Cheap food requiring little to no prep?

noludoru

Bored Now.
That isn't eating out?

We have an issue where we're living now about the kitchen being unsanitary. After I lost three (work!)days due to severe food poisoning when we THOUGHT we sanitized everything before cooking, and other similar circumstances, we're not cooking in the kitchen any longer. Eating out for a month isn't feasible, it would cost too much.

I usually do canned soup, but he's not going for that as a meal option because it requires microwaving and cleaning/disinfecting a bowl before use instead of using plastic.

We've been getting prepared (cold) foods from the grocery store and eating them, or buying cheap pizzas and having leftovers. Any other suggestions? I know a lot of you are GOOD at eating cheaply, and I'm really not. We have a fridge of our own to safely store stuff and we're using paper/plastic ONLY.

Fran27

Ok... that is weird. Are you sure it was the kitchen stuff and not the food itself? I can't really see how it could still be unsanitary if you've bleached everything and washed the silverware/pots and pans properly? I'm guessing that if you share the kitchen it's probably more difficult though...

Short of making your own sandwiches and salads and using plastic stuff, I don't really know. But I can't imagine that it would be cheap to eat that way, as typically cheap foods are things you pretty much have to cook to eat.

xpaeanx

I would just go to Walmart and buy a toaster oven or microwave for my room & 2 plates & bowls. They also have single plug in burners if you felt so inclined. Or you could even just buy your own pot to use on the stove.

Having my own little set-up in my room has always alleviated any kitchen sharing issues I've had. I tend to get the most use out of my toaster oven because I can use it to heat and bake things (although you can't make soup in it).

Otherwise cheap food that doesn't need any sort of heat prep and isn't take out? Salad, cereal, fruits & veggies, you could buy things like chicken salad and make sandwiches... Grocery stores usually sell rotisserie chickens too, I buy them and eat what I want then make chicken salad out of the rest. You could do cold cuts for sandwiches as well....

If you bought the single burner & pot for your room(or just a pot if you're willing to heat on the stove)...
Then you have all kinds of options open up.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I love the single burner and toaster oven idea, that totally opens up everything you can eat. Pasta is a good one, if you go this route - a box of pasta and a jar of sauce is a couple of bucks, lasts me 6-7 meals, you can add in whatever you like to switch it up a bit, which is also pretty cheap. Chili from scratch is also pretty cheap if you don't add meat, or just add a bit.

Another idea is invest in a crockpot? I got mine for $20 last year around this time.

As far as cheap stuff that you don't need to heat, protein bars? A lot of them taste terrible (I like Quest and MetRx brand), but they're very dense and filling (which is why I eat them, not because I need more protein). I can usually find them for a buck each if I wait for sales.

Cup O' Soup
Easy Mac
And similar... there are tons of other Soups/meals that you microwave right in the container you buy them in, so no bowl needed.

crazedACD

Frozen dinners/breakfast? Still need to microwave but they are in their own bowls. Hormel has pretty good meals in a bowl that don't need to be frozen.

joce

Peanut butter and jelly?

I'm wondering if it's something else and just misdiagnosed? My mom was a terrible housekeeper when we were young and we never got food poisoning. Dirty dishes can pile up but as long as you eat what you cook with and eat off of your good.

There are certain germs from mice that can make you very ill. I think you can have that same food poisoning reaction or worse. Someone here or the horse forum had that and it's not lack of cleanliness just bad luck that the one mouse that picks your home has it.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Ok... that is weird. Are you sure it was the kitchen stuff and not the food itself? I can't really see how it could still be unsanitary if you've bleached everything and washed the silverware/pots and pans properly? I'm guessing that if you share the kitchen it's probably more difficult though...

Short of making your own sandwiches and salads and using plastic stuff, I don't really know. But I can't imagine that it would be cheap to eat that way, as typically cheap foods are things you pretty much have to cook to eat.
Yep. I'm sure it is.

Cup O' Soup
Easy Mac
And similar... there are tons of other Soups/meals that you microwave right in the container you buy them in, so no bowl needed.
I love that idea. Something I don't have to wash a bowl for is worth using the microwave for.

Peanut butter and jelly?

I'm wondering if it's something else and just misdiagnosed? My mom was a terrible housekeeper when we were young and we never got food poisoning. Dirty dishes can pile up but as long as you eat what you cook with and eat off of your good.

There are certain germs from mice that can make you very ill. I think you can have that same food poisoning reaction or worse. Someone here or the horse forum had that and it's not lack of cleanliness just bad luck that the one mouse that picks your home has it.
Okay, so in response to the questions and concerns that it might not be food poisoning... Because I don't think we have mice and we have an excellent cat who is a fantastic hunter. He catches squirrels, even.

1. My roommate has no understanding of germ theory.
2. My roommate never washes his hands. I've seen him wash them 4x since I've lived here. We've watched him prepare dinners with raw meat and not wash his hands once - not before, during, after, or after eating. He rinses his hands after using the toilet. He doesn't shower daily, or I'd be confident it happens more than once a day.
3. He is a Janitor. Who does not wash his hands and hasn't for decades. He comes home covered, head to toe, in a fine powder of sawdust about once a month. Except he told us it's actually mold from the drains and children's ball pit where he works. Instead of changing and showering, he fixed himself dinner and parked himself on the couch. The second time, he changed clothes but did not wash his hands and arms - you could see it on him.
4. The cutting board in the kitchen is a block of mold and bacterial growth. We sanded it, wiped with denatured alcohol, and salt scrubbed it. A week later, there was mold growth. (Please understand that I live in a desert state, and my previous roommate would leave coffee grinds in the coffee maker for 1-2 weeks before they molded. You don't see mold here like you do in most states. Mold is everywhere, but to have it crustily growing on everything is abnormal. I've never seen mold in a toilet before this.)
5. He doesn't understand disinfecting. At all. He touches raw meat (raw pork 1x a week) without washing his hands. We came home to a kitchen covered in blood once when he went away for the week. Like a horror scene. Duck blood everywhere.
5. A. He thinks a sponge disinfects on it's own, so he wipes the cutting board with raw bacon grease down and then wipes down the kitchen with it, rinses the sponge, and puts it on the counter. Then he will wash his water glass and breakfast dishes with the same sponge - a few swipes, rinse, done. Sometimes he uses soap. Then he dries the dishes and puts them away with the supposedly clean hand towel.

I can give you more details on the contamination if you'd like, but for now I'm stopping here. He was food poisoning me for months and the BF for almost as long - he eats like a goat, I've never seen him get sick. Once we switched to paper and plastic it got better, but anything we touch in the kitchen has to be disinfected first.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Cheap and no prep really don't go hand in hand. :(

How about a cutting board that rolls up that you can store in your room, along with a cleaning utensil for it? From the sound of it, I'd honestly just buy a few cheap items and store them in a rubbermaid box for when you guys need to use the kitchen. It'll enable you to disinfect your food prep surface without so much concern about where the kitchen sponge has been.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Cheap and no prep really don't go hand in hand. :(

How about a cutting board that rolls up that you can store in your room, along with a cleaning utensil for it? From the sound of it, I'd honestly just buy a few cheap items and store them in a rubbermaid box for when you guys need to use the kitchen. It'll enable you to disinfect your food prep surface without so much concern about where the kitchen sponge has been.
We have a knife in here and cut stuff on plates. . . and we've been getting clearance salads and prepped foods from kroger that are 2-4 bucks a piece. So far this is the cheapest we've managed. :eek:

I hate this. I live with someone who can cook. I WANT HIM TO COOK.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
If you got a single burner you could at least make pasta which is cheap and filling. No cook stuff isn't cheap or it doesn't stay edible for long (like produce). Jerky is filling and good protein but not usually cheap. If you had a dehydrator that would be an option though.

Good luck, hopefully you can get out sooner rather than later.

noludoru

Bored Now.
If you got a single burner you could at least make pasta which is cheap and filling. No cook stuff isn't cheap or it doesn't stay edible for long (like produce). Jerky is filling and good protein but not usually cheap. If you had a dehydrator that would be an option though.

Good luck, hopefully you can get out sooner rather than later.
<3 Thanks! The update on this is that things are moving. I'm a LITTLE less stressed about everything right now. I'll have a FB update for real in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, THANK YOU ALL for every bit of advice/suggestions/etc. We are getting a burner for the room and bringing the cutting boards/etc. We have our own fridge, so we have been getting prepared foods (salads, salads, more salads, pudding, chopped veggies, yogurt, etc) from the clearance section at kroger. The salads are absurdly cheap and really good. Plus lots of cereal. Once we have a microwave, I think microwave meals will be an option. The BF is utilizing the PB & J, but I can't stand it. :p So things are working out with this and I just want to give you all an extra thank you.

SoCrafty

Yikes! That sounds awful. Hope you are able to get out of there soon.

Once you get your microwave you can make any of the Rice (or Pasta) A Roni dishes, and I know my hubby had a cookbook for microwaving all foods. Maybe check out a local flea market and see if you can pick one up for cheap. Supposedly you can cook pretty much anything in a microwave.

I also recommend a toaster oven. I got mine cheap at Target and it was perfectly sized to bake like 4 biscuits, I have done mini english muffin pizzas in there, and the crescent roll hot dogs too. I am sure walmart would have one even cheaper. You just need one that has a baking option.

Members online

No members online now.