Training a shelter dog?!

GipsyQueen

So some of you may remember me posting having a goddog at the local shelter. I couldn't visit him since the first time I came at the end of february because I was sick for 3 weeks and then had to catch up with school. I felt horrible. I visited him yesterday, and hes very loving and loves to cuddle. A women there said I could take him out of the shelter, even though I'm not 16 (turning 16 on 4.23 so it wasn't that big of an issue.) So I took him out and he reallllly wanted to get out of there so he pulled pretty strong. He only has three legs so his adopting chances are already a little low. But he has no training what so ever! Maybe he just doesn't understand germany because he came from Turkey. Anyways when he walks he'll lie down after about 5 minutes and want some loving. So I pet him and such and tell him that we're going to keep going and so he comes with me but only for like 10 feet. So then we went back to a small field to play a little, and was fine with that, he loved being out in the sun. So when I tried to see if he had any training. I tried sit, stay, come. Anything simple, but he didn't listen to anything. I couldn't even really get his attention.
So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on training a 6 year old Doberman? I want to get his addoption chances up by teaching him:
Sit. Stay. Come. Heal.
I can't take to a class because he's not mine and doesn't live with me.

hbwright

Older dogs can be taught the same as puppies. Some may take longer to break bad habits rather then just learning new ones. Try a clicker. I'm using it for the puppy and it seems to be doing great. Start off with a hand full of kibble and click/reward, click/reward, keep repeating. Then lure him to a sit and start with that. Sit/click/reward, repeat, repeat, repeat. There are a lot of good clicker training sites for free that you can start off with.

I think it is wonderful for you to help him out by wanting to train him to better his chances for a forever home. He's very lucky to have you as a human godparent.

GipsyQueen

I've heard about clicker training, but I don't know to much about it. I think its a good way to teach a dog, and I want to use it on my next dog, where I know that I can continue using the clicker. But since he will (hopefully) go to a forever home wouldn't the people who train him there, and take care of him have to continue the clicker training? I'm not sure If I will be able to speak with he forever parents.

mrose_s

BusterLove
i think its great you want to up his chances of adoption. thats great. its just the same us a pup basically. plus he sounds eager to learn. good luck!

Members online

No members online now.