Eek! non expected puppies! help please people!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Also, it is a big risk for a police department to spend tons of time and money on training a dog with an unknown background. Imagine if when that puppy turns 2, all sorts of health problems come out. There goes all of that time and money that went into training.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
You can't just give dogs to any group that does 'good' things with them. Great in theory, but you haven't thought this out. You've put too many human emotions into a pregnant dog.

I hope you have a grand or more put aside in case she needs an emergency c section, and that you are willing to keep an entire litter of puppies if you can't find them homes.

You cant just go to the police training schools and say "here is a GSD". The dog has to fit a profile, they have to be very drivey, and most GSDs wont pass.

Same with service dogs except they have to have different qualities. Most dogs wont pass this either.

It would be like saying a sheep rancher will take any border collie. Not true, they have to fit the profile and most dont.

I wish you luck and PLEASE spay/neuter them BEFORE they leave for their new homes. INclude the price in the adoption fee. Spay/neuter contracts dont work all of the time.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Not to mention the time off from work, whelping supplies, having a vet who you can count on for help 24 hours a day (a c-section at an emergency vet clinic can easily go from the $1,000-1,500 range). After that, there are the costs of vet visits for mom and pups, food... and being responsible for finding good forever homes for the puppies.

I know it's hard not to anthropomorphize animals... but humans and animals are completely different. I read somewhere that only 25% of all dogs are in their forever homes. Are you ready to take on the responsibility of bringing puppies into this world and assuring yourself that the homes they end up in are permanent ones?

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but we have an extreme overpopulation of dogs in this country.

I have about 3,000 dollars in the building society for all these things mentioned,they were origianly going towards a Bracelet i liked,but this is more important,so money isn't a problem.
Also,how many puppies will an Alsation ussualy have?

I have about 3 homes,Myself,a close family freind,and my aunt wants one.
Amazing what you can do with a phone,isn't it?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Jazzy Jessie, If you didn't know she was pregnant when you got her then I would love to know how you know that she is having "Purebred GSD"s :confused: She could be pregnant by a lab for all you know............

I dont work,so thats not a prob,and also I know there is an etreme over-population of doggies,why'd d'yo think i adopted her in the first place?
Didn't mean to sound rude there though,just having my two cents in,is all.
Apreciate the advice,keep it up! :)

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but we have an extreme overpopulation of dogs in this country.
Especially GSDs. All you have to do is visit: http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB69
--urgent

non urgent/semi urgent: http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6

They are ALL pure bred. Lots are puppies..I personally would abort the puppies too but different people think different things. If she is willing to take these puppies on for life, pay the vet expenses (which jeez i cant even imagine), take lots of time off work, be prepared for if mama rejects them or is aggressive toward them, be prepared if mama dies and puppies have to be bottle fed, be willing to clean up poop/pee constantly for 8-10 weeks, pay for all of them to be spayed/neutered, do home visits for each new family, check references for each family, and be prepared to keep ALL of the pups if not all get adopted, then more power to her.

I forgot about follow ups with each family as well, and be prepared to take back any of the puppies if one of the owners comes back 5 years later saying “hey I screwed this dog up, I don’t want it anymore”. A responsible person will take the dog back no matter what age, or no matter what problems the dog might have, even if they are caused by the person you adopted to (Because remember you chose this person to have one of your puppies). I couldn’t do it but maybe others can. In rescue, we abort puppies if we can. There is no sense bringing more unwanted puppies into this world..

Jessie that sounded rather mean. :(
And red,you're right,I have no idea if the puppies will be purebred.
I didn't know I said that,i didn't mean to. :D

If they are mixes you better plan on keeping all of them for a long, long, long time (5+ months). Shepherd mixes dont find homes very easily. And a Shepherd can have 10+ puppies.

You're all right,What if the puppies are returned from thier homes 5 years later?
The truth? I haven't a clue!
Thing is,I'm terribly unexperienced and un-educated,but thats why I asked for help on here,to understand and be supported through this.

Thanks for the answer, Adoptashelterpettoday.
I think the puppies will be purebred,as when i adopted her They told me her history,she was abandoned in a home when the owner moved away with another two Gsd's, one male,I'm told.But who knows! Another dog might have gotten in and bred to her,for all the shelter knows.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
You're all right,What if the puppies are returned from thier homes 5 years later?
The truth? I haven't a clue!
Thing is,I'm terribly unexperienced and un-educated,but thats why I asked for help on here,to understand and be supported through this.
Luckily and hopefully EVERYONE stays nice in there posts to help you through this. I'm glad that you admitted to being unexperienced and uneducated and that is ALL the MORE REASON to abort the pregnancy...........

Maxy24

They need to be neutered before they leave and if at any point the owner no longer wants them then you must keep them. If you can't find them homes you need to keep them. The female must be put on HIGH QUALITY puppy food and after giving birth should go to the vet to make sure she has not retained any placentas or pups (they will most likely give a shot to make sure she expels what is left). You need to prepare for an emergency with replacement milk and hot water bottles/heating pads incase she rejects them. You need money incase she needs a c-section. Need a whelping box (can't help with that sorry, all I know is it should have a rail on the side so if the pup is against the wall the mom can't push against the wall and crush it). Be prepared for stillborns or pups that die soon after birth and even worse when the pup dies a few days or weeks later on you've gotten to know him. They could be born with defects and you may have to choose to euthanize. Then you must find a good home and give or sell the puppies no earlier than 8 weeks. Screen the homes and don't be hesitant to turn down an owner if you do not feel they are right for your puppies. If they have other dogs or children invite them over and have them all meet the puppy and make sure they get along. You'll need to begin their socialization process to ensure they are well adjusted, non aggressive dogs. You'll need to get them their first round of shots. You also risk loosing the mother during birth. If you cannot handle these things then PLEASE abort. I am not against human or animal abortion (as long as it is not used as a form or birth control in humans) and feel that if the bitch does not have to go through the birthing process then why make her, plus the expense and emotional aspects for you and the risk on your dogs life. Then there is the dog over population problem. Whether or not your pups go into a shelter or not there will be shelter dogs effected. If you give away 6 pups to six different families you are making it so those people do not go to a shelter and get six shelter dogs so that makes six more dead dogs that died for nothing. It is hard to think about but that is what you are facing. From the day these pups are born to the day they die they are your responsibility. If you send them home with a spay/neuter contract then you have the right to go to the owners (after the amount of time you specify on the contract that the dog must be fixed by) and if the dog is not fixed or at least have an appointment to be then you have the right to take the dog back. Reconsider the abort and if you really do not want to do it then understand what you are getting into and get to work on your research. As far as puppy care goes and preparation I can't be of too much help since I have never experience it before but other members have and can help in that area. I wish you luck!

I would honestly suggest that you contact your local German shepherd rescue. Tell them your situation and ask them for support and guidance. They will help you out, but they WILL tell you to abort the puppies. Like I said, people in rescue abort puppies. It’s better then being responsible for 10+ puppies homes for their entire life. And yes, no matter what age you will be responsible for taking the puppies back, even if the previous owner has really screwed the puppy up and YOU will be forced to make the decision on whither the dog is salvageable or not. And you will also have to consider that these puppies might not find homes as soon as you expected. I know you are against abortion but, why bring unwanted puppies into this world? I know quite a few cases where rescuers screened homes extensively only to have the dogs brought back scared, dirty, and aggressive due to undersocialization. And yes some difficult decisions had to be made because no one can keep a dog like that, especially a rescuer who has limited resources.. The rescuers thought these families were WONDERFUL, but people lie and people can put on an act.

Seriously consider aborting the puppies, it isn’t immoral at all it is actually kind. Unless you keep all of them, you don’t know what life these babies face. And if you decide to allow her to deliver, please contact your local GSD rescue and tell them the story and ask for their help in placing them and again I can not stress enough MAKE SURE THESE BABIES ARE FIXED BEFORE LEAVING. I also know of many dogs who got adopted under spay contracts only to be returned to the rescue later pregnant. Spay/neuter contracts don’t work, the best way to make sure it gets done is to make sure it is done before they leave:) .

Well,im sorry I just can't abort them,don't get mad,please.
However, all puppies will be nuetered and the mom will be spayed ASAP.
Once again thanks for the advice,We really aprreciate it. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I dont work,so thats not a prob,and also I know there is an etreme over-population of doggies,why'd d'yo think i adopted her in the first place?
Didn't mean to sound rude there though,just having my two cents in,is all.
Apreciate the advice,keep it up! :)
Yes, that is great that you adopted a dog... but you're going to bring possibly 10+ more pups into this world by letting her keep this litter.

Members online

No members online now.