Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Did anyone do any pre pregnancy prep? We talk of having kids, be worth preparing for it... I am 32 soon, so don't want to wait much longer...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Did anyone do any pre pregnancy prep? We talk of having kids, be worth preparing for it... I am 32 soon, so don't want to wait much longer...
I've been reading and researching for about 3 years now - ever since all my friends started having kids. So nice not to have a deadline, though it hasn't helped with the periodic baby fever. lol I've also collected a few things: cute baby clothes, a sling, almost bought an ergo on sale but it wasn't a color I liked. I've bookmarked various diaper companies, etc. as well

I'm also working on fitness and diet right now; I figure it can only help!

DH and I are looking at starting to "work" toward a human addition at the end of 2014.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
What do you mean by prep exactly?
Not prepping exactly, but we have a goal when we want to start trying. We want to start trying when I am in my late 20's like 28-29 or even 30. But I want at least two children so I would pefer to start earlier than later.

I have been doing lots of research already, especially on natural births and hospital births. Really interesting stuff.

Definitely being in good shape was something I did before trying to conceive. It made pregnancy a breeze. Also, I read a few pregnancy books cover to cover (My fave was The Mother of All Pregnancy Books because its Canadian). And I started taking prenatal vitamins.

milos_mommy

I've heard lots of people say (here in the USA at least) that if you're thinking about taking time off work or being a SAHM to try to live off one income and see if it's doable.

milos_mommy

Does anyone have experience with going over their due date enough to have a biophysical?

I'm now 40 weeks + 4 days. I feel perfectly fine, baby seems fine (moving and all), I'm not too anxious to get the baby out yet...midwife said sex might help things move along (it hasn't) and I could try castor oil if I wanted to be miserable before labor started (I didn't).

My fundal height has been 35cm for the past 3 visits...so 5 weeks. Tomorrow we're doing a EFW since I needed a biophysical anyway. They're now scheduling a biophysical every 3 days, and if it shows anything worrisome, I think they'll want to induce. I just don't know how reliable a biophysical sonogram is...if they suggest induction it's the right thing to do, etc.

The midwives group I'm seeing through the hospital seems very pro-natural birth and anti-unnecessary interventions - it's standard to do things like immediate skin-to-skin, immediate breastfeeding, delayed cord clamping, the baby isn't taken to a nursery at all unless there's a serious issue, etc. But I'm wondering if hospital policy is STILL to push induction towards 42 weeks, even if there's no problems?

LindaJD

I was exactly 2 weeks overdue with 2 of my kids. I was told they would induce at the 42 week mark if I didn't go into labor. This was also over 20 years ago though so I'm sure things are different now. After I was a few days overdue I had to go in every few days for a stress test.
I hated walking into work every morning being so over due, my co-workers would groan every morning when I came in. Finally called in and said I am not going to be in for a few months, I am finally in labor.

Last edited:

milos_mommy

I was exactly 2 weeks overdue with 2 of my kids. I was told they would induce at the 42 week mark if I didn't go into labor. This was also over 20 years ago though so I'm sure things are different now. After I was a few days overdue I had to go in every few days for a stress test.
I don't think too much has changed - my doctors would really push to induce at 42 weeks, and until then I have to get a biophysical/non-stress test every 3 days...I'm just wondering how likely it is for them to say the biophysical is indicating an induction would be the right choice, and how accurate that is.

You guys look great!! Is everything going ok? You can't tell from your pictures that she had such a dramatic entry. :p
Thank you! Everything is going great! I can't believe this is the same baby that was in NICU. She is growing SO fast and eating like a horse. She has fussy days and great days but no matter what, she sleeps really well at night and being well rested helps me deal with the fussy days. Hubby goes back to work though Monday and we will see how that changes things...

MM, I didn't have a biophysical profile because I went into labor two days before it was scheduled. But my midwives booked it and explained that it was important to check four things (baby's heart and swallowing, fluid levels, placenta and something else) and that if we scored too low, they would recommend induction. Going too over due can be as risky as going too early so I was all for it (and I'm the kind of person who waived most of my prenatal testing).

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I had one sonogram after my due date. It showed my fluid was low and they were going to induce. They were afraid of cord friction an tightening around the neck. Turned out my cord was too short for the to even be an issue. It was so short they were physically unable to put her on my chest without cutting the cord. Doc said it was the shortest cord he'd ever seen.

However, while their intial concern was not an issue that induction may have saved Hannahs life. Doc sent the placenta for testing just in case. 2 days later Hannah was diagnosed with pneumonia. The tests on my placebta cane back with two infections on two different levels of the placenta due to bacteria getting in through a slow leak that no one knew I had. Not even me.

Hannah was in the NICU for a week

milos_mommy

Tests were all good! Baby did all the movements for the bpp in about 15 minutes, fluid was good, and EFW was 7lbs 11oz...I know that's inaccurate but as long as it went up from last time we're good :) so no induction yet...dr said he couldn't be sure but would guess baby will be here before the weekend is over.

Barbara!

I'll be 37 weeks on Saturday and I feel like I've been losing fluid but I can't quite be sure... My pads the past couple of days have seemed wetter, if that makes sense. Normal?

Just keep drinking water and pushing fluids. There is a lot of well, to be blunt, wetness in the last several weeks. usually if its anything to worry bout it will be pretty constant and obvious. Of course there are always exceptions and if you are worried or think it might be a leak, no harm in getting in checked out.

Members online

No members online now.