"Free To Good Home" Don't Do It!

Why "Free To Good Home" Ads Are A Bad Idea!

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/free.html

What Could Happen To An Animal From A "Free To Good Home" Ad?

*Tortured or killed by animal abusers
*Sold to research labs for experiments
*Used as bait for fighting dogs
*Victims of neglect

What Is A "Buncher?"

A buncher either steals or "adopts" companion animals for the purpose of selling the animal. Bunchers can sell animals for one or more of the following reasons:

To be used in research labs
To be used as bait, for example, to train dogs in fighting rings
To be used as breeding stock in puppy mills or catteries

"Bunchers" can be very deceptive and they prey on people who place "free to good home" ads. They will sometimes use children as part of the ploy and present themselves as a "perfect" family. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Please Read:

The Tragedy of "Free To Good Home"

http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm

Why not "Free To Good Home"?

People value what they pay for. Pets obtained for free are are less likely to be spayed or neutered by their new owners (why bother with vet bills?), and more likely to be abused and/or discarded, because "there are plenty more where that came from!"

hollybea

i see nothing wrong with free to good home provided all the right home checks are done.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I agree that unless you do the correct screening, that you shouldn't just "give" your dog away, but I don't agree with the following:

People value what they pay for. Pets obtained for free are are less likely to be spayed or neutered by their new owners (why bother with vet bills?), and more likely to be abused and/or discarded, because "there are plenty more where that came from!"

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
I also agree that it is fine as long as all checks are done. Five of my dogs were free, (well, 2 were given to me, so I dont know if that counts), and I definatly dont love them any less then Dakota, who we paid for!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I also agree that it is fine as long as all checks are done. Five of my dogs were free, (well, 2 were given to me, so I dont know if that counts), and I definatly dont love them any less then Dakota, who we paid for!

I agree. We were given our past dog, Princess, and we loved her no less than our other dogs....

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider was free. My roomate was going to dump her in a kill shelter since 'all dogs get adopted' in her mind. Her origin really doesn't matter. I spend more on classes than anyone I know in real life. And try my hardest to be the best pet parent possible.

While the OP's sentiments can happen, they should be saved to warn skeazy people giving their dogs away on kijii or hoobly.. not on a forum where everyone is pretty informed.

skyeboxer

I don't think the OP was preaching to the converted there, just sharing an article she found interesting. I'd certainly see a situation where I'd take in a free-to-a-good-home pupper but I would NEVER consider advertising dogs that way. AS, I'm sure nobody else here would, either.

There was a post on here recently about a cracking looking dog, sounded like he had a good temperament and he was being sold for $100 or so. A couple of people protested that if the owner really was looking for a good home they should give the dog away for free. My point then and now was that by charging a certain amount the owner would at least increase the chances that the dog was going to a caring home. (Unsaid in that post was that by charging an amount, the dog would have less chance of falling into the hands of 'bunchers'.)

All of you were reading from YOUR perspective as receivers of free dogs. The article is for those who contemplate GIVING the dog away. We are the educated group who knows home checks should be done.

Much of what I may post is really to benefit those who come here to read this forum and have little or no education. People are more apt to read forums than they are researching articles like this anywhere else. So why not use the forum as an educational tool for everyone, not just ourselves.

Why "Free To Good Home" Ads Are A Bad Idea!

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/free.html

What Could Happen To An Animal From A "Free To Good Home" Ad?

*Tortured or killed by animal abusers
*Sold to research labs for experiments
*Used as bait for fighting dogs
*Victims of neglect

What Is A "Buncher?"

A buncher either steals or "adopts" companion animals for the purpose of selling the animal. Bunchers can sell animals for one or more of the following reasons:

To be used in research labs
To be used as bait, for example, to train dogs in fighting rings
To be used as breeding stock in puppy mills or catteries

"Bunchers" can be very deceptive and they prey on people who place "free to good home" ads. They will sometimes use children as part of the ploy and present themselves as a "perfect" family. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Please Read:

The Tragedy of "Free To Good Home"

http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm

Completely agree! I would NEVER ever advertize and animal as free to good home. I have, on occasion, dropped the fee in the end but only for a good reason or if things work out a certain way.

That is great that you posted that thread here for all the people who have considered advertizing their pets as free to a good home in the past or are going to in the future. At least don't advertize that way. I have taken in almost all my pets for free and the one's I rehome but I know I will care for the animals forever or in the case of rehoming, I know I will find great homes for them.

I am sure there are some members here who might give their pet away, but it is great for all the lurkers who don't know better!

Thanks!

Members online