How do I volunteer at a rescue?

Well, I have been inerested in volunteering at a rescue, the Madison County Humane Society. But, I don't know how I get to volunteer.. I would love to help walk, play with, clean up after, feed, water, and all of that stuff to the rescues that come in. :) But, I don't know how I do it.. Cause I want to do something with all the extra time I have. But, could someone help me with this? Here is where I want to volunteer at...

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/IN35.html

But, I don't know how I could get into volunteering here. Other than call, or what to say, I am more of the shy person, and could a 15 year old volunteer? Thank you for reading!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Best thing to do would be either go down there or call and get information about volunteering from them.

Oh, and I don't think it's a rescue....it's a no-kill shelter :)

Most shelters wont allow anyone under 18 to volunteer unless accompanied by a parent (liability reasons). That said, a lot of places will. My best suggestion would be to actually go to the shelter and tell them what you would like to do.

Even if you cant volunteer at the shelter, you might ask if you could help them by posting petfinder pages or cross posting dogs or approving applications, exc. You might also talk to rescue groups in your area to see if they need any help. Most places need help with fundraisers and such as well.

Also FYI-most shelters have paid employees who clean, feed and water the animals :)

PS-Also saw this on their webpage:

"PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THE MADISON COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY AND OUR MISSION TO HELP ANIMALS IN NEED!
Create your personal fundraising page and send out e-mails to friends, family, and coworkers asking them to make a donation through your page to help support the Madison County Humane Society. It's easy, fast, and a great way to raise funds and support the Madison County Humane Society year round!"

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Our shelter lets you volunteer with the animals as long as you are 16, but they have a program for kids younger then that so don't give up hope :)

I probably will ask. :) My friend was 13 or so, and she helped them, but things change too. And I will be 16 soon.

Maxy24

http://members.petfinder.org/~IN35/

is this the same place it is n anderson Indiana, if it is then anyone 14 and up can volunteer. i was also looking for a place to volunteer and had a very hard time finding a place that allowed 15 yr. olds, but I finally have and am gonna fill out the online application. You will also probably fill out an application and then have an interview.

these are the rules for that place:
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
# Minimum volunteer age is 14
# You must fill out a �Volunteer Application� and �Volunteer Release� forms
# If you are under 18 years of age your parent or guardian must also sign the �Volunteer Release� form
# The application will be reviewed by the Volunteer Coordinator
# The prospective volunteer will have an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator
# Volunteer times will be scheduled
# Volunteers are required to sign in, and out, in the �Volunteer Log Book� each time work is performed
# Please remove any jewelry that may present a hazard to the animals or yourself
# Do not wear any clothing that makes contact with the ground
# Do not wear sandals, thongs, clogs or any shoes that are not fully enclosed
# Please be aware that you will be working in an animal facility and dress accordingly. It is quite possible that your clothing may get wet or soiled in performing your tasks. We look forward to working with you in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns about your volunteering experience with us please contact the office.

GipsyQueen

It depends on the shelter I guess! I'm allowed to help at my local animal shelter, and Im 15, I'm just not allowed to walk the dog until I'm 15. :/
Hehe I can't wait until tomorrow, I'm going down to "adopt" a goddog. They have a program where you can pay xamount of money a month supporting a dog of your choice. Mostly those who can't be given a home, because they are too old, are sick or because no one wants them. :(

T

tessa_s212

Generally they have alot of restrictions on young people because of the lack of experience and knowledge. It is not all that often that you get young people that really know hwat they are doing and talkign about when it comes to dogs.

Go for it though! Even if they don't allow you alot of freedom and responsibility with teh dogs, if ou stick around long enough, you might eventually prove to them to let you have more responsibilities.

Members online

No members online now.