Need last minute collar help (and preview inside!)

Saeleofu

Okay so I finally decided on a design for Gavorche's collar, and I'm going to order it tonight so that it *might* get here before his rally trial (might not, but meh).

Anyway, here's the design - the purple stones may have to be left off depending on how much room there ends up being. It's a Neurodiversity collar, and I'm quite happy with the design :)

I KNOW it will be black leather with silver hardware and 1.25" wide. But I have a few more decisions to make:

1. double leather or single leather?
2. tapered or not?

I'm leaning towwards double leather not tapered...but I am also thinking of single leather tapered. ARGH! So...opinions?

Brattina88

I really like them tapered, it just seems less bulky and more comfortable for the dog, but that's just me ;)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
How big is the concho? I'm thinking if you went double, you may have to go 1.5" atleast?

I really do like them tapered. I really wish I had gotten Rosey's tapered... her collarmania one now is and I love it. It just looks less bulky.. I think it would be better tapered especially on a short haired dog.

Saeleofu

How big is the concho? I'm thinking if you went double, you may have to go 1.5" atleast?

I really do like them tapered. I really wish I had gotten Rosey's tapered... her collarmania one now is and I love it. It just looks less bulky.. I think it would be better tapered especially on a short haired dog.
The concho is 1", rhinestones are 1/2" and squares are 1/4." I emailed Becca and asked her about it, but I'm thinking if I do double leather even though it's *possible* to do 1.25" it might look better as 1.5" - but that's also REALLY pushing it on Gavroche.

So those of you who are Ella's Lead veterans, do you know off hand how much a collar is tapered? Like, is it possible to taper 1.25" to 1"? Or would it have to be tapered to 3/4"?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I think 1.25 - 1 would be too difficult.. then you're taking like, 1/8 inch off the top and bottom. They may be able too, though!

Saeleofu

I'm off to make a paper cutout of a tapered collar and see how it looks on Gavroche :rofl1:

Saeleofu

OH! If I go with single leather, do y'all recommend the suede lining or not? I'm thinking it'll get dirty really fast...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I didn't do the suede lining in the leather one. I really don't think it's particularly necessary, unless he has a sensitive neck (even then it may not bug him... I don't have a short haired dog to know :p )

I don't think Kerri's crew have the suede lining, though..

Dekka

Just try me..
I say no to the lining if your dog gets out and dirty.

I love the taper. My itty bitty JRTs wear a 1.25 wide collar with a taper.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The one time I made a leather collar (which was eaten by Charlie) the leather bled onto Strider's fur when it got damp so you might want to make sure your leather won't do that. I ended up lining it with something, can't remember what now, and that stopped the bleeding at least.

Saeleofu

I have a bridge handle (Liberty's attachment) made from the same black leather and it's never bled. But Gavorche has a green name collar and it bleeds ALL. THE. TIME. I think it's just a crappy dye job. I think I'd actually be more afraid of the suede bleeding than the leather (I'd go with lime green suede if I did it).

Anyway, so I just did the paper cutouts, and 1.25" tapered to 3/4" looks AWFUL on him. The 3/4" is just too thin. But the 1.25" to 1" looks great! I tried 1.5" and it just WAY too thick - looks like a neck brace. I never really appreciated the difference 1/4" makes lol.

I also remeasured his neck and it's 14.75 instead of 14.0, so the pattern may actually fit as pictured...especially if I get single leather (don't have to leave room for the rivets on the second layer).

I think I'll go with the 10/12 oz black leather in a single leather 1.25" tapered to 1" if she can do it.

I guess I want to know what the inside of the collar looks like after the bling is attached and without the suede (and if someone has a pic with suede to show the difference, awesome!) Soooooo...anyone want to show me the inside of their collars? Gavroche is fairly sensitive, but not terribly so. He's also not going to wear it 24/7 since I take collars off when I'm not supervising.

Dekka

Just try me..
The one time I made a leather collar (which was eaten by Charlie) the leather bled onto Strider's fur when it got damp so you might want to make sure your leather won't do that. I ended up lining it with something, can't remember what now, and that stopped the bleeding at least.
If its good quality it shouldn't bleed. Only cheap tack has bled on my white horse. The collars I have from ella's lead have never bled, not matter what the dog swam in (fresh water, salt water, chlorinated water). Mine are various shades of brown, Maf's black one didn't bleed either.

Saeleofu

The leather handle I have seems to be very thoroughly dyed and then sealed VERY VERY well. I know I have used it in the rain at least once and it didn't bleed on my hand. I adore their black leather.

Anyone who has suede...is it glued on or what? I don't intend to take him swimming or anything in this collar. I have biothane collars for that. As long as it securely attached, however it's attached, I'm considering getting a darker suede lining - either black, london green, or electric blue.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I think I may have a picture of the inside of Enzo's single leather. She just has brass spots on it though, not concho...

Yep!

Saeleofu

Hmmmmm...I think I may go ahead and do the suede. But I'm still not sure. Gah! Why is it so hard to make decisions? lol

Saeleofu

Okay. Went with 1 1/4" black single leather tapered to 1" and lined in black suede. Can't wait! As of this morning turnaround time was 2ish weeks. I'm crossing my fingers it'll get here before Dec 3rd, but with my luck it'll get here on the 4th...or on the 3rd while I'm AT the trial :rofl1:

Thanks for all the help everyone! <3

Members online

No members online now.