I have an issue with shipping Zander

Lyzelle

So.

Zander's crate arrived today. 1st problem, product discription said it came with rear ventilation. It doesn't.

Second problem. This is a GIANT KENNEL. And his head/ears still touch the top.

WTF am I supposed to do now? I mean, obviously I try and return this thing to Amazon. But then what about the size issue?

JacksonsMom

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the ears touching thing. I've heard about lots of people who fly their dogs and most of the time, they barely look them over. I don't think the fact that his ears are touching will be a big deal. I wonder if he'll even be standing up? If he's laying down, it won't be an issue.

But, just my .02 cents. I have never flown with a dog.

Lyzelle

Alrighty, we found some contact info for AMC, so stay tuned!

ETA: Oops. Too late in the day. It's 6pm over there. So I guess we have to wait until Monday

Xandra

There may be a crate that's a couple inches bigger, so I guess shop around. Aldo, call the airline, they may let it slide if he can basically stand upright. I've heard of people being forced to buy crates at the airport when theirs is rejected, maybe see if they'll sell something they deem appropriate for his size.

You have me scared about transporting Romey if I ever need to, he's also 27"... What a PITA!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the ears touching thing. I've heard about lots of people who fly their dogs and most of the time, they barely look them over. I don't think the fact that his ears are touching will be a big deal. I wonder if he'll even be standing up? If he's laying down, it won't be an issue.

But, just my .02 cents. I have never flown with a dog.
I would worry just encase whoever did look Zander over decided to be a stickler, because I wouldn't want to be stuck not being able to fly him.

Aleron

I think this would be ok...however you are somewhat of the mercy of the people checking the dog in. I know of a case were a Belgian was flown to CA in a 400 to be bred but when she was being shipped back, they said the crate was too small and they had to buy a new crate at the airport. If you can find one a bit bigger, that'd be great but another concern is anything over...I think the 400 size Vari Kennel is not accepted on all flights.

Saeleofu

Pretend he's a collie and glue his ears down? Worked for Logan ;)

Tango had to be shipped in a RIDICULOUSLY huge crate because he was so tall. He's a freaking 5-6 pound chihuahua.

What size crate is that?

Lyzelle

AMC's pet travel info thing just says, "adequate ventilation" and "large enough
for your pet to stand-up, turn around, and lie down with normal posture and body movement".

They don't follow all of the commercial airline rules, so we're going to call them on Monday and see if this kennel will work. Shipping it back for one with a rear window and bigger size would be a major PITA.

MicksMom

Lyzelle

MicksMom

The kennel needs to be bolted shut with hardware, and the Furrarri kennels only snap shut on the side.
Forgot about the bolt thing. I thought there were holes under the latches so you could ues the bolts for flying, but it's been a looooong time since I seriously looked at them.

milos_mommy

I would call the airline, tell them your dog has large erect ears, and they're touching the tops of most kennels you try, but he can still stand with his normal posture.

Honestly, I think they look for a dog crouching down, bending their legs, or holding their head all the way down and having the withers touch, but I'm not positive. I really doubt his ears touching would be a problem.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Aeri's breeder tried shipping a mal in a kennel where he could stand normally but his ears touched. He was denied shipment until she got a bigger crate. Since you're doing this via the military, they may have different rules, but def check sooner rather than later.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Aeri's breeder tried shipping a mal in a kennel where he could stand normally but his ears touched. He was denied shipment until she got a bigger crate. Since you're doing this via the military, they may have different rules, but def check sooner rather than later.
That's crazy...Webster weighs 20 pounds and by those rules he could conceivably be denied in a Varikennel 400 and have to use a 500 because he's tall for his weight and his ears are...well...yeah

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yep. The dog was Adrianne's friend Gary's mal Q iirc. He's a 50ish lb mal and had to have a 700 crate...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yep. The dog was Adrianne's friend Gary's mal Q iirc. He's a 50ish lb mal and had to have a 700 crate...
Yeesh! I'm pretty sure Mira would also need a 500, though she may be able to get away with a 400...on the brink just like little Webster lol. Those drop ears are suddenly looking pretty fantastic.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
AMC's pet travel info thing just says, "adequate ventilation" and "large enough
for your pet to stand-up, turn around, and lie down with normal posture and body movement".

They don't follow all of the commercial airline rules, so we're going to call them on Monday and see if this kennel will work. Shipping it back for one with a rear window and bigger size would be a major PITA.
This is what led me to believe it's not a typical commercial airline. Maybe it's just an EU carrier?

Lyzelle

No, this is a military flight. It is not commercial. We have to call AMC Monday. Military doesn't do weekends. ;)

Members online

No members online now.