problem with running

neko12

when i take neko out side to play with me and my other dog. I have to keep him on a chain(its like a long chain), but i don't have to hold on to it and he won't leave the yard, but if I have him on the chain he will take off and i don't understand because when hes on the chain and i'm not holding on to it i call his name and he come.

and I don't know what to do. how can you train your dog to come off leash, when he come on leash.

maui

Hi,

Quick question for clarification...

When you take Neko outside on a long line, he won't run away, even if you let the line drag?
When you take Neko outside without a long line he runs away?

If that is the case, I would look into dog training schools in your area. There are group "outdoor" classes that specialize in offleash training.

Also, every time Neko comes to you it's good. Even if what Neko was just doing was bad. Let's say Neko (I like your dog's name-fyi) was just about to jump on the sofa where you don't want him. And you say, "Neko, Come!" (Sound very happy/perky, not mad) And Neko puts a paw on the sofa, turns around and comes right to you. Neko is a very good boy. Neko isn't bad for putting a paw on the sofa. This would be the same if he stole a slipper and is running around. If he comes to you he is good, even if he stole a slipper. Don't punish anything like that for now, he will learn Keep Away.

Start this inside. I like the kitchen for quick learning because our dog leans so well in the food room. When you have a peice of chicken walk away. If Neko comes to you get really really excited when he invades your space bubble and give him the chicken. If he does this regularly, give the name, either "come" or "here". You name it after he does it right regularly.

So, for right now every single time Neko comes to you he is an amazing super good boy who gets a cookie. Don't rip his toys out of his mouth, don't punish him for coming too slowly. He came, he is great! Also, start moving around from room to room, then move outside. How soon your dog gets to do this outside will depend on how fast he learns other things. You seem to know him really well already!

You also may want to play a game where when you grab his collar he gets a toy. This is helpful outside when you do need to grab him. He'll come to think Mom Grabbing Me = Good Things. And, he'll be less likely to run from you when you put out your hand to get him.

I think Emma may have some good advice for this as well.

Maui

mrose_s

BusterLove
I have the same problem... in reverse...
My dog wont heel on the lead, but the minute you let him off he is SO well behaved
LOL, the things they do

bubbatd

I once boarded a dog that did this. He loved our woods and would run and run ,but wouldn't come when called. I was so afraid he'd run away and get hurt. He loved to go in the car with me and the other dogs so I finally got my keys and said let's go car-car. He ran up to me but as I grabbed his collar, he pulled away...my keys stuck in the collar !! What a game he was playing with me and I thought my keys would flip off and be gone forever,,, he finally came to me, with keys, so I did take him for a ride !! Guess who won that one ...not I!

maui

That's a good one bubbatd.

Our boy isn't perfect off leash, with some it takes years. We're doing the training and he is improving. ahhhh someday.

Sometimes we yell, "Come!" and if he doesn't I head to the front yard without him. He is in the backyard watching me through the fence. I skip around (The neighbors know what I am doing -lol) The next few times I call him to come, he is a bit snappier. And, I take him out to the front.

Will keep you posted!

Members online

No members online now.