IF a middle school councilor

Romy

Taxiderpy
Know better than to do what, exactly? New scenario: Female counselor puts her hand on boy's knee to console him because he's sad. Creepy, or motherly?
This wasn't a consoling touch though. It's the opposite of consoling, design to throw a kid off balance, make them uncomfortable and hopefully disarm them.

It was a familiar touch combined with a reprimand. If a female counselor put her hand on my child's knee, leaned in close to their face and started in on them, I'd be up in their face making them back off. That's just, eww. That goes for whether my child is male or female. It doesn't really have to do with gender/molestation in this case, it has to do with what is and isn't professional. And it's not professional.

The part where it gets into zomgpedofile!!!!11 is the part where the male counselor is using crappy judgement and putting himself in a situation to be accused. Which is really stupid on his part.

I know I would've felt uncomfortable. I've never had a father figure around me, so I'm a little skiddish around older males(that aren't related), and that with the combo of watchingL&O SVU...yeah, I would've definitely felt weird. Being the age that I am now, I also would've gotten up immediately and said something to him.
But Hyia is a little girl(actually, she's growing up too fast!)...I can't speak for all kids, but I know that at her age, I probably wouldn't have said anything to the counselor himself.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
You have completely, absolutely missed my point, because no I didn't equate those things AT ALL. Which was that one statement/conclusion was just as ridiculous to draw from one's opinion on knee-touching as the other.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where twelve year old children were always confident enough to stand up to people in authority over them. This is getting perilously close to "blame the victim" mentality for my tastes. (ETA: And NO, before someone projects this on me too, I'm not saying that the child in the OP was a "victim"... I'm using it as a general term for the general situation I'm quoting.)
For me to be blaming the victim, I must see a victim. I feel terr is no victim, so in that case, no, I am not.

And are you kidding me? 12 year olds are middle school kids (grade 8 here). They are at that age where they are all about standing up to authority.

For me to be blaming the victim, I must see a victim. I feel terr is no victim, so in that case, no, I am not.
Well glad you read that edit clarifying my statement. :rolleyes: Again, not saying this girl is a victim. I was speaking to a type of mindset.

And are you kidding me? 12 year olds are middle school kids (grade 8 here). They are at that age where they are all about standing up to authority.
They are all about talking a talk of standing up to authority. I'd wager most, in a private situation, would not actually stand up for themselves or say anything. Heck, most adults wouldn't.

This is not a "normal" 12 year old under "normal" circumstances. And even if she were, not all 12 year olds -- or even 16 year olds for that matter -- are self-assured enough to be the adult in a scenario like that.

The burden of being the professional adult lies with the professional adult.

Romy

Taxiderpy
In ANY situation, even if one person "should know better", if a child is uncomfortable, they should say it. It is the job of tw adult figure to teach said child to state when she is uncomfortable the FIRST time it happens.
It's also the job of the caregiving adults to step in and shield their CHILDREN from situations they aren't emotionally developed enough to handle yet.

Oh yeah. I forgot, your parents taught you everything you need to know to be an autonomous adult by age 7. :rolleyes:

Smkie did a wonderful job stepping in for Hyia, because she is an amazing parent who gives a ****.

ETA: Children are conditioned specifically to trust and obey adults in authority positions (like the councilor) regardless of how uncomfortable it makes them feel. It's a pretty huge stretch to assume that a 12 year old will have the maturity to recognize that this person in authority is doing something inappropriate and call them out on it as it's happening.

Maybe if it was a stranger, but not someone they're used to obeying. That's why child molesters are generally someone the kids know well and it's not usually a total stranger. The kids are less likely to call a familiar authority figure out. (NOT saying this guy is a molester, just that's how the dynamic works as far as speaking out against an adult's behavior).

S

SevenSins

You have completely, absolutely missed my point, because no I didn't equate those things AT ALL. Which was that one statement was just as ridiculous as the other.
No, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss the point.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where twelve year old children were always confident enough to stand up to people in authority over them. This is getting perilously close to "blame the victim" mentality for my tastes.
WHAT "victim!?" There is no VICTIM here, FFS.

You know what? Seriously, it's people like you and some others in this thread that make me, as a man, feel like parents are looking at me like I'm a creeper if I so much as glance over at some kids playing on the school playground while I'm sitting at the park with my dog.

The part where it gets into zomgpedofile!!!!11 is the part where the male counselor is using crappy judgement and putting himself in a situation to be accused. Which is really stupid on his part.
Apparently being born with outdoor plumbing put him in enough of a situation to be accused, because...

This wasn't a consoling touch though. It's the opposite of consoling, design to throw a kid off balance, make them uncomfortable and hopefully disarm them.
"That's different." No, it wasn't consoling, but it IS normal human body language to touch another person while confronting them.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
AHMEN Romy and Renee , I think they just dont know because they haven't been around to know the back story.

EDIT:: Seven , i do see how you could feel that away , and I get why you are arguing the point , but it is just the way the world turns now a days .

For the record though I WATCH , like BIRD DOG WATCH anyone at a playground that does not have kids.

Now in a regular park then yeah they dont get the staring treatment , but just hanging around a playground around kids , yeah creepy also.

Hate to be this way , but it is just the way it is.

S

SevenSins

This is not a "normal" 12 year old under "normal" circumstances.
If this is not a "normal" 12 year old then the OP failed to disclose details about THIS particular 12 year old that some of us wouldn't know, and how were these not "normal" circumstances aside from the fact that apparently, said 12 year old was being confronted by a school counselor for allegedly lying?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well glad you read that edit clarifying my statement. :rolleyes: Again, not saying this girl is a victim. I was speaking to a type of mindset.

They are all about talking a talk of standing up to authority. I'd wager most, in a private situation, would not actually stand up for themselves or say anything. Heck, most adults wouldn't.
Yah.. The edit must have come up wheni hit the quote button, and I didn't bother retreading the quoted part. Sorry, I'm at work and on my iPod so it doesn't always refresh like a computer would ;)

A type of mindset when there is no victim, yes. Mindsets do change with different situations. Plus, I wasn't really blaming the kid, not her fault she was t taught to speak up. I disk even say it would have stopped, I say it may have been (or cLuke have been or something like that).

We've obviously grown up in very different areas -- kids i was in school with had no issue standing up to the authorities or whatever.

No, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss the point.
Why don't you restate it back to me, then? Just to see what you think it is.

WHAT "victim!?" There is no VICTIM here, FFS.
Whoops, my edit wasn't fast enough. But sorely needed, I see. :rolleyes:

You know what? Seriously, it's people like you and some others in this thread that make me, as a man, feel like parents are looking at me like I'm a creeper if I so much as glance over at some kids playing on the school playground while I'm sitting at the park with my dog.
Are you seriously equating glancing at some kids in public with putting your hands on a kid's knee in a private meeting? :/

Romy

Taxiderpy
"That's different." No, it wasn't consoling, but it IS normal human body language to touch another person while confronting them.
That's weird, I wonder if it's like people have suggested here where it's a gender difference or if it's a regional difference.

I have never seen someone lay hands on another person in a confrontation unless it was going to escalate into a full out altercation. Ever. That in my mind makes it totally unprofessional for a school official to do to a student.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It's also the job of the caregiving adults to step in and shield their CHILDREN from situations they aren't emotionally developed enough to handle yet.

Oh yeah. I forgot, your parents taught you everything you need to know to be an autonomous adult by age 7. :rolleyes:

Smkie did a wonderful job stepping in for Hyia, because she is an amazing parent who gives a ****.

ETA: Children are conditioned specifically to trust and obey adults in authority positions (like the councilor) regardless of how uncomfortable it makes them feel. It's a pretty huge stretch to assume that a 12 year old will have the maturity to recognize that this person in authority is doing something inappropriate and call them out on it as it's happening.

Maybe if it was a stranger, but not someone they're used to obeying. That's why child molesters are generally someone the kids know well and it's not usually a total stranger. The kids are less likely to call a familiar authority figure out. (NOT saying this guy is a molester, just that's how the dynamic works as far as speaking out against an adult's behavior).
By 12 years old, you can be **** sure I was taught to speak up when I'm uncomfortable! That's one of the things you learn early on. How is somebody supposed to know you are not comfortable with something, if you dont say it?

S

SevenSins

Are you seriously equating glancing at some kids in public with putting your hands on a kid's knee in a private meeting? :/
Yes, I am, because to some of you, so much as looking at a kid for "too long" directly equates to touching (where all context, again, is apparently equal), which directly equates to creepy and/or sexual behavior.

By 12 years old, you can be **** sure I was taught to speak up when I'm uncomfortable! That's one of the things you learn early on. How is somebody supposed to know you are not comfortable with something, if you dont say it?
Maybe a trained counselor -- with some psychology background -- should have a bit of sense of that?

Or be in another profession where a basic understanding of behavioral clues isn't an issue?

Yes, I am, because to some of you, so much as looking at a kid for "too long" directly equates to touching (where all context, again, is apparently equal), which directly equates to creepy and/or sexual behavior.
You are sorely misinterpreting things people are saying. And along those lines, you didn't answer my question about restating my point?

Romy

Taxiderpy
When did anybody say that? :confused:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I think what's sad and creepy is the fact that a person can't put their hand on someone without being called a ****ing creep and thought capable of molesting children.

Why does everything have to be so sterile all the time? a hand on a knee can mean a thousand different things, humans use contact and body language too, it's not just for dogs.

Hand on the knee and direct eye contact up close can make someone feel uncomfortable, especially if they're trying to get away with something and you press them on it. It could be totally appropriate to do that depending on the situation, because it's much harder for someone to lie in that situation. or at least lie and get away with it.

Comparing to a business meeting? people touch each other all the time in business meetings, some people hug, some people kiss, some pat on backs, some sit stone faced across a table.

Sure, if you felt that strongly about it, report it. But not everyone is a molester or a creep, or inappropriate because they touch someone. In fact it's pretty normal to do so.
this.

What a frustrating view on society.

Would I be uncomfortable? Maybe. It would have to be by the case. At 12 I was easily taken advantage of, I wasn't a confident, strong, knowing child.

I still find it unsettling how drastically sterile we're becoming as a society and this is coming from someone who hates to be touched by most everyone in most every situation, but I'm F.I.N.E. ;)

Members online