Can't choose a breed!

Hi! I'm tinking on buying a dog later this year or early next year, but I'm still want to have more info on some breeds.

Im thinking on beagle, shar-pei, english cocker, but suggestions are welcome.
I live in Honduras (central america) is a tropical climate.

I'm 25 year old girl and I'm looking for a small or medium sized breed not bigger than a Shar pei.

Beeing an obidient, I managed to train a pit bull and a boxer in the past, they didn't gave problems.
I currently don't have a dog right now,but I have two semi aquatic (3 years and 2 years old) turtles, they are on the aquarium but I'll keep them away from the dog, they walk on one of the bathroom for an hour but is better to don't let the dog be near them right? since it could eat them.

Also the dog would be alone for about 5 hours when I'll go to study.

Better if is calmed.

I don't like too mush hyper active dog like jack russels or border collies, since I have hearth problems I can't get too mush exersice the walks would be of 30 minutes unless I feel bad that day.

Also we are planing on moving from this house to a smaller one or an apartment.

since we are not complety shure on moving if we don't (but have high possiblities) this house has stairs so I heard is bad for long backed dogs like basset hounds.

Every year I go to mexico to a medical check so the dog will be in care of my father or older sis but they work 7am until 6 pm, I go for like 10 days.

Myt fav breeds are Weimaraner, Clumber spaniel, Shar-pei, japanese Akita, german Sheperd (euro) and others

I never had a dog inside of my house, only on the garden so that's why i'm thinking of a smalller breed mainly if I have posibillities on living in an appartment.

And if that's the case how she willl do the potty? they can be trained like cats?

I'm planing on showing the dog also, I never had doing it but I'll love to do so.

joce

I think a pei would work for you. Just be very carefull selecting a breeder. they have a lot of serious health issues especially when bought from a bad breeder.

Peis can do well in small places and are for the most part not insanely energetic.

the only issue I might see is that peis attach onto the fmaily and sometimes have trouble with outsiders-do you have strange people over a lot?Of course you can work on that but there is not always a guarantee they will accept new people the way other dogs do. I'd also start the pup staying with your fmaily occasionally when it is young so it can adjust to it.

I love peis-my grandparents have three and they are one of my favorite breeds. If I ever fidn a good breeeder I'll get one but there are sooo hard to find. there last rescue has some serious aggression issues to the point I don't think the dog is safe-but they won't give up on her.

There peis are also potty trained to an insane point-I swear the would rather explode than pee in the house:p I have heard that most peis are like this but I'm not really sure.

I don't think the times you are gone will be a huge issue. I am gone twelve hours a day sometimes and unable to get someone to the house all the time. Accident smay happen but its nto the dogs fault and you jsut ahve to remember that.

eek, high energy dogs the Weim is. Very high energy, and stubborn. But anywho, a Shar-Pei would be your best bet. ;) There will probably be more information for you, and watch out for health issues in breeds, good luck! :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I say no to all of them except the Shar-Pei. But again, be very, very careful about breeders. Another dog you might consider is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are layed back and don't need over amounts of exercise (but all dogs need walks, mentle stimulation, training, ect.).

Maxy24

There peis are also potty trained to an insane point-I swear the would rather explode than pee in the house I have heard that most peis are like this but I'm not really sure.
Max was like that, when he quite walking he would not go on the floor, he held it to the point where he started to cry :( Anyway, I agree that peis are good dogs for you, just remember they can have some serious health problems and skin conditions so they will need coat care and wrinkle cleaning. You could go with a pei mix (although the energy can be harder to pick) so he has less wrinkles and it could cut down on the breed specific heath problems (although it's no guarantee). It all depends on how much special care you are willing and prepared to deal with.

I have a beagle/basset, and although hes very (oddly:confused:) layed back..most beagle like long walks...
I heard you say you woulsnt get a basset because you have stairs..well i have stairs?:eek:..though they should be checked at the beginning for back problems even before they are up for sale ..just ask, some breeders even rescue places will be sneaky and not tell you what people dont want hear...where are you thinking of getting your puppy or dog?

I have a beagle/basset, and although hes very (oddly:confused:) layed back..most beagle like long walks...
I heard you say you woulsnt get a basset because you have stairs..well i have stairs?:eek:..though they should be checked at the beginning for back problems even before they are up for sale ..just ask, some breeders even rescue places will be sneaky and not tell you what people dont want hear...where are you thinking of getting your puppy or dog?
So the stairs aren't a big problem?

I was thinking english cockers, my granma has always had, they are calmed but a little stubber XD

So the beagle is not a good option? :confused:
I like cavaliers a lot, but I have never seen one here :(

Here are very few dog breeders, but I have to see the quality and how they treat the dogs before buying.

There's a dog school like 40 minutes from here where they sell sharpeis, cockers, beagles, chihuahua and other breeds.But I whant to check this school puppies too if they are healty.

Also my cousing has a sharpei, she's sand color, and her name is Molly.

She dosen't have skin problems and has a good tempament, she dosen't have a pedrigree but she fits the standar well.

My cousing offered me a puppy from the dog since she whants to breed her.

A person offered my cousing a male pei services but he has a solid pink tonge what's pretty bad, I told her is a huge fault in the standar so she's looking for another male.

If I manage to have one of her puppies I'll take it to get a "certificade of pureness" not shure if in the akc have this but is a bit similar to a pedrigree but you can't get international titles, only regional ones.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
There's a dog school like 40 minutes from here where they sell sharpeis, cockers, beagles, chihuahua and other breeds.But I whant to check this school puppies too if they are healty.

Also my cousing has a sharpei, she's sand color, and her name is Molly.

She dosen't have skin problems and has a good tempament, she dosen't have a pedrigree but she fits the standar well.

My cousing offered me a puppy from the dog since she whants to breed her.

A person offered my cousing a male pei services but he has a solid pink tonge what's pretty bad, I told her is a huge fault in the standar so she's looking for another male.
All of that screams bad breeding to me.

Whom ever you choose to buy from, make sure they test for genetic problems associated with what ever breed you want to buy (this is not a simple health check or vet check, it's specific testing). Make sure they show you proof of this as well.
You'll also want to make sure they prove their dogs are breeding quality, whether that be through showing them or working them.

I wouldn't buy from a breeder who didn't do both of those things.

Good luck with your search though, Shar Pei's are wonderful dogs...I'm interested in them myself. :)

Cass.

All of that screams bad breeding to me.

Whom ever you choose to buy from, make sure they test for genetic problems associated with what ever breed you want to buy (this is not a simple health check or vet check, it's specific testing). Make sure they show you proof of this as well.
You'll also want to make sure they prove their dogs are breeding quality, whether that be through showing them or working them.

I wouldn't buy from a breeder who didn't do both of those things.

Good luck with your search though, Shar Pei's are wonderful dogs...I'm interested in them myself. :)

Cass.
Well, unfurtunly l I never have hear of people doing healt test on the dogs here.

The vets have a very primitive or limited education, and very few are responsable, whe don't have vet school, and I remember in a tv show one of the most popular vets in the country say he study vetenerian school in the US In the year 1970 :yikes:

They close the clinics on holidays and weekends, so if you have a dog ran by a car in sunday night there's no hope for him, only to stay alive until the next day, since there isen't any 24 hours open vet clinic in the hole country.

13 years ago I had a cat whit a big problem, she needed an urget operation but since it was dicember 23, the vet told me he will do the operation until january "because is years end and is a holiday" , and she was suffering a lot, she managed to survive but she didn't eat those days, and all the vet clinics where closed.

I heard of a case of a rottwailer whit a mayor hip displachia (he could't walk) and the vet told to take pills to relive the pain and he told the owner that that will cure him, what obvious false.

What I can only do is to keep an eye of any signals of a puppy mill and irresponsable persons don't buy them from there.

Well good news!
My cousin's shar pei is on season and she has a new blue boyfried. :D

My puppy could be the way.
I hope God If this goes well.

It will be better if a manage to have a blue one since is my fav tone in the shar pei. :cool:

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Well, unfurtunly l I never have hear of people doing healt test on the dogs here.

The vets have a very primitive or limited education, and very few are responsable, whe don't have vet school, and I remember in a tv show one of the most popular vets in the country say he study vetenerian school in the US In the year 1970 :yikes:

They close the clinics on holidays and weekends, so if you have a dog ran by a car in sunday night there's no hope for him, only to stay alive until the next day, since there isen't any 24 hours open vet clinic in the hole country.

13 years ago I had a cat whit a big problem, she needed an urget operation but since it was dicember 23, the vet told me he will do the operation until january "because is years end and is a holiday" , and she was suffering a lot, she managed to survive but she didn't eat those days, and all the vet clinics where closed.

I heard of a case of a rottwailer whit a mayor hip displachia (he could't walk) and the vet told to take pills to relive the pain and he told the owner that that will cure him, what obvious false.

What I can only do is to keep an eye of any signals of a puppy mill and irresponsable persons don't buy them from there.
Just because you've never heard of people doing health tests there doesn't mean they don't. You'll really just have to talk to some breeders and attend some shows to find out.

Honduras has a Canine Association (ie: Kennel Club). The best thing to do if you want to find a dog (especially if you want to show) is to contact them and ask them for a breeder referral.

HONDURAS: Asociación Canófila de Honduras
P.O. Box 3330 TEGUCIGALPA
Phone: 00 504 / 221 14 03
Fax: 00 504 / 238 01 41

Of course, it's ultimately up to you and I wish you luck with your pup no matter where it comes from.

Cass.

If the dog lacks papers.. how would you show it as you indicated you might like to?
In the FCI ruled countries you can have a paper called C.P.R

Is a certificade of pure breed in where you take a pure breed paperless dog an a vet or a judge has to check if applies to the standar and if is fine whit this paper is like a founder of a pedrigrie.

You can take this dogs to a beauty contes but they can't have international titles only regional ones like group winner, BIS...

If you breed this dog whit a pedrigree one or another CPR , the "holes" are filled for the future puppies.

When 3 gen are filled you got a genealogic cetificaded

Here are more info but is in spanish http://www.perrosdemexico.com.mx/servicios/sfcm2.html

Just because you've never heard of people doing health tests there doesn't mean they don't. You'll really just have to talk to some breeders and attend some shows to find out.

Honduras has a Canine Association (ie: Kennel Club). The best thing to do if you want to find a dog (especially if you want to show) is to contact them and ask them for a breeder referral.

HONDURAS: Asociación Canófila de Honduras
P.O. Box 3330 TEGUCIGALPA
Phone: 00 504 / 221 14 03
Fax: 00 504 / 238 01 41

Of course, it's ultimately up to you and I wish you luck with your pup no matter where it comes from.

Cass.
Thanks I'll try to ask there.

Miakoda

Well good news!
My cousin's shar pei is on season and she has a new blue boyfried. :D

My puppy could be the way.
I hope God If this goes well.

It will be better if a manage to have a blue one since is my fav tone in the shar pei. :cool:
Have both of these dogs been shown? Have they been health tested? Are they titled in any other venue?

If the answer is "no" to any one of these, then this is crappy back yard breeding at it's finest.

joce

I think its a lot diffrent down there guys-most breeders here don't health test,there it may be nill.

Some countries are completely diffrent with there dogs and breeding.

Members online

No members online now.