What Breeds?

StillandSilent

This is Deacon. He was surrendered to our shelter a few weeks ago. The previous owners seemed to think he was an aussie mix, but no one is quite sure. He has strange eyes. He weighs about 45 lbs and is sort of squat, like a bully breed type dog. I am thinking maybe some sort of Catahoula, but I've never acutally seen one up close. He has a small blaze of white in one of his eyes, but I'm told that is common with the merle coloring.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC11.html

Opinions?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Looks Catahoula-ish to me. Aussies generally don't have that pattern to their merling.

A

Angel Chicken

Still!

That puppy is VERY close to me!

Do you live in NC or was this just a random dog you came across?

StillandSilent

I am in Morganton NC. Deacon lives at our shelter. Can anyone give some advice on Catahoulas? We are having some issues with him, some of which are coming from an abusive past, some of which may be breed related.

sam

He looks catahoula-ish to me too much more so than aussie. The only aussie trait I see is the blue merle coloring but that's probably from catahoula in him not aussie would be my best guess.

S

Squishy22

Looks like an aussie mix to me. one of my friends has an aussie/lab mix with the same coloring and same length of coat. They could pass as siblings easily.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
catahoula mix(catahoulas have shorter coats)he look like he may have lab, hes beautiful though whatever he is (what issues is he having?)

StillandSilent

Well, his issues started with some soft growling, but now he is showing some very strange tics. Almost like a mini seizure. We have taken him off adoption pending a vet evaluation on Mon. I'm worried, because his eyes are starting to look strange, so I think there might be a neurological issues. There was some question about a cattle prod being used on him, so there could be some serious damage. :mad:

Nancy Lou

Catahoula. I have seen one almost identical to her. She doesn't look as happy-go-lucky though

StillandSilent

Well, I have bad news. Our vet was able to come in early to do the evaluation on Deacon. He sedated him for one of the tests. While he was under, Deacon suffered a seizure and didn't come out of it. We tried to revive him for quite a while, but he never really woke up. We euthanized him this afternoon. Thank you all for your replies, and if I get a similar dog, I will know what he is right off the bat.

Miakoda

I'm sorry to hear about Deacon. :( At least his last days were full of kindness.

As to what he was, he looked like a Catahoula or Catahoula mix. Regardless, he was a handsome dog.

Members online

No members online now.