said about it....

Back on topic,

Renee, Maddie sounds lovely :)

Exactly my point Jess.:hail:

When I first read Renee's post I thought...that's sweet and I was happy to finally read something other than the typical "they're all BYBred mutants"....somehow I knew it was too good to last.:mad:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I figured this thread would somehow start a AKC bash fest.
As opposed to.... what?

A doodle bash fest?

A 'my-breed-is-better-than-yours' bash fest?

A 'I crop my dogs despite of the bleeding hearts' bash fest?

For goodness sakes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, regardless of whether you like them or agree with them (and no, not everyone has to like them or agree with them). There is such a thing as respect for another's views... perhaps some people need a refresher course on the fact that not all people are going to agree and it is OKAY for them not to and a resulting discussion does not have to result in trivial, childish nonsense.

There used to be such a thing as having a conversation where people could voice their individuality without it becoming about how their feelings are all wrong.

I mean, really. Renee saw a beautiful dog and commented on it. WTH is wrong with that people? Yes, breeding most 'doodles' is something that the world could do without, but how many times, how many threads and how many parades are going to get rained on until everyone feels good and accomplished about the bashing they do?

What exactly did everyone accomplish by voicing their disdain for the dog that they DID NOT SEE? Did it stop the irresponsible breeding of them? I've got news for you all... NO.

Good grief.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I get bashed for my opinions all the time on this board. And quite frankly, I am sick and tired of it. I dont beleive I said a god d*** word about a doodle. I have met them before and they are sweet dogs. Never said my dog was better than anyones.

And oh, btw, I dock, dont crop ;)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I get bashed for my opinions all the time on this board. And quite frankly, I am sick and tired of it. I dont beleive I said a god d*** word about a doodle. I have met them before and they are sweet dogs. Never said my dog was better than anyones.

And oh, btw, I dock, dont crop ;)
Obviously you missed the point. It was not aimed directly at you, what you said was merely the catapult for my post as I was only citing examples of what has gone on in the forums.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
My mistake then.

I do however take offence to the AKC comments, just as I am sure most of you take offence to some of the other things said on this board.

Members online

No members online now.