Brake Fast Bowl Alternatives

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Kiba (or tries to) horks her food as fast as possible and then has to upchuck some of it, then continues eating. Thus why we got the brake fast bowl, but recently it seems she's back to doing it more than usual.

She has a red (medium) right now, do you think getting her the larger one would make the larger kibble more or less accessible to slow her down more? Or maybe I should try switching to a smaller kibble.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Would take too long and be to noisy. And would most likely make the other dogs try to fight through crates.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The larger size will make food MORE accessible I'd think. What about putting a tennis ball or big clean rock in the bowl as well?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, ditto the larger bowl making the kibble easier to get. You can try wetting it down, that slows Pepper down some.

Alternatively put her in another room where she's not near the other dogs and let her use the work to eat toys. It shouldn't take too much time; if you have a dog who's making herself sick eating you need to figure out a way to make the time if that's the only solution.

FG167

I've had fantastic success with adding water. Kastle is my third dog with this problem. He eats slower if he can eat no where near the other dogs (like a different room) and with water. Smaller kibble a are more puke worthy than large for him.

Barb04

Super Moderator
A couple ideas that I was given:

Use a muffin tin and put a some kibble into each compartment.

Use a large cookie sheet (with sides) and spread the kibble all over it.

MicksMom

Use a large cookie sheet (with sides) and spread the kibble all over it.
I was going to suggest that, too. And, believe it or not, a bigger regular bowl works, as well. I didn't have much luck putting a tennis ball in Mick's dish-he just took it out. But, with Caleb I put a couple of empty Kongs in his dish.

I always add water to my dogs' food. Don't soak the food, but just right before you put the dish down add enough water so that the kibble floats a bit. You could even add it in the brake-fast bowl.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I really want that grass looking one!

I use a kong wobbler for Joey's food since he tends to scarfe otherwise and he gets about 90% of his meals in the wobbler right now. In the mornings it keeps him busy while I get ready for work which is nice. But... As you said, it does take time.

CaliTerp07

It really doesn't take that long to empty a food toy if your dog is so crazy food driven. The kong genius takes Lucy between 2-3 minutes. Easy enough to feed dogs in crates and bring the toys up to your room while you brush your hair or something and monitor her.

When I'm really desperate and can't find her toy(s), I throw the kibble around the room like confetti so she can only eat one piece at a time...

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
It really doesn't take that long to empty a food toy if your dog is so crazy food driven. The kong genius takes Lucy between 2-3 minutes. Easy enough to feed dogs in crates and bring the toys up to your room while you brush your hair or something and monitor her.

When I'm really desperate and can't find her toy(s), I throw the kibble around the room like confetti so she can only eat one piece at a time...
i do this outside in the morning in the grass. fling 2 cups of kibble all over the yard, keeps her busy for a good 20-30 minutes while she hunts down every piece

Members online

No members online now.