Good clipper set?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
In recent months I have found myself more and more wishing I had my own grooming supplies. First on my list to get is a pair of clippers and some blades.

The groomer I work with has offered to sell me a pair of her clippers (and a #10 blade) for $100. She bought the clippers new for $150 and has only used them maybe a handful of times. Nothing wrong with them, she just prefers the grip on her other pair better. But, I didn't know if there were a decent pair of clippers out there (possibly with a package deal?) for a better price.

I'd be using them for Chloe (#40 with comb attachment all over), popping mats out of the two long haired cats, shaving down my boyfriend's Uncle's Yorkie, and possibly touching up my Grandma's ancient Schnauzer. Chloe gets groomed every 8 weeks or so, so that is really about as frequent of use as the clippers will be getting. I want something that will work and work well, but I don't need a high end clipper that is made to withstand grooming 15 dogs a day, five days a week.

I need the clippers, comb attachments (the groomer has three and I use the smallest...not sure what size it is), a #10, #40, and a #4 or #5.

I'm also in the market for a good pair of sheers (I scissor Chloe's feathers/tail/face/feet), as well as a nail grinder.

Any suggestions? Or better yet, anybody have any old grooming supplies they want to sell cheap to a poor college student? :p

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Go to petedge and ebay. They're your friends for this venture.

I like Andis AGC series and to be honest unless you do a whole crapload of grooming you could get a comb set and just use the 10 it comes with. Get a cheap pair of grooming straights and you should be set.

Without knowing what kind of clipper set she's trying to sell you I have no idea if it's a good deal or not. Also I would want to know how well she maintains her equipment. It matters to the life of the device.

*blackrose

Go to petedge and ebay. They're your friends for this venture.

I like Andis AGC series and to be honest unless you do a whole crapload of grooming you could get a comb set and just use the 10 it comes with. Get a cheap pair of grooming straights and you should be set.

Without knowing what kind of clipper set she's trying to sell you I have no idea if it's a good deal or not. Also I would want to know how well she maintains her equipment. It matters to the life of the device.
I tried to figure out what it was via google, but I failed. Ah, nevermind, here it is: http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...rooming-Clipper/pc/190/c/330/sc/397/45790.uts

She is very good with her equipment, so I'm not worried at all about something being wrong with it due to improper handling.

The Andis UltraEdge 2 Speed is what I currently borrow from her to use and I really like it - bit too pricey for me, though.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I have to ask, why a #40? Those are typically used for surgery shaves and in between paw pads (I use them on Bobsie and Doom's feet to keep from having to disentangle stickers constantly).

ETA
NVM... I'm too stupid to read properly today... I have tomato soup on the brain, LOL!!!

http://www.ryanspet.com/andis-2-speed-agc-clipper-w-10-blade-pz-AND22340.html
These are the ones I use, along with the Andis Ceramic blade. I've had them since I started grooming just after my eighteenth birthday, and I use them A LOT. They're even still quiet after all these years LOL!!!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*

*blackrose

It's probably a POS not worth the plastic it's contained in.
That's what I figured. LOL

Looks like I'll just be buying that pair of clippers off the groomer, then.

As for scissors. I'm assuming I can't really go wrong just buying a somewhat cheap pair, but I remember a few years ago I bought a pair that was just crap. I bought them to use on my long haired Guinea Pigs and it didn't cut jack. I ended up just using my mom's sewing scissors. Anything in particular to avoid?

I have to ask, why a #40? Those are typically used for surgery shaves and in between paw pads (I use them on Bobsie and Doom's feet to keep from having to disentangle stickers constantly).

ETA
NVM... I'm too stupid to read properly today... I have tomato soup on the brain, LOL!!!
Yup, I use the #40 with the comb attachment. ;)

*blackrose

Thanks so much!

One last question...I won't be in any rush to purchase blades, but when I do, I'm assuming I can use whatever brand of blades I'd like? (Under the assumption I purchase the Wahl clippers from the groomer.) I know the groomer uses Oster, but I'd probably go for something a little less pricey.

ETA: What about this clipper?
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...2-Speed-Clipper/pc/190/c/330/sc/397/46818.uts

It come with a #10, #7, and #5, I think, which would make it a good deal...

Last edited:

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Ebay is a great place for new blades. Usually yes, you can use almost any blade with any ol clipper set but odds are you aren't going to need them. Try to stick with FC blades and avoid skip toothed ones.

Members online