Training a Cat to like dogs?

First off is it even possible?

I have 4 cats, 2 that I really want to train to work with Duke. They are barn cats and where strays, so they have learned to not like big dogs. The two I want to train however do like little dogs.

Any ideas of how to go about this or do you need more info?

Maxy24

I don't think you can make them LIKE dogs, you can probably get them to tolerate them though. Do the cats ever attempt to interact with the dogs? How long have they been living with the dogs? If one ever tries to sniff at the dog, give him a treat. That will make them have a more positive outlook on the dog. A little more info will help, do they live OK together or does the cat avoid the dog at all costs?

Like was the wrong word to use, I did mean tolerate.

The cats don't really try to interact with the dogs anymore. They grew up around my older GSD who hates cats and so have decided anything over 20lbs is to big.

All my cats have been living with dogs since they where little blue eyed kittens. The two I want to use with Duke do fine with dogs so long as there is a fence or the dog is not to close. If the dog is about 2 feet away or so they get deffensive, but don't run.

I'm not sure what else to say about them really. They are both males, one is almost like a dog and the other is an out going cat. They both will play with our doxie.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Sometimes they become friends over time and sometimes they just learn to tolerate each other. My cat mojo loves Tosca. My cat Roni doesn't mind her but he's not with her a lot. Mojo is with her alot. My late mother's cat who lives with me and is 18 would prefer if Tosca would just leave her alone. Fortunately Tosca does that. My kitten Snack is doing great with her. So they are all a bit different.

Members online

No members online now.