Wanted to share

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
our latest training achievement: training a dog to accept eye drops without restraint!

A client was referred to me by the local vet behaviorist because his dog has an autoimmune disease that means that the dog will lose his sight without drops given daily, yet the dog will bite the owner when restrained and even with a muzzle on will lock his head down to prevent him from getting eye drops.

I'm working with the client on shaping a solid "head in the lap" behavior for eye drop administration, but to help give him a visual guide during the week between appointments I also taught Kes the behavior while videoing the process and sent the client the full clips.

As of today, session 3 with the client, the dog has finally accepted one drop in his bad eye and we expect him to be able to accept drops in both eyes by this time next week if all goes as planned. I'm really proud of my client!

Kes is also accepting drops without issue, so I decided to edit the training video down and turn it into a video for others who might be interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auixr0Tlams . I figured you all might find it nifty as well. :)

Members online

No members online now.