Trick of the week: Jump through hoop!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
That's the plan! A little hard to place because she is no good with cats and selective about which dogs she likes, and no small kids (she thinks they're fun to knock over), in addition to being insane. I love her to bits.

She's 2, UTD on vaccines, spayed, yadda yadda. Sweet as pie.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I started this this morning with B and a houla hoop. We're working on targeting it and reliability.

Funny, I think this will help his butt dragging on the hoop in agility, he's never been on anything but a breakaway and I think he learned that jumping low and breaking through was fine. When he does that with the hoop he gets tangled and weirded out. :D thanks Sara!

DenoLo

[YOUTUBE]EKdItHQYqBs&list[/YOUTUBE]

We're working on going through the hoop on the ground. This is our day 1 results!

Maxy24

I cannot get my hands on any hoola hoops, or anything I can turn into a hoop. So I'll have to give jumping through hoop arms a try...not sure how it's gonna go, I've never used my body as a prop in training lol. I think I'm going to just use Tucker though, not Phoebe. I started by having them try going over a wiffle ball bat and even with it laying flat on the floor Phoebe tripped over it with her back feet every time. Hind end aware she is not. Tucker caught on pretty fast though, so maybe once he can go over the bat at a decent height I can switch to my arm, then turn it into a hoop.

I'm trying to get Pirate to jump through my arms but that's not very successful. He'll jump over a single arm but not hooped. Emily's just too darn big so I have her jumping over my leg. lol

Kootenay

Ok, here is our first session working on this. Yarrow is such a giant I figured I'd better use a hoop. And then the only hoop I could find was even giant-er than him!

[YOUTUBE]zGTx-IGyoHw[/YOUTUBE]

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I cannot get my hands on any hoola hoops, or anything I can turn into a hoop. So I'll have to give jumping through hoop arms a try...not sure how it's gonna go, I've never used my body as a prop in training lol. I think I'm going to just use Tucker though, not Phoebe. I started by having them try going over a wiffle ball bat and even with it laying flat on the floor Phoebe tripped over it with her back feet every time. Hind end aware she is not. Tucker caught on pretty fast though, so maybe once he can go over the bat at a decent height I can switch to my arm, then turn it into a hoop.
Do you have a Five Below store near you? I got one today for $2 at a Five Below store. You can probably find them at Walmart for super cheap as well.

I'm going to try the hoop with both Bamm and Joey... going to try the chest vault one with Cricket I think.

Cricket loves to jump straight into the air and sometimes she slaps me with her front paws.... gotta work on shaping it into a chest vault through arm hoop. I may try the sitting down and having her go off my legs first though and see if I can get anywhere with that. I also bought a jump rope because I seriously want to teach her to jump rope soon. Maybe that could be a trick week one of these days.

So... I'm going to start working on these today though I am a little behind already.

SaraB

Zuma doesn't like to do the vault hoop, so I decided to do just the normal arm hoop with her. Working on phasing out the go around cue next.

[YOUTUBE]bAokrrxl9Xw[/YOUTUBE]

k9krazee

Bloo is SO COOL!!!! I love her!!!!!!!

I love Yarrow's giant hoop! :D

Sloan is awesome. What a great idea!

Zuma's great!!

Eta - I can't watch Art's video on my phone but I'm excited to see it!

Maxy24

We had our second session of jumping over a stick (well a tube, before it was a bat, so stick shaped things). I started like I did the first session, luring/hand targeting over the stick. But he didn't seem to get what he was doing right to get the treat. No hand target from me meant no going over stick. And I had to get off of a hand target before I could start transitioning to my arm (rushing I know). So I decided I'd go back to square one and just try and shape him over. So I put it back down on the floor and waited. He didn't really catch on this time, but hopefully next time. He either scratched the tube or lied down. I suppose I could start with scratching but I really think we should be able to start with walking over it, he's doing it frequently enough I think. I made the session WAY too long, I really need to time myself or something, it didn't feel that long at all. I also need to be more patient and stop trying to move ahead so fast.

I made a video but youtube is being difficult, I'll try to get it up later.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
OK so I tried this today using her dinner as reward LOL. Haven't had much training time lately :/

Anyways, even in viewing this I know I need to fade my pointing her off like ASAP. But here's what we did in like 5 minutes! I wasn't recording, then decided to record it, which is why it's only 1 minute long - this is the end of the session. My arms are in a hoop shape, I just look icky and wanted to leave out my face :p

[YOUTUBE]OxC2SZ379og[/YOUTUBE]

For those who used this sort of method, how long did you stay sitting?

k9krazee

OK so I tried this today using her dinner as reward LOL. Haven't had much training time lately :/

Anyways, even in viewing this I know I need to fade my pointing her off like ASAP. But here's what we did in like 5 minutes! I wasn't recording, then decided to record it, which is why it's only 1 minute long - this is the end of the session. My arms are in a hoop shape, I just look icky and wanted to leave out my face :p

[YOUTUBE]OxC2SZ379og[/YOUTUBE]

For those who used this sort of method, how long did you stay sitting?
Have her jump up on your lap and circle the other way when she hops off---not turning back around the chair but turning and getting a treat out of the left hand. So she does a circle. That will help later with the flow when you stand. Which I did as soon as he was reliably doing a circle

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Have her jump up on your lap and circle the other way when she hops off---not turning back around the chair but turning and getting a treat out of the left hand. So she does a circle. That will help later with the flow when you stand. Which I did as soon as he was reliably doing a circle
Ohhhhh so instead of circling around me like a finish, have her circle in front of me (she would be going to the left versus to the right around me)? If that makes sense :p

I've had a break through with Pirate. He'll now jump through my hooped arms as long as I throw a treat through first. It's progress but not where I'd like him to be yet. And this has taken four days.

Dex

I thought I'd share this photo of Dex doing her hoop/arms trick during her freestyle at a disc dog event. As SaraB put it: "this looks like she is erupting from you like an alien baby".

I couldn't agree more! :p

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Is this how most start this trick? I was actually having trouble visualizing it and this helps. (Did I totally miss it earlier in this thread?) I feel dumb now. LOL

Members online

No members online now.