The Official "What are you reading" Thread

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
Right now, I am reading Perdido Street Station. Absolutely crazy book. Steampunk science fiction. Good imagery, cool creatures, interesting characters, and the overall plot has lots of twists (the good kind, not the unnecessary twists that occur for the sake of being a twist rather than advancing the plot).

I've been really into steampunk literature the past year or so. Half-Made World is another amazing book, about exactly what the title says, and a world where Agents of the Gun are gun-toting men and women that are agents of demons that possess the firearms they carry, seemingly 'protecting' the world from industrialization.

I also recently finished A Confederacy of Dunces, set in New Orleans. About a very fat, educated man that is basically disgusted with liberal society (not in a political sense, but more in a social sense; as an example, he despises women in make-up). It's absolutely hilarious. Highly suggested to anyone that likes books that aren't fantasy; I compare it to the humour found in A Spot of Bother, one of my favourite non-fantasy comedy books.

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
I wish they'd hurry up and release the trade paperback of ADWD. I really am against buying the huge hardback when I only own the small paperbacks. It'll throw off my bookshelf and then I'll have to look at it and it'll just continually irritate the hell out of me. :wall:

tzigane

Currently reading Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens and starting-stopping The Disappearing Spoon. Going to get back hardcore on Spoon once finals are over and I'm less brain-dead/have less need for mind-numbing feel-good humor.

Xandra

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Read the first Beautiful Creatures book, then watched the movie the other day. Anyone else read these? Saw the movie? I liked certain parts of the movie and disliked others. Some things were REALLY different but I found myself liking some changes better than the way it was in the book. About a quarter of the way done with the 2nd book. I don't like it as much so far but we'll see.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Read the first Beautiful Creatures book, then watched the movie the other day. Anyone else read these? Saw the movie? I liked certain parts of the movie and disliked others. Some things were REALLY different but I found myself liking some changes better than the way it was in the book. About a quarter of the way done with the 2nd book. I don't like it as much so far but we'll see.
I've wanted to, on both accounts. I don't expect much but I'm interested.

Right now I am reading The Passage, I'm loving it. :)

elegy

overdogged
Just finished Trident K9 Warriors by Mike Ritland about training military working dogs and found it extremely interesting.

I have been struggling for weeks to get through the poetry collection Blood, Tin, Straw by Sharon Olds. Blah.

Going to pick up First Test, an old Tamora Pierce fave, because I need a brain break. Love her stuff.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I've wanted to, on both accounts. I don't expect much but I'm interested.

Right now I am reading The Passage, I'm loving it. :)
I didn't expect much either and it's not the greatest book I've ever read, but I liked it! It's not one I think I'll read over and over like I do with some books, but then again I said that after I read The Hunger Games and I've read it like 5 times through the whole series and I'm DYING for the next movie. So who knows, I may get more into it as I get deeper into the series!

Just looked up The Passage and OMG I'm totally reading that now!

I also read the first Divergent book and it was okay! Gonna read the others at some point!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I didn't expect much either and it's not the greatest book I've ever read, but I liked it! It's not one I think I'll read over and over like I do with some books, but then again I said that after I read The Hunger Games and I've read it like 5 times through the whole series and I'm DYING for the next movie. So who knows, I may get more into it as I get deeper into the series!

Just looked up The Passage and OMG I'm totally reading that now!

I also read the first Divergent book and it was okay! Gonna read the others at some point!
I thought the same of the hunger games and yet I reread as well!

I haven't started the Divergent series but its on my list, I have a lot to read in the passage still but I'm loving it.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I've not seen the movie but I've read all the books except for the last one. It's a fun series but the main characters too whiny that drives me crazy.

BostonBanker

Good Omens is one of my all time favorite books.
Same here! I recently decided to start working my way through some of the other Pratchett and Gaiman books; I'm reading American Gods right now. I'm curious to see which author I like better, since Good Omens is the only thing I've read from either. The friend who got me hooked on Good Omens praises Pratchett more, but just flipping through their books, Gaiman's appealed to me more.

Right now I am reading The Passage, I'm loving it.
My friend got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I stared at it for weeks thinking "I'm not going to like this" before finally picking it up. I wound up digging through it far faster than I expected. I didn't realize it was a trilogy until recently; I think I'm going to have to re-read the first before I pick up the next. I remember certain scenes from it vividly, but not everything.

Of all the big teen series recently, I do think this is one of the best written and most interesting. Less "teen angst love triangle". I was really excited to read the second, but it downloaded funny to my Nook (pages were all out of order) and I got sick of trying to piece things together. I should just go pick up a copy of it now that I've been reminded.

crazedACD

Just read "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". It was pretty okay for reading fodder but it wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped.

Oh and yes Hunger Games...I've reread that series so many times. I wanted more than three books!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series for like the billionth time. :p
Currently on Chamber of Secrets.

After this... I will be re-reading the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series to prepare myself for the movies/new book. Yay!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I finally sat down and finished "The Bride Collector" by Ted Dekker. I liked it, ending was a little on the predictable side, but I find that in most "mass market" type novels these days.

I just started into Game of Thrones. I've been enjoying the HBO series and wanted to read through the books now. I have some vacation time coming up and like to have something I can sit on the deck and ready while I enjoy a big fat stogie :)

Members online