Former Nun in Philly charged with animal cruelty

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Just wow

http://www.nbc10.com/news/14262046/detail.html

Former Nun Cited For 62 Counts Of Animal Cruelty
Neighbors: Woman Couldn't Say No To Taking In Homeless Animals

PHILADELPHIA -- The SPCA was literally chasing down some animals as they were taken out of a Mayfair row home Wednesday.

Neighbors said the women who owns the home is a former nun who just couldn't say no to taking in homeless animals.

Police said the woman was cited for 62 counts of animal cruelty, meaning she could have to pay $43,000 worth of fines.

Until further notice, officials said she can't go in the Castor Gardens neighborhood home and she'll have to pay to have it cleaned up Thursday.

Animal control workers wore masks Wednesday to avoid the smell that was coming from the home that contained 46 cats and 16 dogs. All of them were placed in Philadelphia Animal Control and Pennsylvania SPCA vehicles.

"I'm surprised there was that many animals," said one woman.

But neighbors were not surprised, NBC 10's John Blunt reported. The stench from the animals has overwhelmed this neighborhood for more than two years, according to residents.

Terry Henry, who moved in a few doors away, said she took action after she over the weekend.

"When I was at work yesterday, I made a phone call. I called the SPCA and told them it stunk -- it smelled like a dead body. That's exactly what it smelled like," Henry said.

There were so many cats and dogs to collect that the SPCA had to keep bringing in more vehicles to haul them away.

The city's Department of Licenses and Inspections condemned the home.

Neighbors told Blunt that the former nun, one of the two women who lived there -- she was outside the home Wednesday wearing Phillies T-shirt -- had good intentions that went awray.

She said nothing to reporters.

But the SPCA's Dr. Ravi Murarka did, telling Blunt the dogs were very sick from ammonia fumes coming from the widespread animal waste inside the home.

Some SPCA workers wore masks handling the sicken animals stacked in cages.

A friend of the woman who cared for the animals said she meant well.

"Don't look at it as something that is a terrible thing. She did things out of her heart. She did what she could to help lost animals, animals that couldn't be placed," said Helen Pasko, of Mayfair.

But SPCA workers disagreed, saying the animals were held in unsanitary confinement and calling the incident a case of animal hoarding.

Officials are continuing to investigate.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
But SPCA workers disagreed, saying the animals were held in unsanitary confinement and calling the incident a case of animal hoarding.
Someone should inform those workers that "hoarding" is a mental illness in most cases, not wanton cruelty. I feel bad for the animals, but I hope that woman can get the help she needs.

nancy2394

My thoughts exactly. I feel horrible for those poor animals... but I think the woman had good intentions, but it got completely out of hand.

noludoru

Bored Now.
IMO good intentions only go so far, though. I understand hoaders often have something really wrong with them.. but can't begin to fathom that kind of neglect.. and living with it.. why on earth did the neighbors let it go on for two years?????

nancy2394

I know... isn't that crazy.. I couldn't have put up with a stench like that for 2 years. And yeah, I think hoarders have some serious psychiatric issues. I feel bad for the lady as well as all the animals she thought she was helping. I hope some of them went to homes.. but I have a feeling a lot of them have been destroyed due to illness.

saveadog

6 of the hoarded dogs were Border Collies

Six of the 62 animals that were confined in that row home were Border Collies. Those of you that know the breed can imagine what issues these poor dogs will likely have - and we already know from speaking with the SPCA intake vet that they have mange...

I volunteer and foster for Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue, and we are working with the PSPCA in an effort to take in, vet, rehab, and re-home those that we can help.

The president of our rescue drove to Phili yesterday to assess the dogs and determine how many we can bring in to our rescue - hopefully all 6 - I have not spoken with her yet today.

Our rescue, like most, was already full when we got this news, so we can use all the help we can get with this mission we've taken on.

Forgive me if this is tacky, but I feel compelled to post a link below to our rescue's web page for any of you that could spare even $10 or $20 to help us come up with the funds we need to build a new kennel so that we can house these dogs while we wait for foster homes.:( We need a minimum of $2,500 to build new kennels, and that doesn't touch the medical expenses of 6 neglected dogs.:(

http://mabcr.org/home/cruelty

Members online