American allaunt

Hi I have just got a 12 week old American allaunt pup and don't really no mutch about the breed I have been told their a pritty rare breed and thts all I no about them any help would be great cheers

milos_mommy

Where did you get him from?

How much experience do you have with other dogs?

From what I know, they're a dog for a very experience handler. They need a lot of socialization and training done correctly in order to be good pets or working dogs. I would definitely look into getting to a puppy class with him, and getting some good books on dog care and training.

Do you own any other animals? Be prepared for him or her to potentially go after other dogs or pets as they reach maturity.

I'm not sure American Allaunt is even a legitimate breed...I have heard they're the same thing as a Presa Canario or a mix between large molosser dogs (Cane Corso, Presa, etc.) with a fancy label put on them, but I'm not too sure how correct that is. Either way, this is a dog that will be very protective of it's home and family, and needs to be given a wide variety of experiences with people at an early age so that it doesn't become inappropriately defensive. Here is a good checklist of some things your puppy should have positive experiences with http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/01/socialize-your-puppy-our-checklist-will-help/.

Hi

Hi I got him in Hawick in the Scottish Borders. I have had plenty of exspereance with other dog just never heard of this breed and was told they were a rare breed so didant no if they had any common health problems or anything lyk tht. Would you no of any breeders tht breed this type of dog cheers

milos_mommy

They're not a rare breed....they're not really a breed at all. He's likely either a Presa Canario labeled as an American Allaunt to rack up the price, or a big molosser mix.

Health problems they're prone to are going to be the same as the Presa or other large breeds...hip and elbow problems, skin problems, and epilepsy. I think mostly except for the joint issues, they're relatively healthy. It's unlikely, but were the parents of the dog health tested and certified?

As far as raising him, you're going to raise him the same way you'd want to raise any other large, protective, molosser type breed. Mainly lots of socialization and lots of early positive reinforcement training, setting good boundaries, etc.

Staff online

Members online