fish oil supplement

dogsbestfriend

Talk to the Paw!
I've been adding a fish oil supplement to my dog's food (1000 mg per day). Is this a sufficient amount? Also, does anyone recommend any other supplements?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
The amount you need to supplement depends on two things:

1. the omega fatty acid content of the product, and
2. the dog's body weight.

Anytime you supplement with fish oil, you should also add some vitamin E, since omega 3 fatty acids oxidize rapidly and increase the body's requirement. 100 IU per 25 pounds of body weigght is enough. :)

I was going to create a new thread, but since this is here already...

Is "Dancing Paws Coat Shine Premium" a good supplement in place of fish oil?

It contains a mixture of flax seed oil, organic soy oil, fish oil, and natural vitamin E. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I plan on checking it out at the Whole Foods store tomorrow.

Right now I'm using olive oil in Saluda's home prepared meals, but I would much rather use higher quality oils like fish oil.

Edit: I found a link with more info :)
http://www.am-products.com/coatshinprem.html

dogsbestfriend

Talk to the Paw!
She only weighs 12 pounds. I'm sure I don't really need to give it to her, because she eats a high quality food. A friend told me that it would be good for her coat. I'm just not sure how much to give her.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
dogsbestfriend, it's a very beneficial thing to add to your dog's diet, even if you feed a good quality commercial food - they don't contain all that much, and quite a bit of it oxidizes once the bag is opened.

At 12 pounds, one 1000mg capsuleof fish oil per day is fine. Give about 50 IU of vitamin E with that daily, or 100 IU every other day.

gamecockgirl, I wouldn't give that supplement. There is no need to give your dog soy oil, and fish oil is more available to the dog's body than flax oil. The product also makes no statement at all about what kind of fish is used. Stick with a good brand like for example Grizzly Salmon Oil, or any of the products from seapet.com. If you feed home prepared meals exclusively, I'd recommend their "Omega 3 "A, D & E" Oil",it's a great way to get vitamin D into the diet.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Mordy. What about Dermcaps? I never really here those mentioned in the forums.... I currently use them because I was given a large bottle few months ago..... the bottle states it already contains vit E. Do I still need to suplement some vit E with it?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I'm not a big fan of the Derm Caps product line either. They do not disclose enough safety information about the fish oil in their products and they use synthetic vitamin E instead of the natural kind, which is much more effective.

The vitamin E content is a little on the low side, but still oaky.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
I'm looking at seapets website and they have tons of choices to pick from.

Which do you recommend? Should I just get the omega 3 with all the vitamins A,D an E? or just the standard Omega 3 with vit E?

They will be used for 2 dogs 10lbs and under.

Mordy said:
"Omega 3 "A, D & E" Oil"
Thanks Mordy! I plan on buying this oil, but do I still need to give her the salmon oil in addition to this one? Also, since this contains vitamin E, do I need to add any extra?
Who knew oil could be so confusing :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Which product you choose depends on the diet you are already feeding.

When feeding a home prepared diet, the A, D & E Oil is a good choice, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who feeds kibble, or mostly kibble. In that case I'd go with the fish oil that has only the vitamin E added.

Gamecockgirl, you only need the A, D & E Oil, no other fish oil and no extra vitamin E. :)

Members online

No members online now.