SInce dog number two blew up

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have to do this over again. Dont know if anyone is interested in the process, but since i have a year to work on this i am going to do it right. I have to work these long skinny bones into the design which makes it particularly tricky. At first i made a bone and tried to reconstruct the dog over it, and that blew, and hit the scrap bucket. SO i have decided to make a much smaller scale model to figure out how to get around these bones. Each figure will be inches instead of feet and that will probably make the bigger ones easier to make. THe curled dog was certainly a cake walk after making so many dog beads of the same shape. Pics will be here by the first of the month to show the examples. I figure i can always sell the scale model or donate it as well.

bubbatd

Anxious to see !!! I think you should show everyone the steps you take from start to finish !!! Dog , fish or whatever !

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
a small brush dipped in water allows a person to get into the little areas and put pressure to where a finger cannot. works way better then the sculpting tools they sell. It's tiny toenails that are the hardest.:rolleyes:

Barb04

Super Moderator
I just sit back and admire your artistic work. I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us updated on your progress.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Yesterday i got to the guild thinking i would put the slip on him there since i had mixed up black and left an ample supply in both places, home and the guild.. I got there and i looked and looked. Frustrated because the piece is the right moisture content to adhere slip and it won't be by the time i get home, and it isn't there. I get out the weighted scale and get ready to mix up more...snarling to myself, go to the front to retrieve something and come back. I give the shelves a once more over and voila, there it is. Meaning that Beth the monitor saw me looking for it and realized that she had it in her private studio and put it back where she should never have taken it from in the first place. Oh the drama of beth and the guild.

So i went ahead and mixed up white, this requires following an exact recipe of grams and weighing it out on the scale then adding the right amount of water.,..the first time i added too much so i had to make a double batch.. which is how i ended up with enough black slip for the guild and for home in the first place.:rolleyes: i am still new to so much of this.

then i mixed a small amount of red mason stain to the slip and applied to the dog's belly, then very carefully painted the rest of the slip on. Pic coming.

I made a few bones and put the slip on them too, set them out to be bisque fired

made a platform for this thing to rest on, and started dog number one in small scale. It will not be the same as the big dog i have done but i had to add a small horse.:) I coudn't resist

Kelly the other artist on the project stopped by and said she didn't know why she didnt' think of doing a model first, it makes more sense then a drawing.
She agreed to do her small pieces for this as well before we start the large one.

Besides slabbing out a copious amount of clay to make 27 tiles for a Catholic school, that was all i got done yesterday. Wish i could have had a pic of my Devil gargoyle riding home in the car. He fired without a crack..horrray..that was the big fire that is the make or break of sculpture. HE's huge!

WOrking large and small at the same time is totally mind bending.
I did feel very complimented by the way my teacher looked at my small finished dog. It was a good look, and one i won't forget for a long time. I did something..i learned something important and now i have it down.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This whole process sounds so interesting. I feel like I can picture in my head what you are doing. Can't wait to see.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My teacher was very pleased and i do believe a bit excited about the whole project. I was able to pick up some more mason stains so i will have a variety of coat colours, i got a silver, a seal brown and a nut brown that i can use in combo for some hopefully realistic fur and skin tone. Maybe i can get my pics in photobucket..somehow..if not i will have my other puter back on friday and can load them up then.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Two things:

First, the title of this thread gave me a heart attack until I realized it was the dog art thread.

Second, sorry that your dog blew up. It sounds like everything is really starting to come together though. I can't wait to see what they look like stained and everything! Pictures pretty please???? *bats eyelashes*

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Smkie...do you love me? Really? Think carefully before you answer. Okay.
GIMME TEENY CURLED UP DOGGIE! NOW! MINE! *pouts and mumbles something about "yousaidyoulovedmewhywon'tyougivemewhatIwant?" :mad::p
Okay...better now. I LOVE IT! You're fabulous, wonderful,beautiful! Your work is stunning and breathtaking. srsly. :) I love you. A lot. that is all.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Prays that more people have that reaction so i can get dog food and vet coverage.:) YOUr so sweet Sunnypup i am glad you like them.

bubbatd

Looking great Smkie !!!! I think every dog own needs to start one and add their loved one through the years !!! I couldn't judge the size ,,,,,,

Members online