Fawn is a Hoover

I need some advice for dealing with Fawns garbage eating. She's now been with me almost 3 weeks, after being found starving at 11 weeks old. I think her brain is stuck in starvation mode, because, when we're outside, she eats everything. And I mean everything. Leaves, dirt, grass, acorns, you name it, it's in her mouth. I have to keep a constant watch on her because its almost at an obsession level.

She eats three times a day and is getting plenty of nutrition. We're working on a 'leave it', but she sees a leaf or stick and her mind vanishes.

She does not do this with things in the house, just outside.

It's so bad that I actually considered buying her one of those greyhound muzzles to keep her away from her 'snacks'.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Muzzle. It could well be a compulsion at this point, so breaking the habit completely will be hard without a form of management in place. It'll also allow you to avoid hovering as much, which in some dogs can make this sort of issue worse.

milos_mommy

Basket muzzle, and work a lot on her focus on you. If she's more interested in what you're doing and what commands you might give her, she'll be less interested in eating.

Mach1girl

I have 2 that eat EVERYTHING outside. No kidding. The acorn thing became SUCH an obsession that another dog of mine tried it, and it cost her her life (blockage). They eat acorns, sticks, leaves, rocks, dirt, ate half a hose the other day, and whatever else they can find. They are in competiton with each other. When they go out to potty this is what they do. When it is time to come in they are literally looking at each other grabbing and snatching mouthfuls of stuff to bring inside. They have been doing this for years, and I have never been able to "train" them otherwise!

Members online

No members online now.