Kennel Cough - isolation period?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
What's the recommened isolation period?

Bo is staying with someone who has another dog when I go away.

I need to make other arrangements as I leave on Tues and need to know how long for..... I've read anything between 10 days and 4 weeks :yikes:

Bear in mind she went to the vets 24hrs after I 1st heard her cough - so I caught it very quickly.

She's had an injection of anti-inflammatory and she's on antibiotics for 10 days.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I think it honestly depends on what strain of Kennel cough she got?

My friends just got a pup not too long ago and she had kennel cough. The vet quoted her isolation period to be approx 3 weeks... though I wont let her dog around mine until she sees the vet again and gets the ok.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The vet said she would still be infectious by tues, but she didn't give me an idea of how long... It's too late to call them now... best call in the morning.

This is a bit irritating LOL

FATE!!

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
and give her a seperate water bowel.. ie she drinks from one bowl, not the ones shared..

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Trying to translate but that seems like about 30 pounds so its 250 mg at night. 500 the first night to kick it, then 250 and at night because this is a water soluable vitamin and will pass in urine so you want it in the body the longest amount of time.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Also since the bordetella vaccine doesnt cover all the strains, I have run into it as well and basically the vaccine is useless. What I do if a dog shows up with it is vitamin c treatments and seperate the drinking bowels. If other dogs in the house, give them vitamin C as well. And remember- its a cold..

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
It's 52.8lbs apparently.

I just need to know how long she needs to be kept away from other dogs?

I'll get some vit C too though!

She's not coughing badly - just now and then when she's active. SOOOOOO glad I took her straight into the vets.... OMG.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My only concern is the other dog she is staying with is epileptic and there is NO way I'd risk her getting ill - it would be very serious for her.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
It's 52.8lbs apparently.

I just need to know how long she needs to be kept away from other dogs?

I'll get some vit C too though!

She's not coughing badly - just now and then when she's active. SOOOOOO glad I took her straight into the vets.... OMG.
Then I would do 500 mg at night for like a week. Zubin picked it up at a show, and I did what I said and none of the other ( then ) 3 got it. I also gave the other dogs vitamin C at night at well. If 30 pounds or less 250 mg if over 40 give 500 mg at night

My only concern is the other dog she is staying with is epileptic and there is NO way I'd risk her getting ill - it would be very serious for her.
I would dose her as a 40 pound ie 500 mg dog. Keep her water bowl seperate. Starting vitamin c early usually heads it off as it boosts the immune system.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I use a humidifier and cough meds when they need sleep. That's about it. Unless it's a small pup or an old dog...I don't bother with Rx stuff. We don't go showing, of course...and all mine get reg bord. shots...not that they do squat LOL.

It's airborne...so really...unless they are in a diff house it's going to travel...thru air ducts and on clothing etc.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I seriously would not get overly stressed. If it makes you feel better pick up some antibiotics for the other dog so that if she starts coughing she has meds on hand.

Staff online

Members online