Blue Power Ear Treatment?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Bella has ear issues; she has had them since I brought her home. And we assume it's because of her flopped ears.

We've taken her to the vet for it, several times, and the vet just kept giving us this expensive prescription insistent that it would help, even after it didn't the first time. After that they recommended a thing that literally made Bella SCREAM. It stung, or must of, and Bella would flip when it was in her ears. After that I found a better product on their shelves, but it was only a cleaner, not anything to help with whatever the route problem is.

Anyway, surfing the net I came across this Blue Power ear treatment thing (Frodo's pictures, actually!), googled it some, and I am thinking about giving it a shot. Any one know anything about it?

Here's a little write up I found:

Blue Power Ear Treatment

INGREDIENTS
16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. If you can only find 2% gentian violet, use 8 drops. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to dispense solution to affected ears. You can also use an ear syringe, which should be available at your pharmacy. When I went to buy the ingredients, the boric acid powder and gentian violet were not out on the shelf, but when I asked the pharmacist he had both of them in stock in the back. If they don't have gentian violet, they should be able to order it for you.

TREATMENT

Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days. Simply flush out the ear with the solution until then.

Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which can be wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics (and practically everything else, as I found out).

SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT

Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears
Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)

All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.

Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy. If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week.

They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.
Thoughts and opinions?

darkchild16

We are Home.
It worked for Patches when she would get some stinky ears :) we also do it usually after we go to the beach with them. We also just put it from a 20 oz coke bottle on to a cotton ball and hold the cotton ball in there. It works alot easier then squirting.

do NOT mix it in a white sink!!! The genetian violet WILL stain.

We got all our supplies at the grocery store and its pharmacy. They were cheap too. ANd the stuff lasts FOREVER.

MicksMom

You can buy it ready made now, too. I got some at a local pet supply store a couple of years ago. As soon as I find it, I'll post the link.

MicksMom

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I use it regularly. When I got Uncle Fred his ears were just as infected as the rest of him. The antibiotic drops from the vet just seemed to make him worse. His poor ears would bleed when I went to treat them, and the tortured look in his eyes is something I do not want to see again.
The UKC coonhound board people advised me to try the blue power wash. i was really dubious about putting alcohol on those poor sore ears. Within a week he was much better. And he has never had another problem. Now every time either hound's ears get wet, I use the same stuff but minus the gentian violet. No staining and it works fine for maintenence.

So they get it every time they get a bath or go swimming, or play in the hose. They have beautiful clean ears that smell good.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I use it and LOVE it!
Frodo however, does not, lol. But it clears his ears up faster than anything the vet has ever given me.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I am thinking we'll have to give it a shot. So it's FOR healing infections? Bella's ears are REALLY bad right now, so she needs somethin'. I just don't want to pay for meds from the vet that aren't going to help, yet again.

Dekka

Just try me..
Mafia used it on Cider's ears. She took her to the vet for an ear infection, as soon as the antibiotics were done Cider was in pain again. Another trip to the vet, more antibiotics, soon as they were done more pain. She got fed up and made up her own blue power ear wash. Worked fantastically well.

Shouldn't be pricey in the slightest to buy the ingredients for. It also makes an awful lot of it. She still has half a rubbing alcohol bottle full, and so much gentian violet left over that she could make some for nearly every dog person she knows.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
I would love to know more about this We spend A LOT of money taking Brownie back & forth to the vet He get's Ear infections so easily.
He just got over a inner ear infection. He get's yeast infections also Pretty often, So if he even goes near water i squirt his ears with the drying wash they gave us.
The vet knows us now really well We walk in and they say What for Brownie ears now.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
It does make a ton. I ended up sending some to Nolu to use for Middie.

The most expensive part is the gentian violet (and the hardest to find around here!). I've never even done the treatment as it says to in the pdf file, I usually give it for 2 days in a row and it's completely gone. Love that stuff.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Holy crud, some of this stuff is hard to find! Mom had to have them order some stuff for her because we could find it NO WHERES! Looked all over with no luck. So as soon as it comes in we will start the treatment. Really hoping it helps her, other wise, to the vet again for those nasty drops that don't do any good.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Holy crud, some of this stuff is hard to find! Mom had to have them order some stuff for her because we could find it NO WHERES! Looked all over with no luck. So as soon as it comes in we will start the treatment. Really hoping it helps her, other wise, to the vet again for those nasty drops that don't do any good.
What is she having an issue finding? Of the three ingredients the only one that seems to give anybody trouble is the gentian violet, which can usually be found at most pharmacy stores (tends to show up less in the big box stores it seems).

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Really I went to Shopper's Drug Mart. Boric Acid was behind the counter and I had to ask for it. Gentian Violet had to be ordered but it was no issue and in the next day.

filarotten

Fila the love
I'm going to try this on Brutus. He has another yeast infection in his ears. I bought all three ingredients at a small pharmacy. I hope it works.

Members online

No members online now.