At a loss

Gypsydals

A friend of mine is wanting to switch her dane over to raw and shes having a terrible time of getting her girl to eat it. She has tried leaving it out so that its room temp, shes tried searing the outside of it and her dane will eat the seared part and leave the raw bits. Is there anything else she can try?

M

MyHorseMyRules

I dunno what she's tried feeding her, and organ meat is proabbly a bit too rich since she hasn't switched yet. But Raja would never eat liver unless I half-froze it. Might want to get other opinions first on whether or not that is okay or will even help your girl, but maybe you could try feeding whatever she is feeding half-frozen or something. Or Raja could just be weird. She loves chewing on ice cubes and stuff, so frozen treats make her do a happy dance.

xpaeanx

I'm sure someone more expierenced with picky dogs will come along soon. My only suggestion would be if the dog will eat cooked meat, then first get her going on that, and then slowly cook it less and less until the dog is eating raw meat.

Maxy24

She should start by just getting the dog used to the taste of small chunks of meat. If the dog will not take them then have her toss them in with his old food when it's dinner time. Once he'll eat just the chunks then start introducing larger pieces and then ones with bones, then organs etc.
Also some dogs don't like certain sources, if he does not like one type try another.

BostonBanker

I had to get Meg started by feeding her along with several other dogs eating raw. I don't know if it was the competition (not that we let them take each others or anything, but the having other dogs around) or that she got to see them eating it, but that's what convinced her it really was food.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Some hints:

Have a HUNGRY DOG. If I had a dog doing this, I would fast the dog for a minimum of 24 hours before offering it food.

Mix the raw mince with hot rice

Use spices. Salt and garlic powder are 2 favorites

If 24 hours did not work, I would fast the dog 24 more hours and then offer it food. A properly hungry dog will eat what is presented to it.

;)

I suggest against the salt. Dogs don't need salt in their diets. If she MUST make this switch then I suggest gradually changing the food. However it seems like the pooch just doesn't want it, so why do it? Forcing this diet on the dog only makes it seem like she wants to make the change to make herself feel better, in other words indulging herself at the expense of her dog. I know that sounds callous, but if she is feeding a good quality diet and there has been no noticed health problems then why even change?

Members online

No members online now.