The dry vs. wet food debate

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
Does anyone have a link where it is proven that there are no extra health benefits over feeding one or the other? My BIL thinks that there are extra health benefits feeding dry rather then wet. Especially when it come to teeth.

I feed dry because I like the convenience of it, not because of its supposed ability to clean teeth.

By the way I have nothing against wet either. I usually feed it to Jack when we go on a trip because that is the only thing he'll eat when he isn't home.

Thanks!!!

I have no link for you, and though the action of chewing on something hard CAN help to take tartar off of teeth, in many cases the ingredients in the food, wet or dry, are likely to stay on the teeth. Stay away from foods high in sugar and corn and you're on the right track, again with dry or canned.

from what i understand feeding dry makes the dog have to drink much more water in order to digest the food...

Dry food takes longer to digest vs. moistened dry food supposedly.

I don't have any links, just the hearsay ;)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I don't have any links either, but from conversations here and at another forum, wet food is supposed to be the better choice- but really, who can afford to feed wet food exclusively. :yikes:

Zhucca

Lab Love
Wet food is the best option next to raw for cats.

Dogs don't need wet food, but its a good treat. Dry also does *not* clean teeth at all, that would be like saying eating cereal cleans *our* teeth. Lol. If you feed good quality kibble (meaning, no brands that can be found in a grocery store or walmart.) then wet food isn't necessary. Not worth 2-3 dollars a can when it's unnecessary imho.

mom2dogs

No links also, sorry.

For extra moisture, I will always ad canned and water to my dog's kibble, though... unfortunately I cannot afford to feed canned exclusively.

lucille

No links also, sorry.

For extra moisture, I will always ad canned and water to my dog's kibble, though... unfortunately I cannot afford to feed canned exclusively.
With a high quality food, you are actually saving money. With wet foods you are paying a premium for water and the food is not necessarily of any higher quality.

The only dog I have to feed wet food for currently is Lucy. And I buy her Innova wet at $1.75 a can, and one can lasts her about 3-4 meals. She won't touch dry food, she will ONLY eat wet. And I have started giving her raw on occasions, and I am reading more about it.

Harry will soon be getting wet as he is starting to have trouble chewing the kibble (Hes 12 1/2 years old) and I will be buying Kirkland Signature wet food (Which is 14$ for 24 cans..So not TOO bad). He will probably get one can a day (In two separate meals).

As for the cats, they have dry available all day, but are fed wet once a day. And I have had no issues with UTIs, or hairballs for that matter.

Maxy24

For dogs I don't really think there is a better one. Cats have a low thirst drive, after exercising a cat they usually don't go and drink a while bunch of water like a dog would. They just don't drink enough because they are designed to get most of their moisture from food.

mom2dogs

With a high quality food, you are actually saving money. With wet foods you are paying a premium for water and the food is not necessarily of any higher quality.
Call it buying water if you wish - at least it's easy to mix in and I know she will eat it all instead of having the kibble swim in water. Leaving all other benefits aside, canned is much more natural to a dog VS kibble. I will continue to add canned/water for convenience and to give me peace of mind, instead of worrying if my dog is drinking enough to compensate.

lucille

Call it buying water if you wish - at least it's easy to mix in and I know she will eat it all instead of having the kibble swim in water. Leaving all other benefits aside, canned is much more natural to a dog VS kibble. I will continue to add canned/water for convenience and to give me peace of mind, instead of worrying if my dog is drinking enough to compensate.
Peace of mind is important. And as a consumer you have the right to spend and make choices, no argument here from me.

I do it different but it works for me, and for my dogs. If at some point that should change I may make the same choices you are making now.

Members online

No members online now.