Newborn pics!

SaraB

I think I must be the only person in the world who thinks newborn foals are fugly!!!!

They're so nicer a bit older!
Wow. How would you feel if someone posted on one of your puppy picture threads that GSP's are ugly? Some things are better left unsaid.

With that said, I think he's lovely Maliraptor! I love the name Ares and can't wait to watch him grow!

BostonBanker

No offense intended at all, but I'm with Dizzy - newborns aren't anywhere near as cute as when they've grown up a little bit. I love his face!
I think I get what Dizzy was saying (unless there's backstory and history I don't know about, which tends to happen with me!), and I agree that I like foals better when they are a few days old than newborn. All foals come out looking a bit like dinosaurs to me! Having said that, he's actually way more "horse" looking than all the warmblood foals I normally see. They look all squished up and weird for a day or two, but Ares looks so 'together'!

Mama is gorgeous as well! I know nothing about Lipizzans - what is the naming convention you spoke of?

Will he be as light as mom? What do you mean his name is already decided?
Sorry I missed these.
He and mom will both eventually end up solid white.
Lipizzans have a naming history.

There are traditional naming patterns for both stallions and mares, required by Lipizzan breed registries. Stallions traditionally are given two names, with the first being the line of the sire and the second being the name of the dam. For example, "Maestoso Austria" is a horse sired by Maestoso Trompeta out of a mare named Austria. The horse's sire line tracing to the foundation sire Maestoso.[14] The names of mares are taken from the maternal line in the pedigree. Names from the sixth and eighth generation back in the mare's pedigree chart are reviewed. Out of those two generations the name is chosen. Thus, in Lipizzan breeding, names come back periodically and there are names for each mare family line.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipizzan

Lizmo

Water Junkie
He'll grow up to be white? That's hard to imagine now! lol

Congrates, he's adorable!

BostonBanker

Huh, very interesting on the naming! I feel like I've seen a lot of numerals in Lipizzan names as well (from my vast experience of watching the Airs Above Ground shows they used to do when they were summering here in Vermont ;)); are those repeat breedings? So that if the cross in your example would be repeated, the next colt would be Maestoso Austria II?

Oh my lord, the little foal blanket! If I ever have a foal, I don't care if it is born in July, I'm making it wear a blanket for pictures. So cute!

Huh, very interesting on the naming! I feel like I've seen a lot of numerals in Lipizzan names as well (from my vast experience of watching the Airs Above Ground shows they used to do when they were summering here in Vermont ;)); are those repeat breedings? So that if the cross in your example would be repeated, the next colt would be Maestoso Austria II?

Oh my lord, the little foal blanket! If I ever have a foal, I don't care if it is born in July, I'm making it wear a blanket for pictures. So cute!

Yes, subsequent male colts would adopt numerals.

We're getting temps below freezing at night, and sometimes can get some bitter wind. It makes ME feel better.

Members online

No members online now.