Questions on getting puppy fixed

Bill A

Have a few questions on getting my puppy fixed,

He is a boy yorkie/poo is 3lbs now at 10 weeks old, expected to be aprox 6-9 lbs full grown, vet said i should get him fixed at the 16 week mark it would be a drop off in am pick up in afternoon (same day) thing.

Here are my questions, at 10 weeks now he is already humping everything, vet said thats just dominance not sexual issues, at what age does the humping switch and become sexual vs dominance related?

Second, what behavior will i see (changes etc) when he does mature (before and or after getting him fixed).

Third, the vet said price to fix him would be $125 and they use pain meds etc, is that about right price wise? That seemed high to me but had not called around to compare.

Fourth, he is in indoor only dog (trained on pads to go inside even) and we don't have any other dogs or pets beyond fish, do I have to have him fixed or will he freak out wanting to go mate as he gets older or something...

Fifth, Is there a time frame / window of when I can get him fixed say 4 months to ???? Can I get him fixed down the road at say 8 months vs 4 months etc etc.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on all this, due to an unexpected funeral and a large donation we made *(before the funeral came up) to help our daughters schoolmate's mom who has terminal cancer, the end result is money has suddenly become TIGHT, I want to do the right thing for him though, just might have to wait a few more weeks if possible and had those few questions above about the experience etc.

Bill :)

You can wait a few more weeks, Bill. You really will want to get him neutered early though. It will greatly reduce any chances of contracting some cancers later in life.

Neutering should cut back on the humping behaviour as well. It's usually a dominance behaviour except in the presence of a female in season, although some of the small dogs do seem to be more prone to humping for 'pleasure' :eek:

I'm not sure what the standard figure is for neutering a small dog as I've always had large dogs, and even then, except for Purdue and Bimmer, they were shelter rescues and the cost of neutering was included in the adoption fee. You can always call around your area or even check some of the veterinarian websites to check for fee standards.

bubbatd

Sounds like a normal fee. Didn't your library books help you in the time frame ? I hate to quote a whole chapter from " How to raise etc etc" ....pg. 159-161 in the 3rd edition.

Bill A

Still reading on the how to raise book, had not gotten that far yet but will be doing some index searching for these topics too..

Thanks

Bill :)

When we had our little yorkie girl fixed @ 5 months the cost was $200.00 so it sounds like your pricing is better. She still continues to hump everything @ 9 months old and we are guessing its because she just likes it... LOL

We were told to make sure she was fixed before her 1st heat cycle which could be anytime after she was 4 months old, I'm not sure about boys, both our yorkie boys were fixed before we got them.

avenlee

125.00 seems a reasonable price. Is she going to stay overnight? or are you taking her home same day?

Not that it matters, but if she is staying overnight then its definately a reasonable price.

My Westie was in heat, at 4-5 months I might add :rolleyes: , before she was spayed , :mad: lol and I had to pay extra because the procedure is more delicate/difficult to do. I can't remember what I paid exactly but it was near the 200.00 mark.

Saje

Island dweller
That's a reasonable price. You could probably find it cheaper but if you like and trust your vet it's really worth it.

showpug

Instead of worrying about the cost, focus more on if you trust and feel your dog is safe with your vet...

I would follow your vets recommendations for the neutering. The price seems very reasonable and going home "same day" is actually very common now. If there are no complications following surgery, dogs actually heal better at home where they are more comfortable and loved. :) Neutered dog are happier and healtier during their lifetime. Males that are left intact tend to develop urine marking in your house later in life...regardless if potty pads are present. They also have a drive to "meet the ladies" that can make them want to wander and somewhat restless at times. Testicular cancer is also very common and the risk is totally eliminated when the animal is neutered!! A neutered male makes a great family pet and if it is done while he is still young, he wont develop some of the annoying habits that intact males can posses.

As far as the humping goes, that could be dominance, behavioral, sexual or just play. Just don't let him do it to you :) He will probably outgrow it especially after he is neutered, but it wont be immediate. It takes a while for male hormones to filter out of the system after the surgery.

Good luck! :) :)

Neutering reduces the risk of certain cancers. It may also reduce or eliminate dominant behaviors (like humping). $125 is a pretty average price, but prices vary.

Members online