Switching back to kibble, which food?

Saeleofu

I've been very pleased with the Victor line of grain-free. If you can find it, it's an excellent choice. The ONLY kibble I'd prefer to feed over Victor is Orijen...but it's crazy expensive here, and when I did try a small bag Logan has diarrhea on it. He hasn't had loose stool with the Victor unless he gets into something else he shouldn't (like catching and eating starlings :rolleyes: ). I pay anywhere from $36-$45 for a 30 lb bag of Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato GF Victor. I get points every time I buy food and then I get discounts with points.

Would a pre-made or ground raw work for him? Pre-made from a store might be insanely expensive for a dog his size, but you could give it a shot, and if it works, invest in a meat grinder and grind your own pre-made raw for him. Or you could try something like Honest Kitchen or Sojos.

kady05

I've been very pleased with the Victor line of grain-free. If you can find it, it's an excellent choice. The ONLY kibble I'd prefer to feed over Victor is Orijen...but it's crazy expensive here, and when I did try a small bag Logan has diarrhea on it. He hasn't had loose stool with the Victor unless he gets into something else he shouldn't (like catching and eating starlings :rolleyes: ). I pay anywhere from $36-$45 for a 30 lb bag of Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato GF Victor. I get points every time I buy food and then I get discounts with points.

Would a pre-made or ground raw work for him? Pre-made from a store might be insanely expensive for a dog his size, but you could give it a shot, and if it works, invest in a meat grinder and grind your own pre-made raw for him. Or you could try something like Honest Kitchen or Sojos.
Victor was one I had seen also, but no one close to me sells it. There is one store that does but it's a 30mi. drive.. does anyone online sell it that you know of?

Either way, I decided on the Nutrisource as a tester. It's lower in protein than anything else I tried him on when he did eat kibble, so I'm interested to see how he does on it (since he has issues with loose stools on the higher protein kibbles). Plus I got it on doggiefood.com for $43 for a 30lb. bag & a bag of treats.. free shipping over $49 and 17% off if it's your first order. Yay.

Pre made or ground would probably work, as it seems to be the chewing part (his mouth/teeth have been checked, blood work is all completely normal, btw) that gets him all.. weird. You know how most dogs are all "FOOD! YAY!" when you're making their breakfast/dinner? Sako now runs and lays in the other room.. it's like he dreads eating. He DID eat bone in chicken this morning, so that was great. But I'm just done "fighting" with him over this, so we'll see what he does with the kibble and go from there.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
PureVita is still slightly under, the most expensive variety is just $60 I believe. Fromm is around $60 - between $55 and $65.
Lies, the bison PV GF id 62.99 and I know salmon is over $60 too :p

Hillside

Original Twin
Victor was one I had seen also, but no one close to me sells it. There is one store that does but it's a 30mi. drive.. does anyone online sell it that you know of?

Either way, I decided on the Nutrisource as a tester. It's lower in protein than anything else I tried him on when he did eat kibble, so I'm interested to see how he does on it (since he has issues with loose stools on the higher protein kibbles). Plus I got it on doggiefood.com for $43 for a 30lb. bag & a bag of treats.. free shipping over $49 and 17% off if it's your first order. Yay.

Pre made or ground would probably work, as it seems to be the chewing part (his mouth/teeth have been checked, blood work is all completely normal, btw) that gets him all.. weird. You know how most dogs are all "FOOD! YAY!" when you're making their breakfast/dinner? Sako now runs and lays in the other room.. it's like he dreads eating. He DID eat bone in chicken this morning, so that was great. But I'm just done "fighting" with him over this, so we'll see what he does with the kibble and go from there.

What I like about the Nutrisource and why I think it helps Nico's poo issues is the added pro/probiotics and the fact that it has a higher fiber level than most grain free foods, plus the fat and protein levels aren't super high. So far I'm extremely pleased with it. If I remember correctly, I don't believe the company has a recall, either.

kady05

What I like about the Nutrisource and why I think it helps Nico's poo issues is the added pro/probiotics and the fact that it has a higher fiber level than most grain free foods, plus the fat and protein levels aren't super high. So far I'm extremely pleased with it. If I remember correctly, I don't believe the company has a recall, either.
Yup, that's why I wanted to try it. We'll see how he does!

I didn't have the greatest results with Victor on my Greyhounds, but the place I get it from has American Bullies and most of the people who buy it own APBTS, ASTs and American Bullies and they seem to do really well on it.

http://www.rocketpetz.com/m-17-victor.aspx

This place just reduced their outrageous shipping prices and some formulas are free to ship.

http://www.victorpet.com/
Good to know, thank you!

tucksmom

Fromm Four Star is what has worked best for us. I have tried so many other premium dog foods and just don't think any of them compare. I stick with the grain free formulas. The largest bags are around 63 on chewy.com. There is also the Fromm Gold if you're watching money which is more around 50 a bag.

Members online