Do you like to fly in airplanes?

Do you like to fly in airplanes?

• Yes- I love it! I'd live in an airport and fly every day if I could!

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Yes- I love the whole airport/airplane experience and look forward to it!

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Yes- I don't "love" the experience but I look forward to it

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Flying is okay- I don't mind being on a plane, but I'm not a fan of airports

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • I can only fly when I take medication and really prepare myself

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don't like flying, but I'll get on a plane to travel to places where it is necessary

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I don't like flying and refuse to get on an airplane

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I've never been on an airplane before

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Single serving of pretzels and a mini bottle of overpriced liquor

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
About 50% of the air in an airplane is recirculated air. It's filtered through HEPA filters though so it's really not as bad as "recirculated air" sounds.

BUT you're in close contact with a lot of people, some of whom are carrying germs from different locations. Stuff you've not been exposed to so you don't have a resistance to it. I always picture it kind of like if you were stuck in a really big elevator for a few hours LOL.

I don't think it's too much different than, say, taking a train somewhere for a few hours though. I will say I kind of like flying in the little puddle jumpers where the cabin layout is two seats, aisle, then a single seat... I like to snag a single seat so I'm not sitting next to anybody!

iwantmypup

Me too. I hate the recycled air of planes... it really grosses me out. I get sick pretty easily so I always have my Purell as well!

I always sit by the window and try not to think about how I'm crammed into a small area with tons of dirty and possibly sick people :yikes:
Yesssss, exactly! The best for me is when I get window seat and there's nobody next to me, only on the aisle. SCORE!

Catsi

I quite enjoy flying. In fact, I'd almost say I loved flying, although I don't do it often because, mostly, I cannot justify the cost. I've flown twice in my life.

Last year, my sister and I were due to fly from Brisbane to Sydney (cheaper domestic flights and too far to drive considering the time we were staying.) The ash cloud from the Chilean volcanic eruption grounded all the flights on the eastern seaboard. My first flight in ten years. :p Funny. We ended up catching a bus (!) because we didn't want to miss our holiday. It took us 16 hours... I was ever so grateful for the return flight home.

I actually don't even mind all the airport stuff, but like I say I've only done it twice!

At the end of this month I'm flying from my home town to Brisbane which is a really short flight - under an hour. Normally I'd drive or catch a train but I'm only going for the weekend and I really wanted to maximise my time visiting my sister. I managed to get some relatively cheap flights. It'll be a really small plane, so that will be interesting!

Gosh, I'm all excited just talking about it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I can't explain the fear of flying either and I have the fear. My fear only developed after I had Hannah. I've flown many times in my life and never had a problem but my first flight after having a baby was terrifying. I just can't do it anymore.

Of course... I have witnessed a plane crash so I'm sure that doesn't help my fear LOL. Not a passenger plane but a plane non the less. I still have nightmares about it and it was about 12 years ago that happened. But even immediately after that I still didn't fear flying. something changed in my body after having a baby and now it's just one of those things I can't handle. I regularly have nightmares about flying.... and tornadoes lol.

But we really enjoy road trips so it works out. YES it takes us 16 hours of driving to get to Disney but it's always a fun filled 16 hours rather than the stressful 8 hours of getting up and getting to the airport early and dealing with the nonsense of that and then waiting around until your flight and so on and so forth until you finally get to your destination lol so not only do I have a fear of flying but it's also not worth the hassle.

CaliTerp07

I love flying. I like the hustle and bustle and people watching of the airports. I enjoy the air of excitement in the international terminals. I like exploring new airports on layovers. I enjoy being waited on on the plane, watching movies on flights, and having forced relaxation time to take a nap or read a book or watch a movie.

I don't find them all that inefficient, but maybe that's because I fly enough that I know the drill. I pick flights at the right time of day, and go out of certain airlines and certain airports where I know the terminals are more relaxed. An hour early is plenty (in my little Santa Barbara airport, 20 minutes early is plenty!)

I usually fly across the country 2ish times a year, internationally once, and a short trip somewhere else once or twice. I would be so sad if I couldn't fly anymore--there are so many cool places I want to go to (or go back to) that just aren't easily accessible by car or boat. Nevermind that flying is usually cheaper (and soooooo much faster) than driving any sizable distance if you plan right.

I wouldn't fly just to fly, but it's definitely not a negative of traveling for me.

Locke

THIS.
Also, I haaaaaate flying over water, that's when I'm panicky, which sucks considering I go to Alaska once a year :( I don't know how I'll be when flying to Europe :lol-sign:
I feel best flying over water because (in my fear-warped mind) if we were to crash, it wouldn't be as bad an impact as the hard ground and perhaps give us a higher chance of survival (aside from the whole drowning possibility)....

I always sit by the window and try not to think about how I'm crammed into a small area with tons of dirty and possibly sick people :yikes:
Meanwhile, they're thinking the same thing about you. ;)

I don't find them all that inefficient, but maybe that's because I fly enough that I know the drill. I pick flights at the right time of day, and go out of certain airlines and certain airports where I know the terminals are more relaxed.
Me, too. I fly at least 3-4 times a year for several years and have just gotten to know the routine. I consider the start of my vacation to be as soon as I walk through the airport doors. The lines and such just don't bother me... because I have no other responsibility other than waiting in line right then. I don't know how else to explain it. :D

elegy

overdogged
I like the airplane part. Airlines make me mental. The security stuff makes me mental.

Bailey08

Flying itself has never bothered me -- my dad was a pilot, which I think made a difference. (That said, my brother hates it, so I guess that didn't help him!)

I do think that the whole process tends to be draining. I feel like I'm almost always sleep deprived for one reason or another while traveling (and can't sleep in public), which can be tough. And there are sometimes where I just get antsy and we're not there yet!

But, generally speaking, I'm pretty ambivalent. It is what it is. I try not to get frustrated or upset about all of the annoyances because then you are screwed, lol.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I love flying. Seriously, sitting on a chair... IN THE SKY. However, I hate airports. So it's a tradeoff. I'd love to fly in some smaller private craft some day.

Seeing as my dad works for an airlines, I don't have any close family, and I am in a LDR (which is about to get a LOT longer after we get married)... I don't have much of a choice but to like flying. Started at a very young age (like 6 months) and in the past 4 years I have flown upwards of 100 times or so....

The whole airport thing..... not a fan of. I would rather walk 10 miles off track then be crammed onto one of those stupid airport transit systems like a herd of cattle. Having to go through the worlds busiest airport (ATL) EVERY time I fly (it's where I live unfortunately), is a real hassle. I get there early and walk the whole way and avoid the crowds as best I can.

jenv101

Bite Club
I don't enjoy the lineups and such at the airport. But flying itself I really enjoy. Especially on a nice sunny day I love being above the clouds- its so relaxing. Or looking down at the earth and seeing all of the patterns. I just wish they could find a way to make the planes less stale and dry.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I love flying. The plane, airports, everything. I'm the one who always wants a window seat, too. The view is spectacular. I'm not a fan of flying over water, but that's because looking out the window over the ocean is sooo boring: "Oh look! It's water.....again." I'd take airplanes everywhere if I could.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I love flying. The plane, airports, everything. I'm the one who always wants a window seat, too. The view is spectacular. I'm not a fan of flying over water, but that's because looking out the window over the ocean is sooo boring: "Oh look! It's water.....again." I'd take airplanes everywhere if I could.
One of my old bosses lived in a pretty wealthy area on the waterfront. Their next door neighbor worked on Bainbridge Island, and he owned a helicopter that he flew every day to work. It was awesome. Except when he'd get really drunk and start buzzing people's houses. That was somewhat terrifying.

I dont like flying. But i will do it if it means going some where fun lol. I have only been on a plane a handful of times and a helicopter once over niagara falls.

Grab

I do, though it's way more stressful now since I travel with a toddler, lol.

Members online

No members online now.