Worms!?

avenlee

What are the symptoms of worms? My Sadie has been such a chow hound. She can never get enough food, I mean way over and above of how she normally behaves. She is fussing and licking her butt quite a bit also (I know, its even hard for me to type it without cringing). Anyway, my hubby gave her a shave haircut about a month ago and I thought she was just irritated by the fur growing back. But that along with the all-of-a-sudden appitite, I'm really worried.

I've already made an appoint with the vet for next Friday for their yearly check-up and shots. I will definately bring it up to the vet. Just was curious if anyone has ideas.

Thanks all in advance

bubbatd

Take a sample of her stool too. Yearly vet checks should be for stools also.

avenlee

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'll do that. My vet actually will accept stool samples and test without an appointment. I'll bring one in on Monday to have the results by our Fri. appointment. I've never had to deal with worms with any of my dogs and other than the increased appitite, she's her normal self.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Sometimes if you know what to look for you can tell yourself by looking at stool. Its pretty gross but you know they definatly have it when you see little white stringy things in the dogs feces nasty i know.

bubbatd

There are so many types of worms....if you see them, they're loaded ! Tape worms aren't usually seen in the stools ....if you see what looks like a piece of dried rice on their butts, it's usally segments of a large tape worm. Ugh!!! Supper WAS ready !!!

Chili had a tapeworm when she was younger. I saw the little "dried rice" pieces in her stool quite a bit and on her butt. I think she just took some type of medication and it was gone! Not to difficult to treat.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Yeah when i got Pheonix whom I bought from a friend of the family he was "loaded" it wasent a very pleasent experience at all poor boy :/

Debi

I had a little Cairn years ago that had a tapeworm. That was the first thing I noticed...WOW, that little guy ate like a horse...yet never gained weight. I then noticed little rice size worms....MOVING in his stool. I was grateful he had an accident inside, or I may have missed it. Grossed me out to the max!!!! I ran to the vet (I couldn't understand cause I had wormed him) and he was given one pill which killed the tapeworm immediately. This little guy had been born outside and had fleas when I got him....they are the big carrier of tapeworm. Thankfully, it is easy to treat.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
types of worms
hooks .smptom, lethargic, paleness of gums, lack of luster smallish worm with a hook at
the end..not obvious like round worms, can take a puppy down quickly.larvae
found in the dew of the grass.
rounds, most puppies have them if their Mother was not treated before she was breed
distended belly, found in stool, long, speghetti looking often in a mass, carried
by fleas puppy usually has a lack luster look
tapes....segemented has the apperance of rice, often found around the rectum or
or where the animal has been sleeping.. increased hunger
heart.....not found in stool, bloated body and thin limbs, lathargic, carried by the
mosquito. dtected by blood sample fatal if not treated
Those are the basic ones..and the basic signs and symptoms from what I can
remember

Last edited:

avenlee

Ok, seems Sadie doesn't have any of these symptoms. Maybe she's just become a porker LOL. Tony got a kick out of me inspecting her poop in the snow last night though.

I'm still going to bring in a sample on Monday to be on the safe side.

Thanks all for your replies

Debi

Avenlee.....that's so true...it just may be a growth spurt and that brings a bigger appetite! Around here, the cold days brings on a HUGE appetite....then, when it warms up just a bit...they hardly eat much at all. For awhile Addie was eating like it was her last meal, and I started to get concerned. She's back to eating normal now (after putting on a bit of weight that we have to run off)

I laughed when you said you were examining her poop....people I know that don't have pets just don't understand that one!!!!! lol Sadie has a great mom. :D

Members online

No members online now.