Bald spots on mom

shepluvr

My foster mom is losing her hair in the same area on both of her sides. She has actual bald spots. Have any of you experienced this in any of your nursing moms? There is no evidence of bald spots or thinning hair on the pups. The pups will be 4.5 weeks old.

Mach1girl

The et told me that the dog will typically "blow their coat" either before, after the litter is born. My dog did before but got worse after. The vet warned me of this. Gave me vitamins(fish oil) to help with her coat and said as soon as nursing ends, she can have a steroid to make her hair grow back the the blown coat will go away!She can go back to her old self.

Maybe your girl has blown her coat. Short hair dogs is more obvious, but I would guess safely this is what has happened. Call your vet and ask as well, just to make sure.

shepluvr

I hope that is all that it is.. I have had several moms but have not seen this before. I know there coats can lose luster etc, but have not seen one get actual bald spots. Did Dixie get bald spots?

bubbatd

My Goldens just naturally loss hair around the nipples..... I did give the Mom's extra oils and vitamins and their coats didn't suffer much ... pregnancy and lactation can take it's toll . Just be aware and share with your vet.

Humm yes they can lose their coat but they shouldnt loose it to the point that their are bald spots, where exectly is she bold? What is she eating?

Mach1girl

She is bald! She is on Nutro Large Breed Puppy Formula. She had blown her coat before the pups came, and at the vet he explained the blowing coat process and said that if they lose it that bad before the pups come, it will be worse after they are born, sure enough, she is bald. Not completly, but alot of bald spots. She doesnt itch, no scabs, just looks funny.

She is on vitamins for it, and after the pups are weaned, will get a steroid shot as well. Then there should be no more problems.She doesnt have any major allergies, we had her tested when she broke out from Chlorine and pollen last year. The oaks are blooming so that may be part of it as well.

bubbatd

I agree with Gallien.... loss of coat but not bald except around the nipples.... what does you vet say ???

Mach1girl

says above.....he said she blew her coat. Bitches are like women, all are different. That is also why she sewlls in heat so lage, she could pass a bowling ball-no lie, we took her to the vet because it looked like a deformity. The breeder says she is just like her momma.

bubbatd

My mistake... I'm not used to short haired dogs... to me a blown coat was loss or thinning of hair... not badlness.

bubbatd said:
My mistake... I'm not used to short haired dogs... to me a blown coat was loss or thinning of hair... not badlness.
Well yes moo too and I only have short haired dogs, if her mum was the same than i am sure she will be OK, its just not what I'm used to. Personally I wouldn't go for the injection I would let her recover naturally, A great supplement is mault formula, Jessika had if from conception on wards even the pups can have it, also oil of evening primrose is great, good luck i hope she is back to her normal self soon

Members online

No members online now.