Trying to win a scholarship! :D (Help?)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I'm so excited about this, guys. I'm trying to win a photography scholarship to the art institute in Nashville. I went there last summer (or two summers ago, maybe?) to check it out, and it is SO nice and the photography program is really cool. It's just SO expensive.

But the other day I got an email from them saying that there was a contest, and the prize was a scholarship for photography! I have to submit 6 photos that tell a story, and a 500-800 word essay describing the photos (and the story) as a whole.

One of my favorite pictures I've taken is this picture:

It has so much natural contrast, and I just...love it.

And I feel like I was just MEANT to do this project because I also have a picture of Holly with the same flower:

So I've decided that for my project I'm going to use those two photos, and my other three photos will be like this:

1. A picture of my sister and I, each with a flower in our hair

2. A picture of a flower on a grave stone

3. A picture of Violet with a flower

(the flowers will be the same kind as the above two - and all photos will be black and white)

The flowers will symbolize how we are all connected. The flower started out just a flower, and then became a symbol of our connection through love, and blood. Because Holly passed away, but Violet is related to her by blood, and we all are all connected with the flower. I hope that makes sense? I will post my essay once I write it. :D

Any ideas to make this better? Any ideas on how I should write the essay? I'd greatly appreciate any help/criticism! :D

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I'm really bad at writing, so I can't help with that, but I love the pictures! I think this idea would work out great, especially if some of our writers give you some ideas.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
OH GOSH! Thank you, HAHAHA! Sorry I forgot to say that one of them is going to be 5 flowers together. I haven't decided if I just want a close up of them all bunched together, or have them in a circle, or what. Having them bunched together would kind of symbolize that we'll always be together even though she's gone, and the circle would symbolize that it's kind of a never-ending cycle of love and life.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Finally started my essay, and finished it! I'm considering re-writing it. But if I don't get around to it, at least I have SOMETHING to submit.

I still haven't gotten the silk flowers to finish the other photos, but I still have 10 days.

Let me know what you think about the essay! I know it isn't great, but it has to be at least 500 words (I feel like I could've written something more meaningful in a shorter amount of words) so it seems really streatched out with unnecesary words.

Here's what I have currently:

Let me start by saying that Photography is very close to my heart. It's funny because I've always had a love for taking pictures. I actually used to beg my mom to buy me some of those little disposable cameras at the grocery store every time we went shopping, so I could takes pictures of anything and everything! As it turns out, both my father, and grandfather were actually photographers! I guess it's just something that's in my blood.

This particular project was very special to me. I dedicate it to my Siberian Husky dog, Holly. She was my best friend, and at a young age she developed some internal problems, and had to put to sleep. These photographs are for her, and represent how she will always be with me.

The first photo is of a single daisy. The single daisy is used as a symbol of how something small can represent something that is a beautiful part of my life. I've used it to represent Holly.

The second photo is of Holly and the daisy together. It symbolizes how the two relate, and why the daisy is used in remembrance of her. We always had flowers in our yard, and I loved taking pictures of her among the daisies. This photo has a very happy feeling to it, and shows that I have happy memories of her.

The third photo is the daisy on a gravestone. The gravestone symbolizes Holly's death, and the daisy symbolizes that she is still here in my memory, and that everytime I see a daisy, I will think of her. The photo has a very sad feeling to it, and shows how much it broke my heart for me to lose her.

The fourth photo is of myself with the daisy. The daisy is close to my heart, and it symbolizes, that I will always hold on to her inside of my heart, and that even though I don't have her here with me, she touched my life, and will always be a part of me.

The fifth photo is of my new puppy, Violet, with the daisy. She is the puppy of Holly's sister, and is directly related to Holly. Violet reminds me so, so much of Holly, and I see Holly in her every day. I will never forget Holly, and she will always have a place in my heart, but Violet has made losing her so much easier, and I am so grateful for her. The photo represents how the daisy has gone from a simple flower to something that now represents two of the most important things in my life.

The sixth, and final photo is of three flowers together. The flowers symbolize Holly, Violet, and myself, and how we will always be connected, through love, and through blood, and how even though Holly is gone, we will always be together in our hearts.

My vision for this project is to memorialize my dog. She was there for me through many rough times, and never judged me. She loved me no matter what, and she was always there for me. I miss her every single day, and while I can't bring her back, I can remember all of the times we had, and all the beautiful memories we shared. Photographs help to remember each of those memories, and is one of the reasons photography is so beautiful. Photography gives people the ability to capture a moment, and save it forever, and that's why I love it so much.

ETA: It's not actually an essay, btw, it's a 500-800 word description of the photos as a whole, and my vision for the project.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm not good at essays, but I do like what you've wrote. I know others may have better input.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks so much! I hope I'm not too late for this. I still haven't been able to get the flowers for my last photos. :( And I still have to send in my transcript. x_x UGH! I keep asking my mom to take me to get the flowers, but everyone's so busy! I really wish I had my license!!!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Just an update, I finished and entered all of my photos and my essay. :) I'm really stoked, and I feel really good about what I've sumbmitted. Please wish me luck! :D

(I'll post the pictures and finished essay here when I can!)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Here's my finished project! Scholarship Vibes, anyone? :D

Let me start by saying that Photography is very close to my heart. It's funny because I've always had a love for taking pictures. I actually used to beg my mom to buy me those little disposable cameras at the grocery store every time we went shopping, so I could takes pictures of anything and everything! As it turns out, both my father, and grandfather were actually photographers! I guess it's just something that's in my blood.

This particular project was very special to me. I dedicate it to my Siberian Husky dog, Holly. She was my best friend, and at a young age she developed some internal problems, and had to be put to sleep. These photographs are for her, and represent how she will always be with me.

The first photo is of a single daisy. The single daisy is used as a symbol of how something small can represent something that is a beautiful part of my life. I've used it to represent Holly.

The second photo is of Holly and the daisy together. It symbolizes how the two relate, and why the daisy is used in remembrance of her. We always had flowers in our yard, and I loved taking pictures of her among the daisies. This photo has a very happy feeling to it, and shows that I have happy memories of her.

The third photo is the daisy on a gravestone. The gravestone symbolizes Holly's death, and the daisy symbolizes that she is still here in my memory, and that everytime I see a daisy, I will think of her. The photo has a very sad feeling to it, and shows how much it broke my heart for me to lose her.

The fourth photo is of myself with the daisy. The daisy symbolizes that I will always remember her, and that even though I don't have her here with me, she touched my life, and will always be a part of me.

The fifth photo is of my new puppy, Violet, with the daisy. She is the puppy of Holly's sister, and is directly related to Holly. Violet reminds me so, so much of Holly, and I see Holly in her every day. I will never forget Holly, and she will always have a place in my heart, but Violet has made losing her so much easier, and I am so grateful for her. The photo represents how the daisy has gone from a simple flower to something that now represents two of the most important things in my life.

The sixth, and final photo is of three flowers together. The flowers symbolize Holly, Violet, and myself, and how we will always be connected, through love, and through blood, and how even though Holly is gone, we will always be together in our hearts.

My vision for this project is to memorialize my dog. She was there for me through many rough times, and never judged me. She loved me no matter what, and she was always there for me. I miss her every single day, and while I can't bring her back, I can remember all of the times we had, and all the beautiful memories we shared. Photographs help me to remember each of those memories, and it's one of the reasons photography is so beautiful. Photography gives people the ability to capture a moment, and save it forever, and that's why I love it so much.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Aww, thank you SO much!!!!!!!!!! :D

I haven't heard anything back, but they'll inform everyone when a winner's been chosen, so I'm just waiting to hear something!

pamlstano

I am guessing that you announced as winner because your lovely photos impose your moral and personality. Hope that i am right.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Hey! Sorry for not updating. The finalists are announced sometime this month, and the winner is announced in August. I haven't heard anything yet, but I hope to at least be a finalist!

They were having issues getting my transcripts to the right place, and if I don't even get considered because of some screw-up on their end, I'm going to be really upset. :( They've called us about it like three times, and it's getting ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.