Helping my mom with a stray

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
My mom had a stray dumped on their ranch probably 4-5 months ago. He's a large coonhound/blue tick/bloodhound or something...very large hound.
I found a few rescues in her area and a few no-kill shelters, because my mom just can't keep him. He's a dominant dog and he's none to nice to some of her older dogs (decrepit is a good word for her older dogs of 12+ years old) he's also just too interested in the livestock they have and is driving my mother crazy.
She kept him this long because the local animal shelter has a 3 day turn around, basically if not adopted in 72 hours they euthanize - so she wouldn't send him there. He has gained weight and she guesses he's probably about 5 years old.
Any suggestions on where might be able to take him? The rescues I found are for bassets and bloodhounds...I'm not sure if they'd take Beau or not (they haven't gotten back to me yet) and my mom lives in Arizona.

Would a no kill shelter be a good option? She's not one to get rid of dogs (she's got 11 including this hound) but he can't be trusted around the livestock at all and is not housetrained or anything.
For now she has to keep him fenced in a small part of the yard away from the other dogs and horses. I don't think he's ever been an inside dog. She can't risk him injuring or killing a newborn colt.

So if these hound rescues I found won't take him, what other options does she have? Are there any intra-state rescues that could be contacted if these two I called already won't help?

Obviously i dont know about local shelters there AC.
Your mum however is a diamond,if there were more people like her around the world would be a better place.

Members online

No members online now.