Fake service dogs

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That is atrocious behavior. I do not however believe behavior alone means a lack of valid need, it often means a lack of valid training. So "ill-trained" not "faked" is the issue. Lets rethink our labels, it will only benefit the cause.

Eh, for me it is definitely an issue if someone "fakes" their service dog, regardless of how well behaved they are. I dont think its ok for people to not like certain rules (like no dogs in a restaurant or grocery store) so they figure they are above them and do it anyways under false pretenses

Shakou

Eh, for me it is definitely an issue if someone "fakes" their service dog, regardless of how well behaved they are. I dont think its ok for people to not like certain rules (like no dogs in a restaurant or grocery store) so they figure they are above them and do it anyways under false pretenses
To me it's the equivilant of some asshole whipping into a handicap parking space without being handicapped.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
There are not a limited number of SDs allowed per store, though. That would be my counter argument.

While I don't encourage or support blatant lies I still believe the issue is far more the inconsistency in training. Most people who have SDs now would have been called fakers 10 years ago, I suppose that confuses me, I do believe adamant "this is my fake SD legally blonde hehehe dog" people are far fewer than many sell.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
as an aside: I am legally disabled, but do not use a SD for my disability because frankly Im not sure in what way one could be trained to help me, so while I dont necessarily have a dog in this fight, I do have a vested interest in ensuring disabled peoples are not discriminated against, and "fakers" are not the issue here

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Using a handicapped tag in your car if you aren't disabled is wrong. Faking an SD if you aren't disabled is wrong. Why is that so hard to understand? I do think well behaved dogs should be allowed more places, I think that may cut down on the number of fakers, but that doesn't mean people should break the law so that they can take their dog places. It's immoral and illegal.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Using a handicapped tag in your car if you aren't disabled is wrong. Faking an SD if you aren't disabled is wrong. Why is that so hard to understand? I do think well behaved dogs should be allowed more places, I think that may cut down on the number of fakers, but that doesn't mean people should break the law so that they can take their dog places. It's immoral and illegal.
And how are you to know who is illegal and who is not? Hmmmm? A dog seemingly misbehaving may be a trained SD. A dog seemingly doing nothing at all may be a trained SD.

There is no way for you to know who is legit and who isnt. Its not up to you anyway, so how does it affect you and why do you care?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Many of the reasons people use SDs today were previously considered a behavioral or personality issue and thus would be fakers. It's an interesting turn of validity.

Saeleofu

I think a lot of people (myself included, I'll admit) don't fully understand what SDs do and the need for them. (I'm NOT saying SDs aren't needed, just lack of experience with the whole thing )
Even when I was training my dog, I didn't realize how much he would actually help me. Now that he's working...I'm not entirely sure how I functioned without him.

And how are you to know who is illegal and who is not? Hmmmm? A dog seemingly misbehaving may be a trained SD. A dog seemingly doing nothing at all may be a trained SD.
Adog misbehaving should be kicked out. Period. EVEN IF A DOG IS A SERVICE DOG, if it's misbehaving, it can be kicked out, SHOULD be kicked out, and kicking them out is the right, legal thing to do. There are questions that can be asked of a service dog handler to determine whether the dog is an SD or not. If it comes down to going to court, YES, the handler does have to prove their disability and prove their dog is an SD (typically via training logs and behavior).

Also, allowing dogs everywhere becomes a health issue (in grocery stores, restaurants). Service dogs get a "pass" because they're considered "durable medical equipment" and are needed by their handler. Also, they're supposed to be impeccably groomed. if a service dog s dirty, that is a valid reason to kick them out. There are also people who are afraid of or allergic to dogs that have every right to go shopping. Again, service dogs are well-groomed, not in the store very long, well-behaved, and any good service dog handler will respect the space of someone who is allergic or afraid.

Contrary to what most people here seem to think, have a dog in public every day, every time you go somewhere isn't all sunshine and roses. It takes time to get the dog ready to go. People stop to ask questions. People try to pet your dog without asking. Children run up to your dog without asking and you have to body block to keep them away. People try to stuff food in your dog's face, step on feet and tails, hit them with shopping carts, drop things on them. Not to mention it is VERY stressful on the dog, and most dogs, temperamentally, cannot handle it and it's not kind or humane to make them try to handle it. Then you have the PETA/AR nuts that will try to steal/injure/kill your dog to free it from "slavery." Why anyone would want to deal with that hassle. every. single. time. they go somewhere without actually NEEDING the dog's assistance is beyond me.

Now, I do think that canine ESAs, though not task-trained, should be granted access under the same behavior stipulations as SDs. some states allow that already, but not all (federal law specifically prohibits it, but states are free to allow them under state law). I can understand that a dog just there can be helpful to some people with certain disabilities, and I also think most of these dogs would end up task trained in the end anyway.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
This pisses me off to no end.

Honestly? If a dog is wearing a photo ID or certain patches/vests, I would be willing to bet the dog is fake. Those who have real service dogs know that ID/certification is not required, and any certification you're going to find aside from with an actual program (and they really only certify their own dogs) is going to be a scam. Aside from that, behavior gives it away pretty quickly.
I'm just going to butt in and say that now, quite a few states have certification/identification options for SD handlers. I'm sure it also really helps if they are traveling as well.

Saeleofu

I'm just going to butt in and say that now, quite a few states have certification/identification options for SD handlers. I'm sure it also really helps if they are traveling as well.
No, they don't. Not in the US. SOME states/cities/counties will give out a service dog tag, but it is NOT required and is NOT valid for any purpose anywhere else, and as far as I've seen you don't have to prove anything to get said tag. It's just there for identification, like a rabies tag. It even looks like a rabies tag. It is NOT certification.

I don't see how having "certification" or "ID" would help ANYONE while traveling or doing anything else, since it's not required and places are not allowed to ask for it. The only time it needs proof for general access is if you're flying with a PSD, and then the airline/airport is allowed to ask for a doctor's note. Why? Because too make fakers ****ed it up by claiming their dog was a PSD.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
No, they don't. Not in the US. SOME states/cities/counties will give out a service dog tag, but it is NOT required and is NOT valid for any purpose anywhere else, and as far as I've seen you don't have to prove anything to get said tag. It's just there for identification, like a rabies tag. It even looks like a rabies tag. It is NOT certification.

I don't see how having "certification" or "ID" would help ANYONE while traveling or doing anything else, since it's not required and places are not allowed to ask for it. The only time it needs proof for general access is if you're flying with a PSD, and then the airline/airport is allowed to ask for a doctor's note. Why? Because too make fakers ****ed it up by claiming their dog was a PSD.
Wait, did I say it's required? Huh...

Also, in the US it's not required. Other places it is ;)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I actually really like this article.

I've decided I don't really care as long as the dog is well behaved, and not a threat to myself and my dog.

It's a lot less stress and trouble :p And I'm lazy.
And in turn it begins to train others around you to stop questioning the validity of ones need for their SD, questioning however the training which in fact is truly the issue at hand.

:D

Red Chrome

Not everyone that chooses to use some of the registration programs for SDs are "faking" it.

I know people that choose to use the certification places, because they provide little badges which prevents as many questions from being asked by stores.

People do fake them but not everyone that uses them does. I find that attitude offensive.

Members online