Toenail clipper recommendations?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So, this transition to the dremel is not going as smoothly as I'd hoped, so in the meantime I'm looking to get a good, high quality pair of toenail clippers.

Mollie has small, frail nails and Frodo has very, very thick toenails, so something that can deal with both easily would be best!

I do need something that can definitely cut through Frodo's thick nails like butter though, if he feels pressure he will freak!

I bought one of those Pedicures for Jack and Chloe and they aren't to keen on it at all!!! It scares them!!! It's a nightmare cutting their nails, especially Chloe.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
my guys don't love the dremel, but they tolerate it much better than clippers--so I am not much help to you!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Dena, my trainer uses one of those on her dogs, it's basically a dremel with a hood, so I doubt Izzy and Frodo are going to like it any better than my dremel.

Bax, Frodo doesn't tolerate anything. As soon as something comes even close to his nail he is screaming bloody murder. It's definitely a 2 person job plus a glob of peanut butter to get his nails done. The desensitization really isn't going anywhere so it's back to physically holding him down to get them done. Izzy has decided that she doesn't want the dremel touching her back feet. Why? Who knows...

Thanks Sizzle!

Barb04

Super Moderator
SizzleDog, I have the same ones and love them. They work really well on hard nails.

My two don't like it at all either. I did as they suggested and let them get used to it...smell it when it wasn't on. Chloe just tries to bite me and freaks out when I try to use it on her. JB tolerates it a little better but he trembles the whole time.
Dena, my trainer uses one of those on her dogs, it's basically a dremel with a hood, so I doubt Izzy and Frodo are going to like it any better than my dremel.

Bax, Frodo doesn't tolerate anything. As soon as something comes even close to his nail he is screaming bloody murder. It's definitely a 2 person job plus a glob of peanut butter to get his nails done. The desensitization really isn't going anywhere so it's back to physically holding him down to get them done. Izzy has decided that she doesn't want the dremel touching her back feet. Why? Who knows...

Thanks Sizzle!

Have you tired a scratching board? I couldn't find instructions on how to make one, but here's a youtube video on how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHiJL-OpBE

It seems like a neat idea since you don't have to touch the dog at all and the dog does it himself so there's no fighting him to get it done.

Has anyone tried this? Is it safe to do?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I actually made a thread a few months back about the scratching board!
I've just been too lazy to get the stuff around, though now I just might since the dremel isn't working. Thanks for reminding me of it, I had forgotten.

I know OutlineACDs had started with it and posted a video of her dog doing it on YouTube.

I think I remember you making a post about the board now! When you get around to making one, be sure to post pics. Or a video :D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I will, eventually. :lol-sign:

I'm so not the DIY kind of person though, I much prefer to just buy something already made. *le sigh*

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
We also dremel.. Cider is a pain about clippers, she screams the entire time.. She'll actually tolerate the dremel most of the time or till the last nail or two, but will settle and take it.. Smudge has been dremelled since puppyhood and doesn't care.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
YOu best learn how, too long of nails can split and cause worse injury. The dewclaw nail can grow into the pad when it fully circles.

I had a bad pair of clippers and i am just horrifed, first time i used them on Pepper who has been a champ and it split the nail right into the nail bed. Now she is pretrified but i have since clipped her nails twice and she is slowly trusting me again. i don't know what was wrong with them i have never had a pair do that before and it is was the same brand i have always trusted to be sharp and effective. I have always sworn that dull clippers will get you bite, no dog likes the pinch. THey should cut like butter, fast and clean. Pepper's nail has been a long time growing out and she still has a trace of a limp.

Dekka

Just try me..
I never cut the nails of my puppy. I am afraid he will not be willing.
Then you will need to take him very regularly to the vet or groomer so it can be done. Most dogs are just fine with it, but it is something that needs doing at least every other week with most dogs.

Its much cheaper to do it yourself.. but if you can't then you will have to take your dog to someone who can.

bubbatd

I need to buy a good pair .... which type ??? BTW as a breeder all pups had their nails clipped at a very early age , Not only to get them used to it , but for the poor Mom !

F

FluffyZooCrew

I just use the pair I bought at Walmart... they work wonderfully and cut quick and evenly. They really don't split. I've been meaning to get a dremel, and may get around to it one of these years. For now, most of my guys aren't crazy over getting their nails clipped, but aren't too bothered by it. Every 2 weeks is grooming time, which includes a bath and a nail trim. By now, they're used to it.

I love my walmart nail clippers though.

maltipoo

I use the Wahl brand for clipping my dogs. I have a whole kit of it. I would recommend it. Maybe you could google it, but i got it at walmart.

yassy

PWCorgi,
I like Millers clipper (with orange handle).it cuts well and my dog tolerate it well.When you have puppy,you can touch the paw a little,click and treat,and gradually hold the paw,click and treat.You handle muzzle and click and treat.These things really help for nail clipping or teeth blushing. To do easy nail clipping,find the treat your dog go nuts about and place the treat where dog cannot touch/go grab it but can see and smell. Let them sit nicely and start with touch the paw,click treat,and gradually,hold the paw,click and treat and finally one nail clip and treat. I think clipping just one nail at a time is fine.Palette is not into nail clipping but with this treat,she is much cooperative.
I am trying to do dremel but just touching her paw with dremel without it being on scares her still or pull her paws away so,I am not still to the step try with it on.It will be long days away.To do dremel,so that the fur does not caught on dremel,you can use pantyhose you don't use and let the paw in,pull it back and all hair is away from the rolling dremel.I barely clip my dog's nail.I think from walking/running,it seems grinding the nail naturally.I usually clip front paws nails.I am not a dog trainer but these helped me do clipping my dog nail and teeth blushing.

Val was traumatized at the Vet with nail trimming. I am trying to desensitize his paws before I even attempt to clip them.

Is there any type of trimmer that is best for a dog that absolutely freaks at nail trimming?

Any tips on trimming nails of dog that has been traumatized with his nail trimming????

Members online

No members online now.