The dog musing/vent thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yes but you rescued both of your dogs, rescued dogs are a kind of "as is no warranty" thing. Any bonuses like Ma'ii's herding ability or Josefina's possible abilities as a service dog are great, since we rescued them as aren't going to give the dog back if they didn't have those skills.

A dog from a breeder, bred for a certain purpose or job (whatever it might be) a dog that I would be paying hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of dollars for, the logical thing is that whether it's a herding dog that is afraid of livestock or a working dog that doesn't have drive, or a sporting dog who doesn't have the drive to retrieve, it would be silly to keep them.

The breeders are never mad Bout getting a puppy / dog back for that reason, they might try to see if there is anything the owner is doing or not doing, or suggest a professional to help with the issue ... But if nothing works then they would have no problem with the buyer sending the puppy or dog back.

Shakou

Yes but you rescued both of your dogs, rescued dogs are a kind of "as is no warranty" thing. Any bonuses like Ma'ii's herding ability or Josefina's possible abilities as a service dog are great, since we rescued them as aren't going to give the dog back if they didn't have those skills.

A dog from a breeder, bred for a certain purpose or job (whatever it might be) a dog that I would be paying hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of dollars for, the logical thing is that whether it's a herding dog that is afraid of livestock or a working dog that doesn't have drive, or a sporting dog who doesn't have the drive to retrieve, it would be silly to keep them.

The breeders are never mad Bout getting a puppy / dog back for that reason, they might try to see if there is anything the owner is doing or not doing, or suggest a professional to help with the issue ... But if nothing works then they would have no problem with the buyer sending the puppy or dog back.
I wasn't referring to your post, I was "musing" just in general. People can screw up even the best bred dog if they aren't training them properly.

Kootenay

Ok, I take it all back, Onyx is sleeping on the couch watching TV with me, hugging my leg and resting her head on me. Cutest sweetest girl ever.

Saeleofu

I got Logan specifically to train as a service dog. If he hadn't worked out...I'd still have kept him. I know not everyone has that luxury, but it's far from "silly" to keep a dog you love just because they didn't work out for their intended purpose.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I got Logan specifically to train as a service dog. If he hadn't worked out...I'd still have kept him. I know not everyone has that luxury, but it's far from "silly" to keep a dog you love just because they didn't work out for their intended purpose.
My feels.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yup definitely. I will do my best to stack my odds to get a dog that will play the sports I want to play in but at the end of the day if it doesn't work out for whatever reason... it's just a sport and I want to keep my dog. We'll find some other fun stuff to do.

Red.Apricot

I got Elsie to do obedience; even if that hadn't (doesn't?) work out, she's my dog for the rest of her life. I love her, not just sports. I'm just not dedicated enough to the sport to move a dog out of my home because they can't trial.

As much as I love Elsie, I've had crying-meltdown bad-days at training before. I don't take that out on Elsie, but I've said things I didn't really mean because I was frustrated and upset.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Ok, I take it all back, Onyx is sleeping on the couch watching TV with me, hugging my leg and resting her head on me. Cutest sweetest girl ever.

I swear, they pull stuff and then do this to keep you from killing them haha.

Shakou

This. I could see it being different for someone who got a working dog out of necessity. But if I loved the dog, I'd keep them regardless.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I understand rehoming a working dog that doesn't work. I don't understand rehoming a dog because it isn't good at agility. The whole point of agility is to have fun with your dog, it's a game.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penny sucks at everything and I still manage to find a way to love her defective little arse ;) I couldn't imagine giving her back to the breeder after having her for 3 minutes. Only if there was a huge issue (aggression ..one thing I won't do again after having Squirt).

Shakou

It would have to be a SERIOUS behavior issue for me to want to return a dog to a breeder (or wherever I got them). I plan to get my next dog from a breeder, and would LIKE to get into some kind of dog sports. I like the idea of getting into a hobby that I can share with my dog. But if it doesn't work out that way, it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't make me love my dog any less. Dogs love us for who we are. Don't see why people can't return that sentiment.

And again, my mom is firmly convinced that if I don't get Hudson neutered OMG right NOW! he'll die of prostate cancer. And anything said otherwise is wrong and can't be trusted

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
If I rescued a puppy and they just happened to be good at a sport or whatever then that's an added bonus, if not then I certainly wouldn't give them back or anything.

I never have exchanged a dog, but my examples were more like, I can understand why some people would in some situations as for me, even if I paid big bucks from a breeder I wouldn't give a dog back. Because I always become attached to the little buggers ... Lol

It would have to be a SERIOUS behavior issue for me to want to return a dog to a breeder (or wherever I got them). I plan to get my next dog from a breeder, and would LIKE to get into some kind of dog sports. I like the idea of getting into a hobby that I can share with my dog. But if it doesn't work out that way, it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't make me love my dog any less. Dogs love us for who we are. Don't see why people can't return that sentiment.
All of this for me, as well. Personally; all three of my dogs are dogs that, for the most part, have nothing in them that I'd really like in a dog. But, I'd never get rid of them and they're still my dogs! I just make do with what they do give me. Which is great companionship and cuddles - since they're all such lazy bums! :p

Slick

Kristina
Ok, I need advice from people with (or who have had) snotty defiant teenage dogs (from this thread, seems like there is a few :rolleyes:)

When your dog expressly decides to ignore a command that he definitely knows well, what do you do?
I feel really bad because I have forced Leo into a down (by gently picking up his front paws and pushing down, not forcefully or violently) twice in the last few days because he refused to down and I didn't know what to do in response. I don't like acting like that. But I feel like if I just let it slide, he will learn that he can just refuse to down whenever he wants. I want him to know that down means down.

What do you do? Leo is my first bratty teenage dog (heck, my first dog) and I want to do what is right by him. He is awesome at his obedience when he feels like it, but lately he has taken to deciding when he wants to listen to me.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I just wanna love this because I know more people than I care to know who have rehomed a dog that didn't turn out to be compatible as a service dog.
Millie has had to retire due to age (at least the public stuff), and I hoped Fable would be able to take over. Oh hell no, she is not even close to service dog material. And I don't think any less of her for it. She's here to stay.

Members online

No members online now.