New to Chaz (with a question, of course)

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
my 2 cents may not be popular,,however,,even tho your FIL may not be the 'perfect" breeder..He's most likely doing more than most of your byb's out there.

He's working his dogs, his dogs are cared for, they seem to have longevity (9 years old for a pyr is pretty darn good especially one who's worked)..

I think if you like their temperaments, and want one,,why not go for it?

has he mentioned if any of his previous puppies have had any major health concerns? I'd most likely ask that.

I guess the only thing I can see in problems down the road,,if something genetic showed up, would this affect the relationship within the family? I think he may be put off if you did go elsewhere to get a pyr,,and that is certainly your choice on where you want to get a dog from.

For myself,,if I had a good gut feeling about it,,I'd go with it and take one..And if your close by,,volunteer to socialize with the puppies prior to bringing one home..
Good luck with your decision
Diane
What Diane said

corgi_love

This has already been said but I really feel that I must repeat it..

Being a large breed dog, health testing is VERY important.

I had a great opportunity to get a great Newfoundland bitch but they breeder did not health test. So even though I had nearly a puppy at my feet, I declined.

It's VITAL that the parents have health clearences. Have you considered what it would be like to have a dog with HD or ED? She/He will be in pain and it can lead to restricted movement. To top it off, if it's severe enough the dog could require surgery(EXPENSIVE) or to humanly put the dog down. Are you really willing to risk this becuase it's your father in law?

I don't want to come across rude or anything to that extent. I'm just very concerned. Health, especially in large breed dogs, is extremely important. I hope you take it seriously and find a breeder who does the health testing required for your breed- as I was told before when I had a thread similar to this one, your healthy dream puppy WILL be worth the wait.

I am SO glad I waited. I got a great dog with a great health background and very healthy parents. And she even came with a 5 year health guarantee(also a good sign of a great breeder).

I hope you will reconsider and get the perfect puppy!

PS- Welcome to Chazhound :D

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
The only reason I'd think about one of these pups out of non-tested parents is because they're working dogs that it sounds like the pups stay in the area. That means they should know if any of the lines are throwing issues.

Members online

No members online now.